Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland v Manchester United Match Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

You're about to miss Bébé's début! :D

Ah balls....I wont complain if he grabs the winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

nullzero wrote: »
    You're right drawing this game isn't a disgrace, not putting in any type of performance is what I have a problem with.

United are playing shít but still drawing at The Stadium of Light with an extremely in-form Darren Bent up front, doesn't sound all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

SlickRic wrote: »
    you're not average.

you haven't lost yet this season, and you could still win this game.

'handing the initiative back' to Chelsea, by drawing to Sunderland, a team who have only lost twice in 21 matches there, does not make you average.

i hope you do become average though; it'd make me :D

Ok maybe I should clarify what i mean.
    This isn't championship form from united.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Doesn't Fergie have a ridiculously good record against Steve Bruce teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

by the way, this performance hasn't been great, obviously, but also, occasionally away from home, it's a bit of a dig, even for the top teams.

the team selection was stupid, but a point isn't exactly a disaster.

• Advertisement

Malbranque MotM. Deserved, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

How is that?

United are a club that need to be challenging for the title.
    Today we've met a spirited mid table side, and we have failed to create anything at all in the game.
    We look short in most departments.

If you're happy to see United become an average side that knock around the top four or there abouts then you'll be happy to see us playing the way we are today.

We're not going to get relegated, but we're handing the initiative in the title race away by not even putting in a performance.

You are not factoring in the players we are trying to get back from Injury who started today (Rio, Anderson, Owen) and the loss of our two best forwards last season (Rooney and Valencia). Dont believe the sh*t overreactive waffle that Dunphy comes out with. Ive seen united start seasons much slower and get less points and go onto win the league . Not just that, Chelsea have only played one decent team and they lost and they havent really had the kind of injury worries that united have had, I wouldnt be giving them the title just yet !

°°°°°

Doesn't Fergie have a ridiculously good record against Steve Bruce teams?

Only when we're going for the title:pac:

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I miss rooney

I usually have faith in a last minute winner, but I don't today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Is Nani under instructions to shoot every time he gets the ****ing ball? We are so impatient around the box.

°°°°°

Drumpot wrote: »
    You are not factoring in the players we are trying to get back from Injury and the loss of our two best forwards last season (Rooney and Valencia).

Valencia is the biggest loss IMO.
    Although I'm reliably informed that Nani's crossing is just as good as his:rolleyes:
    Rooeny in form would make a huge difference.
    We just look a bit rudderless right now.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You have to be kidding me.

He's had some very good spells and scored a few and knocked a few assists in as well, as you'd expect from a Unite dplayer.
    His crossing is terrible for a Manchester United winger and we've wasted huge chunks of games and handed possession away countless times because of his awful crossing. Every corner drops in front of oppossing defenders, every free kick goes no where, if thats the standards United are looking to achieve then we're in trouble.

I asked you who out there can do better then him , i can't see anyone can you ? Maybe you should be giving out about fergie not buying someone who can deliver better set pieces

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nani should stop ****ing shooting!

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Is Nani under instructions to shoot every time he gets the ****ing ball? We are so impatient around the box.

No other options and the keeper doesn't look overly reliable, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nani should stop ****ing shooting!

No one around was trying to make any space or available for the pass, you'd be be bloody criticizing him had he passed it backwards too.

°°°°°

I asked you who out there can do better then him , i can't see anyone can you ? Maybe you should be giving out about fergie not buying someone who can deliver better set pieces

Lets put it this way, if I'm playing for my team and I keep delivering awful corners and free kicks, someone else will take over and I'll be told to fvck off if I even attempt to take one after that.
    Nani's capable of good crossing, right now he's just not producing and we can't keep hoping he'll come good.

Glazers Out!

Fúck it.

°°°°°

I thought Vidic had nicked it.:mad:

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

United lucky not to have conceded there.

• Advertisement

Is this fergie time while Sunderland attack?

An extra minute that wont be remembered by the bitter ABU brigade, the next time they accuse extra time of been only allowed when it suits united . . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

United very lucky to get a point by the sound of it.

°°°°°

Football, bloddy hell.

Glazers Out!

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is this fergie time ? An extra minute that wont be remembered by the bitter ABU brigade . . :rolleyes:

Play was held up by Turner's yellow. Correct decision, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Archimedes wrote: »
    No one around was trying to make any space or available for the pass, you'd be be bloody criticizing him had he passed it backwards too.

Eh it's okay to pass backwards if nothing is on, rather than throwing possession away with hit and hope 30 yarders. It's called holding the ball up and it's what none of the united players have been able to do all day.

Clean sheet. Get the fúck in!!

fair result.

Macheda/Owen shouldn't have started, big mistake.

Owens an impact sub at best. Macheda not good enough imo.

Eh it's okay to pass backwards if nothing is on, other than throwing possession away with hit and hope 30 yarders. It's called holding the ball up and it's what none of the united players have been able to do all day.

It's called trying to fúcking score, and it's what footballs about.

°°°°°

Still unbeaten.
    A few doses of three points instead of one point would go down nicely though.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Another disappointing away performance. Individually, these results aren't that bad on paper (though the way we have drawn them is most worrying) but as a trend they are very worrying indeed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

baz2009 wrote: »
    No other options and the keeper doesn't look overly reliable, imo.

Really? I was impressed with him today. Then again, I'm always sympathetic to other goalkeepers!
    United lucky not to have conceded there.

As they were at most times during the game. At least we didn't concede another goal away from home, I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

2 games and 2 lucky results by utd. they really need to step it up if they want to challenge for the title

Johner wrote: »
    United very lucky to get a point by the sound of it.

In the first half, yes. But a draw was right result in the second half, imo. Not a great performance by any means, improvement is needed in and around the box. Everyone seemed to be getting in eachother's way, no one offering the passor giving an option.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Play was held up by Turner's yellow. Correct decision, imo.

Dont have a problem with that . . Have a problem with people not showing the same impartial view when united benefit from extra time played in injury time . . ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Well deserved point for Sunderland. Good job lads! Come on Chelsea tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Eh it's okay to pass backwards if nothing is on, rather than throwing possession away with hit and hope 30 yarders. It's called holding the ball up and it's what none of the united players have been able to do all day.

30 yarder?
    He was barely outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Watching United play over the last few years has become comparable to watching paint dry.
    Where is the high tempo,fluid ,attacking ,attractive football that Ferguson used to adopt ?
    Replaced with stale ,slow and pedestrian play and very negative tactics in away matches.
    1 shot on target today sums it all up.Stoke City would muster more than that.:mad:

°°°°°

We were lucky to get the point, but it always feels like a missed opportunity when you fail to beat a side like Sunderland even when they're on a decent run of form.

Glazers Out!

Really? I was impressed with him today. Then again, I'm always sympathetic to other goalkeepers!

Didn't notice him doing anything wrong in particular, he just gave off the vibe that it'd be worth a long range shot on him.:P

°°°°°

I'm delighted there's an international break coming up. Hopefully it can do United some good.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

We were lucky to get the point, but it always feels like a missed opportunity when you fail to beat a side like Sunderland even when they're on a decent run of form.

In terms of the title race it has to go down as a missed oppurtunity, Chelsea won't slip up many times this season, United are slipping up far too frequently and far too easily in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Unless something magical happens, United are heading for a clear 2nd place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

nani your no1 vote for MOM yeah ?:D
    its getting hard to pick 3 players that played well for MOM

I'm delighted there's an international break coming up. Hopefully it can do United some good.

I usually hate the international breaks, but I'm happy about this one, tbh. I hope to God that Rooney doesn't play for England, last thing he should do is play for England, imo. Evra will get a break too, which he seems to need.

p.s. Owen please f-off, you're just shít.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Watching United play over the last few years has become comparable to watching paint dry.
    Where is the high tempo,fluid ,attacking ,attractive football that Ferguson used to adopt ?
    Replaced with stale ,slow and pedestrian play and very negative tactics in away matches.

Agreed. Players like Nani, Anderson and Rafael should have been rushing forward and tearing defences apart. Instead they were jogging up the field and passing it back to Ferdinand, who in turn passed it back to Van Der Sar a few times. It was so negative and unadventurous. I can't recall ever feeling so bored watching them play before, but that's how I felt for the last two hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

PHB wrote: »
    p.s. Owen please f-off, you're just shít.
    So after you stopped being a mod, you became a child again, right?

°°°°°

nani your no1 vote for MOM yeah ?:D
    its getting hard to pick 3 players that played well for MOM

I think Nani needs a few weeks of like Rooney to get his head right.
    Being honest I don't think he's adpating to the pressure of being the top man on the right wing, he's always had someone else to clean up his mess, be it Ronaldo or Valencia.

Maybe he became accustomed to being a bit part player, he looks really short of confidence.
    I'd gladly see him up his game and be a world class player, it just isn't what he's doing right now.

When he's good, he's brilliant, the rest of the time he'd drive you mad. Every time we get a corner these days I'm praying he's not taking it and when he does take it I know what's coming.

Glazers Out!

Nailz wrote: »
    So after you stopped being a mod, you became a child again, right?

Cry me a ****ing river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Agreed. Players like Nani, Anderson and Rafael should have been rushing forward and tearing defences apart. Instead they were jogging up the field and passing it back to Ferdinand, who in turn passed it back to Van Der Sar a few times. It was so negative and unadventurous. I can't recall ever feeling so bored watching them play before, but that's how I felt for the last two hours.
    It's not like they were doing it out of choice. Sunderland worked their socks off all over the park which crippled us. Scholes and Fletcher barely had a second on the ball, hence their lack of impact on the game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement