Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad ammo??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

I rang him yesterday and again he vouched fo the accuracy of the gun, We agreed that I would make sure the scope was ok and after that if the problem still persists I would go back to him and talk about it. Can't ask for anymore than that!!

I'll let ye know how I get on in the near future, I'll update this thread then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

I got a couple of boxes of win Winchester for the tikka .223 an I might as well have bin throwing them down range for all the good they did.
    They are the only ammo that my tikka didn't like.

If I was you I would be taking the scope off and cleaning everything and refitting it and use loketight. Worth a try
    And get rid of that Winchester ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    I got a couple of boxes of win Winchester for the tikka .223 an I might as well have bin throwing them down range for all the good they did....

Ahem - see post #22 above - Quote - 'Over here in UK since about the beginning of the year we have been having problems with Winchester centrefire ammunition, particularly in .223Rem, .243 and .270 calibres.'

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

What was wrong with the rifle after all patsat? I seem to be having the exact same problem with my cz527 at the moment. Its a .223 and is in immaculate condition. Ive millet mounts and a swift premier 6-24x50 scope just fitted. Its nearly grouping worse than yours at a 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Its been mentioned somewhere earlier, but my first suspect would be copper fouling. I've seen very accurate rifles very quickly start spraying bullets alover the place when the copper builds up. A bad dose of copper will require several cleans to get rid of with suitable solvents. I use M Pro 7, but there's lots of good ones out there.

• Advertisement

With a different scope and different ammo I got a 1.5 inch group, but have not tried it again with the leupold.

It's not worrying me much any way because since then I've fitted an aids,timney trigger and getting a recrown so hope that will improve it vastly!

I will try it then with My bushnell and my leupold to see if it was the scope that was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Well lads, I took the swift scope off the gun and put the old hawke scope on it and I shot a 5 shot group at a 100 yards. It was a 1.75'' agroup and Im getting a one hole group at 50 yards.:confused: Im using remington 50 grain hollow points. I was using 55 grain hornady v maxes before and they shot a bit better.

Just to update how this rifle has progressed.

Fired a shots with it today at paper using a handful of Hornady bullets (not sure of weight or make) that Sean Harding gave me to try out in the rifle.

I used my Leupold Vx3 even tho I still wasnt sure if it was holding zero or not.:rolleyes: At 100 yards in a fairly strong wind I was getting groups under an inch.

Big relief for me knowing that the leupold I bought actually works! :cool:

Once the evening gets longer I'll try a few different boxes of ammo and see what happens! I'll throw up pics when i get the chance!

Advertisement