Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 'cheaper' make up

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

tomissex wrote: »
    Do people buy the pink or green Multi Action mascara? I think the green one has false lash effect but i'm just wondering which one is it that people are raving about?:)

I have the green one, I haven't seen the pink one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Loving L'oreal secrets primer.
    Its 10euro I think, and completely smooths out my complexion before putting on make-up. I have big pores on my cheeks and this works a treat. Highly recommend it!!

I totally agree for the price it's amazing! One of the best I have ever tried since Smashbox. I recommend it 10/10 :D

Essence cosmetics are great as well, I'm loving the eyeliner, mascara and nail polish.

Loving Avon cosmetics also, they always have special offers on I have gotten great products for dirt cheap at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

I got the essence mousse foundation and it is absolutely fantastic! I have never had a foundation that suited my skin tone so well. It looks a lot darker in the tub than it does when you put it on. I also got their blush, which is a pretty shade of pink. Their eyeshadows look really nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I just got the essence mouse foundation and I gotta say, it's fantastic for the price (3.99). Nice matt finish and great for pale-ys like me. Ironically their "4" shade is the palest, and it has great coverage.
    Also got their pen eyeliner in black and it's great too. I'm delighted.
    Hurrah for essence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Quiet_thought

I love the essence stuff!
    http://www.essence.eu/ie/products/face/concealercoverstick.html
    Swear by this concealer, it's great and costs nothing!!! :D (not literally of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I got the green multi action mascara after reading this thread - its kinda dry though to apply - wondering if the pink is the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭islander35

Essence fake eyelashes (3euro-love them!) and eyeliners!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I couldn't find the L'oreal primer! Is it in a lil pot? Any Cork girls seen it recently? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

ams wrote: »
    I got the green multi action mascara after reading this thread - its kinda dry though to apply - wondering if the pink is the same?

Wondering the same!
    I do like the green, the brush is huge so my lashes really don't clump (first time ever!) but it is quite dry, feels like it's really old when ya buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Got some 17 stuff in the 3 for 2 and the Blush and Glow blusher/highlighter is so lovely!! Swirl it together and it give a lovely golden/peach glow, for 5.29 bargain!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭cmrm

moonflower wrote: »
    10 hour sleep effect is lighter coverage than Healthy Mix. Try their new one, Bio Detox. It's got good coverage and it's made from mostly natural ingredients so hopefully it will be skin-friendly.

I tried a sample of this Bio Detox-not good, smelled like clay and was really hard to blend, was very patchy.
    think ill have to stick to using Healthy mix with double wear over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭xoixo

Does anyone have any tips on affordable, decent fake eyelashes??

I'm looking for volume rather than length, and the ones I've bought in Boots before were just too long. When my head was tilted and I looked up they reached my eyebrows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

xoixo wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips on affordable, decent fake eyelashes??

I'm looking for volume rather than length, and the ones I've bought in Boots before were just too long. When my head was tilted and I looked up they reached my eyebrows!

Have you tried the Girls Aloud ones? Loads of my friends use them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Loving this thread, going to raid the Essence counter at Boots tomorrow!

Speaking of Boots, I recently bought No7 exceptional definition mascara (to get a free eyeshadow pallet), and I think it's amazing! I'm very fussy about mascara and usually No7 ones are rubbish, but this has a two sided brush which builds volume and curls, really good. Might grab an Essence one though to compare.

Got the NYC liquid eyeliner recently but my old Rimmel one was a bit better.

Rimmel have great shades in nail varnishes. I like red/cherry/black ones, so they really do the trick.

Max Factor black eyeliner pencil is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Aldi Lacura pressed powder is great.

I also like Collection 2000 Mosaic Glow pressed bronzing powder - its lovely and shimmery - works as good as expensive brands.

Lipstick - I've always used Lancome, I dont think I'll ever change even though its pretty expensive.

