Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guardianship question r.e. leaving the country for vacation

Options
  • 02-10-2010 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    I have just been told my little boy, who I am a legal guardian of and have him once a week overnight, was on holiday for 1 week in a foreign country without me knowing. What is the legal requirement? I honestly thought I had to give permission for that to happen - not that I would have minded - or am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

partner wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have just been told my little boy, who I am a legal guardian of and have him once a week overnight, was on holiday for 1 week in a foreign country without me knowing. What is the legal requirement? I honestly thought I had to give permission for that to happen - not that I would have minded - or am I wrong?

Your permission must be sought before your child is taken abroad. That must be why you weren't informed beforehand.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Its up to you whether to push this or not but imho, if you wouldn't of minded than I wouldn't get too worked up about it. I would though have a word with your ex about doing these things and I'd look in to how he/she got away with this.

• Administrators Posts: 14,056 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

padr81 wrote: »
    I would though have a word with your ex about doing these things and I'd look in to how he/she got away with this.

Your post isn't clear as to whether you are mother father, sole/joint guardian... for the purpose of MY post, I'm assuming your the father, and joint guardian!

It's a grey area as to whether a guardian has to give consent, or has to object to it..

If there is no official objection from the other parent, it is assumed they consent. As in, very few parents, carry a "permission slip" from the other parent to show the give their consent, it's usually "assumed" that the parent isn't objecting.. do you know what I mean?!

If you wouldn't have objected, maybe it's best to just let your ex know that you wouldn't have had a problem with it. Maybe she deliberately didn't set out to deceive you, and just booked it last minute, and didn't think to tell/ask you, because she knew you wouldn't object anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I would have thought the other parent would have had to tell you:confused: I was told before I would not be able to leave the country with my son without proof his dad agreed (we have Joint Guardianship)

I know my boy will be going to London when he is older (aunt there) but if his dad thinks he is going without telling me there will be war. I have no problem with him going but I just want to know where he is!

OP look into it, it is only fair. Ask yourself if it were the other way around would the other parent go mental? Answer - probably.

Talk to him/her and see what the story is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I leave the country all the time. No one has ever asked me once to prove anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I leave the country all the time. No one has ever asked me once to prove anything.

Thats all well and good from your point of view, I think the question here though is if you found out your kid wasn't where you thought they'd be, you'd panic so it's only polite to let the other parent know where they'll be.

As said OP, if you don't mind then I wouldn't make a big deal out of it but do mention in passing that you just want to know where your child is at a given time

RedXIV wrote: »
    Thats all well and good from your point of view, I think the question here though is if you found out your kid wasn't where you thought they'd be, you'd panic so it's only polite to let the other parent know where they'll be.

As said OP, if you don't mind then I wouldn't make a big deal out of it but do mention in passing that you just want to know where your child is at a given time

Oh no I agree it is polite and the right thing, but OP asked if the parent needs permission. No she doesn't.

Moving to another country is another thing. Or having the child in another country on the other parent's time is also dodgy. That is certainly questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Oh no I agree it is polite and the right thing, but OP asked if the parent needs permission. No she doesn't.

Moving to another country is another thing. Or having the child in another country on the other parent's time is also dodgy. That is certainly questionable.

ah my apologies, I mistook your meaning.

We are in agreement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Forgot to ask OP, who's surname does the child have, that can make a difference. My son has his fathers surname, which is why I was told he would have approve of trips abroad!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Forgot to ask OP, who's surname does the child have, that can make a difference. My son has his fathers surname, which is why I was told he would have approve of trips abroad!

Doesn't make any difference.

I would be careful of Canada. I only know of two people being asked for letters and they were going to Canada. But how stupid is that? If you were serious about abduction you would just forge a letter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would be pissed off if my kids while with the other parent were taken out of the country with out me knowing about it before hand. Letting you know is common curtsey.

Advertisement