Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N97 'lock code' problem.

Options
  • 02-10-2010 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

A while ago I needed to access my work email on my phone so, in agreement with the IM manager, I installed Mail For Exchange and configured it to access the work's exchange server. As part of the configuration, there was a requirement that I activate the 'Lock code' and give it a 30 min time limit.
    I no longer need to receive work email on my phone, so I uninstalled Mail for Exchange. Everything went well, until I tried to 'disable' the Lock Code. When I try this, even though I have the correct code, I get an error message from the Phone which states that it is not possible to unlock the phone. All I've been able to do, is increase the time period from 30 minutes to 600.

I have tried reflashing the firmware (via OVI suite) and I have tried both a soft and hard sw reset, but nothing seems to help.
    Nokia customer care are as useless all front line call centres are. I knew more about the phone than the (very polite) drone who answered me.

I want to remove the lock, as I am selling the phone as soon as the new N8 is out.
    Does anyone have any suggestion?

NB: I need to check, but I think the phone is past its 2yr warranty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I don't think this has anything to do with Vodafone, so moving to Mobiles & PDAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You in settings; phone and sim?

Clicking 'phone unlock period', and then selecting the 'none' option?

Then your prompted for the code, and if its correct you shouldn't have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Been there, done that. Doesn't work
    All I've managed to do, is to lengthen the period from 30 min to 600min. Won't even allow me to go to 999 which is what Nokia says is the max I can insert.
    Davy wrote: »
    You in settings; phone and sim?

Clicking 'phone unlock period', and then selecting the 'none' option?

Then your prompted for the code, and if its correct you shouldn't have a problem

Italia wrote: »
    Been there, done that. Doesn't work
    All I've managed to do, is to lengthen the period from 30 min to 600min. Won't even allow me to go to 999 which is what Nokia says is the max I can insert.

Thats strange, it should be working. Thats exactly how its meant to be done, and it does work cause I have done it on a N97.

Does it let you change the lock code it self?
    And when you go into the 'autolock period', does the two options popup, one saying 'none' and the other 'user defined'?

Ok,, tried to change lock code - no problem at all.
    Wouldn't allow me to go back to the 12345 code, said I needed 7 digits, but when I inserted 1234567 it didn't complain. Tested the new code - works fine.

When I go into autolock, the 2 options are there. As soon as I click the 'none' option, I instantly get the message that the phone cannot be unlocked.

Is it possible that there is a certificate or file that could be blocking this feature?
    Thats strange, it should be working. Thats exactly how its meant to be done, and it does work cause I have done it on a N97.

Does it let you change the lock code it self?
    And when you go into the 'autolock period', does the two options popup, one saying 'none' and the other 'user defined'?

• Advertisement

To be honest, Im not sure. I dont remember ever having this problem.

Have you remote locking disabled? Its about 2 options below i think

Yep, first thing I checked :(

Stupid question (maybe). If I take the phone to phonemenders or another authorised Nokia centre, would they be able to do a factory restore - in other words, complete / total uninstall of current phone sw and then a reload to current level?
    It's the only thing I can think of to resolve this. Obviously some gremlin has fcuked up the cogs inside...
    Other option, is to keep it as it is, sell it with the lock enabled and tell the buyer the code. :rolleyes:
    Have you remote locking disabled? Its about 2 options below i think

I guess its worth a shot, try MPRC in sandyford ind est

Thanks

Advertisement