I need a blusher - I have Plum Nuance by Estee Lauder but it smells weird and going in the bin - any suggestions for good lipsticks and blushers girls????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Jennyfer

Max-Factor Pan Stick, it just does for my skin what no other foundation does! And Max-Factor Falsh Lash Effect mascara, brilliant! Everything else I change around all the time, but these 2 are my must-haves! Getting quite attached to Bourjois Blush aswell so might be sticking with that in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

ams wrote: »

I got the pink and I'm not that impressed, will prob just leave it in my boyfriends if I forget my makeup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Soap and Glory's Arch of Triumph is really good. Think it's about 12 euro.
    It has an eyebrow pencil on one end and a highlighter for under your brows / corner of your eyes on the other end.

S&G stuff is 3 for 2 in Boots at the moment as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

Bambi2 wrote: »
    I need a good powder for setting my make up and can't see the point in going for a dear brand for "just powder" can anyone recommend a good cheap-ish one? Pretty please

New York Colour has a loose powder which they market as a foundation. It has a tiiiiiiny bit of coverage in it so not really any good as a foundation but brill for setting make-up. You can get it in pharmacies and superdrug defo do it. The powder costs 4 euro and is always getting good reviews on websites

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭eleven

Hey everyone!

Was reading this thread the other night, and thought I had to investigate!

Okay, went pennys today... got the faking it matt fake tan for TWO euro! Tried it out, looks great, such a natural colour not orangey (I never really use fake tan as I find it too awkward and time consuming, and hey I'm pale and interesting, but this was really good) went on easy, smells nice, and washes off

Went straight to the essence stand and got that green and black mascara, which I havent tried yet but will update on. I am the queen of mascara, I have big eyes and I like my eyelashes to be DRAMATIC!

Next to the essence stand (this was pennys oconnell st dublin btw) there was a Catrice stand (nope, never heard of it) where I got a Carbon black eyeliner pen. Best eyeliner I've used in I can't remember how long and as good as any other eyeliner pen I've ever used, was 2.99 or something.

Also by Catrice I bought a nailvarnish similiar to mushroom by barry m,could be a fraction darker, also really cheap,2 euro or so, and very good coverage, consistency and you get loads for your money.

Okay, last thing I got was a pennys brand called Gilt, which is all gold stuff. I got this gold cream eyeshadow which isn't as good as I hoped... good packaging but the cream slides off and doesn't pack too much of a gold colour punch... I'm hoping that if I use a base of a yellow mac eyeshadow I have it will come out better.

Oh yeah! also got Pennys fake eyelashs which I haven't tried on yet (goin to a ball on friday so saving myself for that!) but they look gorgeous, they're really fluttery looking, dark black, lashes are close together and they sweep to the side... if that makes sense, and were again only 4 euro.

And that folks was my pennys shopping spree for today!

(also got earrings, one of those double rings and vasaline and all of it for under 25!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

I really like catrice too, only tried and eyeliner and nail varnish be quite impressed, plan on getting a few more of there nail polishes, as they are such nice colors and the packaging is really nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I bought a new Bourjous foundation called Bio-Detox. I find it's very good for day wear and it smells lovely to.

I used to use the Benefit pencil eyeliner but they changed it awhile ago and don't like the newer version. I bought the Bourjous Kohl eyeliner and its just as good if not better.

I also got the GOSH primer after reading some reviews here. Very good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Does anyone know if they do Catrice anywhere in Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

cmrm wrote: »
    I tried a sample of this Bio Detox-not good, smelled like clay and was really hard to blend, was very patchy.

I didn't notice the smell but didn't think the coverage was great tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

Bought the Essence Maximum Definition mascara (orange and black tube) and am thrilled! I usually buy cheaper mascaras for day time use only but this one is my new going out favourite (I usually favour Lancome or Dior or YSL). It's clump free claim is bang on! It provides a really nice finish: no clumps, great true black colour and it really separates and lifts your lashes. It was about €3.29 or thereabouts. I am never going to buy Rimmel or Maybelline again. I am unemployed at the moment so have to find make-up on the cheap end of the market that is fab. Also got a nice Essence lipstick in Femme Fatale which is a nice purpley pink shade that is not too dark -the only unusual thing about it is that it reeks of bubblegum which you either will love or hate :) Got a great little pot of Colour and Go nail varnish in Gold Rush - it's a nice subtle pale shimmery almost white gold. I love that it is not too glittery. Not only is Essence much cheaper than other "cheap" products, a lot of their stuff is way better!
    You can check out all their products on the website:
    http://www.essence.eu/us/home.html

Okay,tried out the mascara.... it's okay. It is a bit dry, and on lots of application you get long non clumpy lashes, so very good on volume but not good on thickness.

Like someone else said, a good boyfriends house emergency!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭moonshinerocks

eleven wrote: »
    Okay,tried out the mascara.... it's okay. It is a bit dry, and on lots of application you get long non clumpy lashes, so very good on volume but not good on thickness.

Like someone else said, a good boyfriends house emergency!

Which mascara was this?

eleven wrote: »
    Hey everyone!

Was reading this thread the other night, and thought I had to investigate!

Okay, went pennys today... got the faking it matt fake tan for TWO euro! Tried it out, looks great, such a natural colour not orangey (I never really use fake tan as I find it too awkward and time consuming, and hey I'm pale and interesting, but this was really good) went on easy, smells nice, and washes off

Went straight to the essence stand and got that green and black mascara, which I havent tried yet but will update on. I am the queen of mascara, I have big eyes and I like my eyelashes to be DRAMATIC!

Next to the essence stand (this was pennys oconnell st dublin btw) there was a Catrice stand (nope, never heard of it) where I got a Carbon black eyeliner pen. Best eyeliner I've used in I can't remember how long and as good as any other eyeliner pen I've ever used, was 2.99 or something.

Also by Catrice I bought a nailvarnish similiar to mushroom by barry m,could be a fraction darker, also really cheap,2 euro or so, and very good coverage, consistency and you get loads for your money.

Okay, last thing I got was a pennys brand called Gilt, which is all gold stuff. I got this gold cream eyeshadow which isn't as good as I hoped... good packaging but the cream slides off and doesn't pack too much of a gold colour punch... I'm hoping that if I use a base of a yellow mac eyeshadow I have it will come out better.

Oh yeah! also got Pennys fake eyelashs which I haven't tried on yet (goin to a ball on friday so saving myself for that!) but they look gorgeous, they're really fluttery looking, dark black, lashes are close together and they sweep to the side... if that makes sense, and were again only 4 euro.

And that folks was my pennys shopping spree for today!

Okay,tried out the mascara.... it's okay. It is a bit dry, and on lots of application you get l

(also got earrings, one of those double rings and vasaline and all of it for under 25!)

Sorry should have included my original message!

Tried out the essence green and black mascara,which is the false lash effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Does anyone know where in Cork city I can find this Essence brand? I desperately need a make up bag over haul but have been putting it off because it's so expensive, this brand sounds like it provides a perfect compromise between price and quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Daisy!

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Does anyone know where in Cork city I can find this Essence brand? I desperately need a make up bag over haul but have been putting it off because it's so expensive, this brand sounds like it provides a perfect compromise between price and quality!

I've seen it in loads of Dunnes Stores and pharmacies including Boots so you should be able to get it in any of those :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Sapsorrow wrote: »

Pennys and Boots stock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ok found Essence in Moderne here in Cork (neither boots had them), in case anyone is interested loads of the Essence stuff is 1/2 price in baskets up at the front counter. I didn't buy anythignr educed myself so for around 24euros I got...

Shimmer effect eyeshadow in brown -love it

Black mania carbon black eye liner pen -LOVE this so much

long lasting eye pencil - love it

Eyebrow designer (pencil and comb) - good but got a slightly too dark colour for my complexion

Clear lash and eyebrow gel mascara - love it

multi action false lashes mascara (black and green tube) - give no volume or curl, give a bit of length and really separates your lashes, very good for a subtle day time look I suppose, bit disappointed tbh. I'll just use it on my lower lashes I think.

Maximum definition mascara (black and orange tube) - really great, loads of volume and curl, worked really well on top of the false lashes mascara.

Lipstick - ok, creates quite a thin glossy coat, think I prefer a waxier matte lippy myself. Doesn't apply that evenly, it kinda goes to the edges of your lips.

XXXL shine clear lip gloss - very nice and not too sticky at all

Not sure how well these will all last throughout the day, will give them a proper test run on my long shift at work tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Wow, great tips here! And +1,000,000 on Essence mascaras - they're amazing!
    Question: anyone know any good eyeshadows for brown/amber eyes?

Advertisement