Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on Import Regulations from USA to Ireland

Options
  • 02-10-2010 4:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

Appealing to anyone who is up to date with the department of agriculture regulations on pet imports from approved non-eu states (which includes the USA) or anyone who has recently and personally brought a dog back to Ireland from the USA...

I'm an Irish citizen over in Arizona for 7 months on a research trip and I saved a small dog (Sadie) from a kill pound. Sadie is a little sweetheart, she is a dachshund mix, female, about 4 years old, she has been spaded, up to date on all her injections etc.

I'll be returning home to Ireland in April 2011 (April 30th) on Delta - Now I have no love with the folks in Delta, they have a ridiculous regulation on their website I know (or at least hope) must be false, stating:
    Pets Traveling to the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, and Other European Union Countries

Delta will not accept any live animals as checked baggage, carry-on baggage, or as cargo to the United Kingdom except as detailed below. Delta will accept pets as cargo to the Republic of Ireland. A six month quarantine will apply to all pets traveling to the Republic of Ireland.

I refuse to accept this is the regulation, I've looked into this further on http://www.lookintoireland.com/importing%20pets%20into%20ireland%20_cats%20and%20dogs.htm which states:

Pets from overseas

(a) From "qualifying countries"

If you want to import a dog or cat into Ireland from a qualifying third country the pet must undergo the following in this order:
    • Be microchipped
    • Be vaccinated for rabies
    • Be bloodtested after rabies vaccination and microchipping at least six months before entry (the pet must have a result greater than 0.5 IU/ml)
    • Be treated for tick and tapeworm between 24 and 48 hours before departure
    • Have a Veterinary Certificate (passport) issued or endorsed by the competent authority in the country of origin
    • Be accompanied by the owner (or person acting on their behalf) on an approved carrier into Ireland.
    Which makes much more sense!

As I said, knowing Delta, and their lack of know-how... or know anything for that matter, I'd tend to believe my own country and not Delta, but the more I reassure myself with other regulations and other sites, I still am drawn back to Delta's stupid line...

Can anyone clear this up at all? It is much appreciated

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Slan,

Paul & Sadie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

I brought my dogs from the US to Ireland last year and didn't have to place them in quarantine.You can contact the US Department of Agriculture and get the forms from them for your vet in the US.Basically you vaccinate for rabies,then get a blood test 6 months later to verfiy the vaccine is active.Your vet fills out the form which then goes back to the USDA and they stamp it and send it back.Basically your doing the quarantine while your waiting for blood test/paperwork after the vaccination.
    Once all shots are up to date and current worming,you bring all the forms with you to give the vet at the airport here.Once they are satisfied with it then you pick up the dog and off ya go.But if there is anything missing then they will slap on the 6 month quarantine,then it gets expensive,heh.
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

.Basically you vaccinate for rabies,then get a blood test 6 months later to verfiy the vaccine is active.
    As far as I know, for Irish regulations, you actually get the blood test a few weeks after the vaccine, and then you must wait 6 months from the date of the test result before you can import the dog to Ireland. But I've only ever done stuff on the Irish end of things, never on the US exporting side, so you may want to double check this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 wendyjohnson

We just moved our dog Oskar over from California few month ago! The process is not hard, but it does take time.

If you have not already done so, I would recommend taking your pup to the vet and start his/her titer test now. The process takes about 6 month. You do an initial test and then re-test again in 6 month to ensure the pup's rabies anti body is to a certain level. Once the process is complete, it's good forever provided you keep the vaccination up to date. If you let it laps you will have to wait another 6 month to retest.

Talk to your vet and make sure your vet knows where to submit the results. There's only one lab in Kansas that is certified. Our vet was awesome in that he called the Irish Consulate and double checked everything before he started. You don't want to have to wait for another 6 month because someone submitted the test to the wrong place.

Also, according to the official Irish Pet Passport policy, the only carrier Ireland will accept is Aer Lingus. And the only approved airports are JFK, Boston, Orlando, and Chicago.

I looked into doing the transport myself, but I end up deciding to get an agency to do this for me. I didn't want to show up in Ireland have have to ship my dog back because I mess up on the paper work!

The agency took care of getting his certification from the US Department of Agriculture, last vet checks, and the itinerary. They kept us up to date when he got off the plane from SFO to JFK, etc.

We dropped him off to the agency's office on a Monday and picked him up on a Wednesday at Lassen Hall.

If you want to do this yourself, PM me and I'll give you all the low down on what you need to do.

The agency we used is Pet Express (http://www.petmove.com/) They are totally awesome and if I have to move another pet I would totally use them again.

Good luck!
    Wendy

By the way, this is Oskar. :)

5044407178_c4e48a59ca.jpg

Advertisement