Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great runs in Wicklow?

Options
  • 02-10-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hey All,
    My two friends and I are training for the upcoming Dublin Marathon, and have been doing some decent runs here and there.
    We're based in Greystones, and do runs from Tesco to Woodies at the southern cross, and the King of Greystones loop, and up the dual carriage way from Charlesland to the Wexford exit.
    But we're looking to find a real nice, maybe grass or at least asphalt covered run that covers 25 to 30 km, and isn't too hilly!
    any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey All,
    My two friends and I are training for the upcoming Dublin Marathon, and have been doing some decent runs here and there.
    We're based in Greystones, and do runs from Tesco to Woodies at the southern cross, and the King of Greystones loop, and up the dual carriage way from Charlesland to the Wexford exit.
    But we're looking to find a real nice, maybe grass or at least asphalt covered run that covers 25 to 30 km, and isn't too hilly!
    any suggestions??
    Get the hills in. It'll stand to you in the long run. If you must stick with the flats, head out the Newcastle Road direction. just watch for cars/traffic on the narrow twisty roads. Or else head in the other direction to Shankill/Shangannagh Park and back.

If you fancy some hills, head to Bray and then up towards Enniskerry, or do a loop that takes in Windgates, Delgany, etc. Some lovely running in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pokerkings3

Thanks Krusty,
    we'll just keep pegging away at the hills!! we were hoping for a more grassy run, as keeping an eye on the knees and joints!
    we're out tomorrow, I'll suggest about a run to enniskerry, but you're right, there are some tight roads up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks Krusty,
    we'll just keep pegging away at the hills!! we were hoping for a more grassy run, as keeping an eye on the knees and joints!
    we're out tomorrow, I'll suggest about a run to enniskerry, but you're right, there are some tight roads up there!
    Enniskerry (via Bray) is fine, with good footpaths. It's the road to Newcastle that's a bit dodge. Can't really think of any substantial grassy areas that are flat, apart from Shanganagh Park (around a 2.5 mile loop). When I needed grass for a 20+ mile run, I headed into Phoenix Park.

Can you run around Kilruddery House? I think some of the guys have run in the grounds before.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

I believe there is a coastal path from Kilcoole railway station to wicklow town that shoud be flat enough and there and back would be a good long run. I haven't done than one but have run the section from Grystones to Kilcoole which is fine though you have to run on elevated Concrete slabs which is probably not good for your knee concern. Nice and peaceful though.
    I also run out through Delgany towards the N11 and turn into the forest by a worn path at the first round about. If you keep to the paths to the right it takes you up through the glen behind the golf course, past the Octagon and out at Kindlestown Wood where you would have a very welcome downhill stretch back into Delgany. It is hilly but worthwhile run and the ground in the glen is nice and soft. Doing laps of it to make up the distance would kill me but maybe/ probably you guys are fitter! well worth adding it as a section of your long run and if you are comfortably crossing windgates it should be grand.

Advertisement