Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abramovich to sue the government?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE69024P20101001

**** him.

And Fu-ck these lads too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/8038000/Irelands-finance-minister-Brian-Lenihan-ridiculed-by-City-investors.html

We have suffered enough!

Some traders began making what one banker on the call described as "chimp sounds", while another cried out "dive, dive". A third man said "short Ireland" before adding "why not short Citi too?" [/
    Sensationalist journalism at it's best.

200 callers on the conference call and you're not gonna hear much of anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

From the Irish point of view it seems like an arsehole's thing to do, but in reality it's his money, INBS owe him in bonds and Roman Abramovich has every right to do what he's doing. I'd never expect him to consider the debt, nor should he be expected to! If I happened to be in his shoe's I do the same thing. Stop having a blinkered, one-sided view on the proceeding's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Nailz wrote: »
    From the Irish point of view it seems like an arsehole's thing to do, but in reality it's his money, INBS owe him in bonds and Roman Abramovich has every right to do what he's doing. I'd never expect him to consider the debt, nor should he be expected to! If I happened to be in his shoe's I do the same thing. Stop having a blinkered, one-sided view on the proceeding's.

He wants more money for them than they are currently trading in the market.

Lemming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Russian Mafia to sue Irish govenrment? Does it get any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Can we get Bono to launch a worldwide campaign to cancel Ireland's debt? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd like to short Ireland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Sign extradition treaty with Russia. Tell him he has to come to Ireland if he wants the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Are the irish government within their rights to tell bond holders to go f*ck themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

orourkeda wrote: »
    Are the irish government within their rights to tell bond holders to go f*ck themselves?

Yes I think they can and its what they should have told the f@ckers in Anglo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Mardy Bum wrote: »

Then why didnt they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Then why didnt they?

People think its because Germans make up the majority of the deposits in Anglo.

Can't bite the hand that feeds you.

Then why didnt they?

That is what everyone would like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dont answer the door,turn off the TV and hide behind the couch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Is it not the case that if he won, the judgement would be, "yes, Ireland owes you x amount Mr. Abrammovitch". Sure we know that! We cant end up oweing more can we?

Can we sue Chelsea FC for not employing enough Irish players instead? (might help the others win the English Premier league ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Do we now qualify for aid from Bono. Maybe he can get our debt cancelled as he has for other third world countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If he throws exiling Cowen to Siberia into the bargain he can do what he wants. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Then why didnt they?

Because they're far too busy slapping each other on the back in a tent at the Galway races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

In Soviet Russia government sue you.

• Advertisement

In Soviet Russia bankers would of been executed by balls hanging from a tree branch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

David Norris has it right - Nationalise the banks, take Anglo out to the mid-Atlantic and sink it.
    They're still not sure about the total cost of bailing out Anglo (€29-35bn) - over twice the HSE budget for this year.
    What is so difficult to understand about losing your cash when you make bad investments?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Voodoo_rasher

Mardy Bum wrote: »

the european central bank in Germany, you priceless Tool.

why not be kicked out of the eu and become a U.S protectorate then :rolleyes:

the european central bank in Germany, you priceless Tool.

why not be kicked out of the eu and become a U.S protectorate then :rolleyes:

To clarify who I was talking about regarding Anglo- the equity holders, my statement was pretty ambiguous to say the least, I apologise.

Your tone leaves much to be desired though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Stories like these - and ones like the Jay Leno story - will only have the effect of focusing anger outward from its rightful targets in this county.

If we're laughing at the sorry mess here, why shouldn't others?

He wants more money for them than they are currently trading in the market.

Lemming.
    Obviously you don't have the greatest understanding of the monetary system, Money is created from debt and that debt has to be repaid with interest, which means there is always more debt than there is money, so essentially Money = Debt and vise verse. Debt is only expended through more interest, and also when the money is carried to different market spaces (but that's primarily only debt of the market to which the money was exported from).

