Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laying kingspan or xtratherm boards

• 02-10-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi I'm thinking of laying 100mm of kingspan boards instead of the fibreglass or rockwool as the joists are 150 mm deep.

A friend of mine has done it and said it was easy enough. Jigsaw and away you go. I've noticed people mention you need to seal it between the joists. If so, how why and with what?

I also want put down the old laminate floors from downstairs up in the attic so I can walk around and for storage. That means there will be a 50mm air gap. Will this cause any problems with condensation etc?

Chadwicks price is 40 euro for 100mm thick 8ftx4ft boards but take some off depending on how much i buy......65 square metres! I think paying extra is better in the long run.

Can anyone answer the above questions for me please especially about the sealing and making it air tight. Thanks mill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not sure exactly what your friend means by sealing but you generally cut the boards so that they're a tight fit.

BTW laminate flooring is merely a hard wearing cosmetic covering. It is not designed to support weight and is not strong enough. Any attempt to walk on unsupported laminate could result in its collapse.
    You need to use wooden planking or sheets of ply/osb to make a floor strong enough for walking and storage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The sealing os usually due to a sloppy cut/join so people use expanded foam..
    I would not use any form of rigid insulation, consider some thing like warmcel which is a loose insulation which u spread out easily.

In terms of the depth attic insulation is the best value for money around so I would fill the 150 as a minimum.
    You cant use the laminate as it is not designed for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Have a look at the kingspan thermafit. It's cut/grooved out insulation that Slots in between the rafters or joice.

It will save you hours cutting

http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/product%20_selector_2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gra10

Thanks.

The only reason I'm going for rigid board is because 150 mm of rockwool or fibreglass isn't good enough. I know you can go 300 rollsbut then I can't lay any boards on top for flooring.

The rigid board is insulating the water tank and has done a great job. Finally if I wad to lay it can you leave the old fibreglass underneath or does that have to be dispose of?

Cheers for the advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Gra10 wrote: »
    Thanks.

The only reason I'm going for rigid board is because 150 mm of rockwool or fibreglass isn't good enough. I know you can go 300 rollsbut then I can't lay any boards on top for flooring.

The rigid board is insulating the water tank and has done a great job. Finally if I wad to lay it can you leave the old fibreglass underneath or does that have to be dispose of?

Cheers for the advice

Leave it there does no harm :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement