Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless N Router which supports "simultaneous" use of USB Printer and NAS Hard Drive

Options
  • 02-10-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am looking for a N Wireless Router (pref Dual Band) which supports "simultaneous" use of a USB Printer (Dell All in One 962) and a NAS (2TB LaCie Network Space 2 with Ethernet and Hi-Speed USB)

I would like to connect the NAS to the ethernet port and the printer to the USB port of the router. My OS is Vista Ultimate+Linux (Dual Boot) and might soon buy another laptop with Windows 7.

Should I go for an expensive router like Apple Airport Extreme or Asus RT-N16?

Any thing else that you would suggest which is Windows & LINUX compatible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

dub45 wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    But unfortunately it wont support a USB printer. The USB port of this router could only be used to share an external usb storage.

Had a chat with LinkSys support today. None of their Wireles routers support this. So is the case with NetGear.

Any other ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Wcool

It looks like the router is supported by DD-Wrt and Openwrt. That means you could use the USB port to support a printer.

I have not tried this myself, so maybe do some more research.

EDIT: I just see another thread here!: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056042699
    Flashing seemed to work. Maybe ask LegendKenny if a printer works?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Just asked this question over on the netgear forums so I'll report back when I get a reply.
    Wcool wrote: »
    It looks like the router is supported by DD-Wrt and Openwrt. That means you could use the USB port to support a printer.

I have not tried this myself, so maybe do some more research.

EDIT: I just see another thread here!: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056042699
    Flashing seemed to work. Maybe ask LegendKenny if a printer works?

I haven't actually tried it so I can't answer.
    I'm not sure if there's any router out there with all these features.

The WNDR3700 is a great router, and even better when flashed with DD-WRT. so
    Sometimes I wish the range was a bit better, especially the 5ghz band. Unless ur within 10-12 ft this band is virtually useless.
    Pity :-(

The answer from the netgear forum is NO. no print server, no printer drivers etc.

• Advertisement

I was told my DrayTek support that their Vigor2820 Dual WAN router would serve my purpose. But I havent used DrayTek products before and they are bit costly. Any one got any experience with DrayTek?

net4hack wrote: »
    I was told my DrayTek support that their Vigor2820 Dual WAN router would serve my purpose. But I havent used DrayTek products before and they are bit costly. Any one got any experience with DrayTek?

Supposed to be ok just that they're over-priced

From the specification given on ASUS website I think both N13U and RT-N16 should support a USB printer and NAS...

From some research i found that only very few Wireless routers would support what I need. some of them are the following:
    1. D-Link DIR-855 Wireless N Quadband Router - 149 Euro
    2. D-Link DIR-825 N Router -
    3. D-Link DIR-655 Wireless N Gigabit Router
    4. D-Link DIR-685 Wireless N Storage Router
    5. Draytek Vigor2820 Dual WAN router - 240 Euro (Expensive!)
    6. Draytek Vigor 2920, 2920n, 2920vn

Eventhough I have send an email to ASUS they havent come back to me whether their N16 and N13U meet my requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭measurement

I have Windows 7, having upgraded from XP, and was doing ok with my Belkin wireless router with printer driver (though it was a bit difficult to work out how to instal it, as it didn't recognise Win 7).
    But the 4 ethernet ports failed today. It wasn't Win 7 compatible, and I was just jogging along waiting for a supported one to emerge, as I had to keep resetting the router, or reinstalling the printer port.
    I've now ordered a Belkin F7D3302uk (they seem to come with country codes - I first saw the aussie version) called a 'Share' wireless router, which has a usb port for 'printers' - I suspect its one-printer-at-a-time, but that's ok. It specifies Windows 7 compatibility, and if it hasn't got it, it will be going straight back:D
    I ordered from laptopsdirect.ie and delivery was half as much again as the product, but I need it urgently..... total about £68. There are some on ebay - just use the code above to search.

• Advertisement

I have Windows 7, having upgraded from XP, and was doing ok with my Belkin wireless router with printer driver (though it was a bit difficult to work out how to instal it, as it didn't recognise Win 7).
    But the 4 ethernet ports failed today. It wasn't Win 7 compatible, and I was just jogging along waiting for a supported one to emerge, as I had to keep resetting the router, or reinstalling the printer port.
    I've now ordered a Belkin F7D3302uk (they seem to come with country codes - I first saw the aussie version) called a 'Share' wireless router, which has a usb port for 'printers' - I suspect its one-printer-at-a-time, but that's ok. It specifies Windows 7 compatibility, and if it hasn't got it, it will be going straight back:D
    I ordered from laptopsdirect.ie and delivery was half as much again as the product, but I need it urgently..... total about £68. There are some on ebay - just use the code above to search.

Wday made u order another Belkin?
    Was it because u need USB printer support?

But I think from all the N Dual Band Routers Available as of now "NETGEAR WNDR3700" is the best if you dont mind connecting printer via USB from various reviews I read. One shocking thing i noticed is the price difference between different online sites.

Just check the price for "NETGEAR WNDR3700" (as of 09/10/10). Komplett seems outrageously cheap.

Komplette - €108.75
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/18_NETWORK/14_ROUTER/productdetails/20000107/NETGEAR_RangeMax_Dual_Band_Wireless_N_Gigabit/WNDR3700_100PES/default.aspx

Dabs - €182.43
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/netgear-rangemax-dual-band-wireless-n-for-cable-users-69LX.html

Pixmania - € 119,90
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3441167/art/netgear/wndr3700-wireless-router.html

Expansys - € 188.99
    http://www.expansys.ie/netgear-rangemax-dual-band-wireless-n-gigabit-router-uk-186899/

Wday made u order another Belkin?
    Was it because u need USB printer support?
    That was it - I've been keeping an eye out for one that was Windows 7 compatible and had a printer driver, because now that I've given away the XP laptop, I couldn't change anything on the old router - it 'thought' it belonged to an XP system and was difficult to configure. When it eventually died today, the Belkin was the only one with the printer server that popped up in searches. The old one was ok even if a bit dated (got it 2nd hand on ebay in the first place!) until the LAN connections all died together today.
    p.s. looking at the netgear prices just posted above, maybe I got a good deal!

I got mine @ Komplett ..€108 and free delivery !!

Got the Dlink DIR-855 2 days back and tried it.

GOOD:
    Detected the USB printer with out any problems using the Shareport utility. Even scan and fax functionalities are available.
    NAS drive works fine

BAD:
    Very poor wireless coverage and signal strength. The router is upstairs and I am getting very poor signal just one floor down even with 2.4 GHz. The 5 GHz is even worse. If the signal strength of a wireless router it is no good.
    Web interface is bit confusing

CONCLUSION:
    Going to return this and try either Netgear WNDR3700 (prefer bec of linux support) or LinkSys e3000 and forget about the USB printer connectivity for now. Not brave enough to try the Belkin Play Max which has 2 usb ports.

Question to those who used Netgear WNDR3700
    Does this one have a good signal strength and coverage?

It has really good signal strength but better on the 2.4Ghz than on the 5Ghz. This is normal characteristics of 5G anyway. I personally found that Location of this router is critical for signal strength. I was disappointed with it at first, but after I played around with it and moved it closer to where my wireless clients are it improved hugely. You really need to locate it away from metal objects and sources of interference and if possible have it within line of sight if u intend using the 5Ghz network.

And DD-WRT makes it even better ;)

Just an update on the Belkin 'Share' and using with Windows 7 64-bit including printer connection.
    It arrived today as promised, and installed really easily, with no need to use ethernet cable. :). No paper manual, but I had found it online before buying, which was handy.
    One or two glitches while the router 'settled down' to recognise the connection :(, and I had to add the Opendns settings manually, but I expected that.
    (search for opendns in Boards.ie if you want to find out why I use it).

The only problem was recognising the printer. It seemed to do be connected, but nothing would print, even when I connected it directly to the laptop with the USB cable, and I couldn't add a port. :mad:
    Then I found the heading 'networked and USB devices' by right-clicking the router icon (having seen a screenshot in the manual, otherwise I wouldn't have known where to look). There I found that the default setting for the printer was to 'connect manually'. :rolleyes: I changed it to automatic (or always on, I'm not sure) and there I was - all sorted.
    I came downstairs and connected the ethernet cable (prefer more bandwidth for Skype) and all worked ok.
    I've just disconnected that, and its still 'excellent'.:D
    I'm happy with my purchase.
    However, if anyone bought this item thinking that they could simultaneously connect a printer AND hard drive, by just using a USB splitter, I can confirm that it doesn't work. It sees the hard drive first, and is confused about the printer.

One thing I noticed somewhere in the settings is that the router has an option of 'self heal'. this means that at a frequency you decide yourself, the router will power off and restart. Having had to do this manually in the past, on my old router, I'm happy with it, but it could be the cause of 'problems' that other people noticed, if its doing it too often.

net4hack wrote: »
    >>>>
    Not brave enough to try the Belkin Play Max which has 2 usb ports.
    >>>
    If I'd seen that one, I might have gone for it. :eek:

Advertisement