Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Druidry has been recognised as an official religion in Britain

Options
  • 02-10-2010 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/finally-its-official-and-druids-get-a-tax-break-2361730.html
    Finally, it's official, and Druids get a tax break

By Martin Beckford in London
    Saturday October 02 2010

Druidry has been recognised as an official religion in Britain for the first time, thousands of years after its adherents first worshipped there.

The Druid Network has been given charitable status by the Charity Commission for England and Wales, the quango that decides what counts as a genuine faith.

It guarantees the modern group, set up in 2003, valuable tax breaks but also grants the ancient religion equal status to more mainstream denominations.

This could mean that Druids, the priestly caste in Celtic societies across Europe, are categorised separately in official surveys of religious believers.

Phil Ryder, chair of trustees for The Druid Network, said it had taken four years to be recognised. "It was a long and at times frustrating process."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Indeed, congratulations to Druids everywhere:)
    Asia

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Congrats to them

I hope it's not implying the modern people are connected to the ancient religion though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

bluewolf wrote: »
    Congrats to them

I hope it's not implying the modern people are connected to the ancient religion though :confused:

It'll probably end up that way. I read a book on Welsh heritage the other day claiming that Wicca was an ancient tradition that survived persecution through secrecy and cunning :s

Still, let's not knock it. This is a great start on making Paganism PC again. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Congrats to them

The majority of people (TDN included) who speak publicly about Druidry are well aware of what it is and what it is not, from whence it came, and what aspects are ours to create and reinvent. I suggest you do some research on the topic before forming any judgment about what people do or don't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

urizen wrote:
    It'll probably end up that way. I read a book on Welsh heritage the other day claiming that Wicca was an ancient tradition that survived persecution through secrecy and cunning :s

Still, let's not knock it. This is a great start on making Paganism PC again. Fair play.
    lol
    But yeah you're right :)

The majority of people (TDN included) who speak publicly about Druidry are well aware of what it is and what it is not, from whence it came, and what aspects are ours to create and reinvent. I suggest you do some research on the topic before forming any judgment about what people do or don't believe.

I suggest you take your defensive attitude away, I didn't say a single word about what people do or don't believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

I hope it's not implying the modern people are connected to the ancient religion though.

This statement you made seems to imply that you either hold an assumption about what TDN or other Druids believe insofar as their connection to ancient tradition - or - that you didn't actually read their statement and just wanted to toss out a snarky comment. Perhaps you'd be willing to clarify?

TDN makes their position quite clear on Druidry and its connections to ancient traditions as well as modern practices. Most other organized Druid groups do as well.

So, no - nobody is implying or stating direct lineage from any 'ancient religion'...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

So, no - nobody is implying or stating direct lineage from any 'ancient religion'...
    Druidry has been recognised as an official religion in Britain for the first time, thousands of years after its adherents first worshipped there.

The Indo clearly is, which I assume was what bluewolf was referring to.

Advertisement