This also means that depending on how rich your market it, and how much interest on the money, the value of the money always grows with market.
    Remember, very single cent in your pocket is owed to someone, by someone. In the current way it works, if there was no debt, there'd be no money. There's very few currencies in this world who run a debt free bill,

So when Roman Abramovich received these bonds, that money was in our market, but now the bulk of that currency is gone to another market or has gone in debt. It's his money, it shouldn't matter to him if it isn't in our market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

if Abramovich or the Hedge funds had made big profits on Anglo or Nationwide would they have shared their profits with the Irish people?

they lost on their gamble, so tough luck , if they wanted security they should have bought Gold , but they took a punt and lost, so **** em

I wouldn't give them a cent

thebaz wrote: »
    they lost on their gamble, so tough luck , if they wanted security they should have bought Gold , but they took a punt and lost, so **** em
    Pun??? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

He might end up buying our bananaless banana republic for a euro if we go bankrupt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

David Norris has it right - Nationalise the banks, take Anglo out to the mid-Atlantic and sink it.
    They're still not sure about the total cost of bailing out Anglo (€29-35bn) - over twice the HSE budget for this year.
    What is so difficult to understand about losing your cash when you make bad investments?
    Not sure about nationalise all the banks, but definitely kick Anglo. They have no value to us. There is no rational reason why an ordinary Irish citizen should be indebted to paying back FF buddies & International investors for X number of years to cover their losses and put our country's future under a massive burden.. They invested, they lost - End of.

I can't see a reason we are trying to placate them to offset this

If you look at international media, these 'financiers' think we are fair game, they think our politicians are a joke.. We are not the first country to go though this and the most effective response from others was to play hardball. I'm no expert(but don't have faith in some of the so called expert's about, don't know who pays them, same old stuff as spouted about before about 'no sure, there'll never be a property crash here - we're special) but these guy's come in try to make money when we are growing, try to make money when we are contracting. They know the risks they've done it before. They also don't hold grudges, look at historical defaulters, money was flowing back soon after.. I don't know where this idea came from but it was defiantly not in the ordinary Irish persons interest.

Look it, this is high stakes for us, so we should play high stakes/hardball back. Hint we will tell them to go jump/drop out of Europe(if that is what Germany is afraid of)/isolationist/feck why drop out of UN and ally with North Korea. Other countries who experienced global 'investor' market attacks in the past have adopted these 'hardball' tactics and rebounded quicker than if they lay down and played yes sir/no sir..

I honestly believe this is a very important time in our history. And what happens now will be as important as the 1920's.

galwayrush wrote: »
    He might end up buying our bananaless banana republic for a euro if we go bankrupt.

Does that mean we have to succumb to Soviet Russia?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Nailz wrote: »
    Obviously you don't have the greatest understanding of the monetary system, Money is created from debt and that debt has to be repaid with interest, which means there is always more debt than there is money, so essentially Money = Debt and vise verse. Debt is only expended through more interest, and also when the money is carried to different market spaces (but that's primarily only debt of the market to which the money was exported from).

This also means that depending on how rich your market it, and how much interest on the money, the value of the money always grows with market.
    Remember, very single cent in your pocket is owed to someone, by someone. In the current way it works, if there was no debt, there'd be no money. There's very few currencies in this world who run a debt free bill,

So when Roman Abramovich received these bonds, that money was in our market, but now the bulk of that currency is gone to another market or has gone in debt. It's his money, it shouldn't matter to him if it isn't in our market.

So you're saying its all just a giant pyramid scheme?

I disagree. The sun shines, plants grow, animals multiply, humans exploit both. Overall there should be surplus resources in the world, obviously apart from finite ones, but there is more than enough for everybody to have a decent standard of living debt-free. Problems arise when there's too many people for the resources to supply. Then the rules of supply-and-demand come into play, and capitalism takes on a life of its own. In capitalism, there's always a loser. At the moment, we're losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They're talking about this on Prime Time now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Risk free return of 13% and it was clear that the guarantee was going to run out in September. He has no case. Bring it on Roman!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Doublin

Now we bending over for dodgy Russian oligarchs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

go back to Rome, stupid Roman :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭bobblepuzzle

Well he bought bonds through a now bailed out bank.... win some you loose some.... take the PAIN BITCH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I hate Brian Lenihan as much as anyone but the ****ing financial investors trying to act like they have the moral high ground is sickening, they're the ****ers who had to get bailed out by their respective countries, a bit of humility wouldn't go amiss. But just like Alison O'Riordan they haven't learned a ****ing thing from their near destruction of the economy.

I hate Brian Lenihan as much as anyone but the ****ing financial investors trying to act like they have the moral high ground is sickening, they're the ****ers who had to get bailed out by their respective countries, a bit of humility wouldn't go amiss. But just like Alison O'Riordan they haven't learned a ****ing thing from their near destruction of the economy.

I'd actually vote FF if Lenihan was in charge... he knows what he's doing, unlike the rest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Cmdr Keen wrote: »
    I'd actually vote FF if Lenihan was in charge... he knows what he's doing, unlike the rest!

wait, WHAT

• Advertisement

That's completely untrue, but sadly you're not the only person who thinks that, and that's why FF are in with a chance of getting into power again.

10 point explanation about how Lenihan could save FF would be awesome if you're up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

:pac::pac::pac: That's a good one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Propaganda works

That's completely untrue, but sadly you're not the only person who thinks that, and that's why FF are in with a chance of getting into power again.

10 point explanation about how Lenihan could save FF would be awesome if you're up for it.

Well its an opinion of mine... whether you believe its untrue or not, well thats your opinion... don't state it as fact

1 point explanation would even be good.............

Well its an opinion of mine... whether you believe its untrue or not, well thats your opinion... don't state it as fact

Go on, admit it. you're one of those spin doctors who gets paid a fortune for talking sh!te.......:pac:

sorry that was unnecessarily combative of me. I'm just sick of hearing the same people who complain about FF go 'Now that Lenihan...' If he died of cancer in the next 5 years he'd virtually be canonised. Imo the facts of the matter are he has perpetuated policies which look after his friends in the finance industry at the expense of the majority.

Its true he has made decisions, which many praise him for; the question is not whether they were the hard decisions, but whether they were the right decisions. Because of NAMA and other policies from Mr. Lenihan, there is no scope for stimulus by the govt. There is also a guarantee that everyone will be targetted by new taxes or cuts in the next budget(s).

If changes had been made to NAMA or if Nationalisation of either the Irish banking system in general or Anglo specifically had happened, there would be money to spare for those projects. Lenihan has definitely lengthened and deepened the recession that Ireland will experience.

OPENROAD; you are right in a way but it is not without reason; FG and Labour both held policies that are preferable to NAMA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If changes had been made to NAMA or if Nationalisation of either the Irish banking system in general or Anglo specifically had happened, there would be money to spare for those projects. Lenihan has definitely lengthened and deepened the recession that Ireland will experience.

What sort of savings do you think would have been achieved?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    What sort of savings do you think would have been achieved?

by nationalising the banks or accurately pricing the bad debts they hold, many many millions could have been saved. I think realistically at least 50%(perhaps more) of what was spent on NAMA could be saved. Also it is important to factor in the ownership of the properties that would result from nationalisation. NAMA does not incur a transaction of that sort, so the banks retain ownership of all properties. If nationalised those properties could at least be used to provide social housing, homeless shelters, OAP retirement homes, even schools. NAMA is the worst possible solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

by nationalising the banks or accurately pricing the bad debts they hold, many many millions could have been saved. I think realistically at least 50%(perhaps more) of what was spent on NAMA could be saved. Also it is important to factor in the ownership of the properties that would result from nationalisation. NAMA does not incur a transaction of that sort, so the banks retain ownership of all properties. If nationalised those properties could at least be used to provide social housing, homeless shelters, OAP retirement homes, even schools. NAMA is the worst possible solution.

Would we not be taking on the debts as well though, like Anglo which hardly was a success?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement