Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ABN - Whats the craic???

Options
  • 02-10-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Calling all tradies......need to find out info on paying tax if ya get paid via your ABN? Do ya? Should i? Have you? paid tax

Been subin for the past few months now and haven't paid anything yet. Visa's u pin Jan and heading home but Might be coming back next year after a few months back home but it will be after this tax year ends.....can you see my dilema?? Just wondering whether to risk it for a biscuit or just do it for a chewit.

:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I've never worked on ABN but I've heard there is a 6 year backlog in processing lodgements. Some of the other lads may be able to confirm or deny this. So I guess it comes down to how much you owe v's how much you want to return/ and/or get found out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭notonlybutalso

two of my mates worked on abn. They never paid any. Having said that they had no desire to return to aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Yea, i suppose it really comes down to whether or not we want to come back eh! :confused: Dunno, it seems that everyone in ireland wants to get out of there.....goin by the emigration expo @the RDS. Play it by year i suppose! Cheers folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

In before the lock....

Ive never known an Irish lad here to declare ABN unless they were a PR with an established business. As said there is meant to be an unholy backlog. Know of a few lads who have become PR or obtained a de facto visa after years illegal who probably hadnt been declaring their ABN earnings in that time. Australia isnt the best at cross checking and cross referencing.

/dislcaimer- not that I am promoting tax evasion or anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I know alot of guys that have worked on ABN here for years and never paid tax. I also know a few guys that have got tax bills of up to 30 grand. It all depends on how long you want to stay in Australia for. If you stay long enough they will probably catch up with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Woodsy-eile

Cheers folks, i reckon im only small fries compared to some of the guys ive been workin with. Think i have my mind made up which but keep the aul fingers crossed anyways i reckon!!! :D

Advertisement