Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

communication between two Irish mobiles in the North

Options
  • 02-10-2010 9:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

tried this and got the message "the number you have dialled is not recognised ".:(

calling a vodafone from a 3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ootbitb wrote: »
    tried this and got the message "the number you have dialled is not recognised ".:(

calling a vodafone from a 3.

You you use full international code i.e. +353.8x.xxx.xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 28,234 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thats because your roaming, you need to use the country code, edit the number in your phone and add +353 before the 087 and drop the 0, it shoud read +35387xxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

When your in the north, your on one of the carriers who operate in the north's network, vodafone uk, o2 uk etc.
    These networks are all linked to the uk s network of phones, which means when your on their network, if your trying to call a southern Irish number (mobile or otherwise) you must use the international dialing code, so the + 353 must be used before dialing out. {whilst dropping your first zero)

Eg, an Irish vodafone number which is 087###### should begin + 353 87###
    Likewise a land line in Dublin which beings 01 451 #### should be + 343 1 451

Otherwise, when you try to call a mobile beginning 087 without the prefix the networks think you have made an error in the north as their is no numbers that have that prefix up there.

Hope this made some sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

yes, thanks all.

strangely it worked in Derry but not Strabane:eek:

maybe need to go a bit further east:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

ootbitb wrote: »
    yes, thanks all.

strangely it worked in Derry but not Strabane:eek:

maybe need to go a bit further east:)

Should work everywhere on the island. I usually store all my numbers in international format so it doesn't matter what country you are in. Except Australia as I recall they use an extra digit when dialling abroad. May have changed now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement