Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Clubs In Ireland?

• 02-10-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Is there many wrestling clubs in ireland?
    Are there many irish fighters that would use Wrestling as there Main Attribute for a MMA Fight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

There doesn't seem to be many and even MMA clubs don't seem to concentrate on it (seems to be huge emphasis on BJJ and Muay Thai but not wrestling)

Its pretty odd because wrestling is supposed to be one of the most important aspects of MMA. I'd love to do wrestling if some clubs would open up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭NG-DOC

TheTMO wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be many and even MMA clubs don't seem to concentrate on it (seems to be huge emphasis on BJJ and Muay Thai but not wrestling)

Its pretty odd because wrestling is supposed to be one of the most important aspects of MMA. I'd love to do wrestling if some clubs would open up.

MMA clubs don't concentrate on it (generally speaking) because there is so few coaches. There are plenty of BJJ and Muay Thai coaches so these become the main focus.

It's not odd for this exact reason. There is minimal coaches around, so despite it being an important aspect of the game, there is nobody to teach it.

In terms of classes/coaches there used to be wrestling classes in the hercules gym in town, SBG have a Sergey Pikulskiy who trained with the Moldavian national team, and PCCB have John o rawe who is the Northern Ireland wrestling coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Tallaght Martial Arts Academy

Our clubs dedicates Thursday classes to wrestling as it is such an important aspect and our club members not only compete in bbj or mma comps but wrestling comps as well.

We are lucky enough to have the ucd wrestling coach as part of our wrestling staff. Brian Breslin he has won many wrestling titles and since he wrestled for hercules we also do wrestling workshops with the hercules coaches.

But again its like darragh said there are not many wrestling coaches out there like bjj or thai. We are one of the lucky clubs who do.

Daniel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Chum Sut have the best Wrasslin in Irish MMA.
    They arnt just a Wrasslin club but they do Wrasslin for MMA really well.
    Peter Duncan and Ali Maclean are a very good example of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

As darragh said, there are very few coaches. But there are some out there.

Marty,
    Ali mc clean is coached by john o rawe also as he runs a wrestling club out of Chum sut. This has been going for some time. (but this is not to take away from toms great work also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

hi daniel, our new MMA program is starting next friday at 7.30. it will run mondays and fridays at 7.30 and saturday at 2pm. our new coach has his background in wrestling and has coached at one of the most respected MMA gyms in the world as well as having over 20 pro fights himself and has fought in the WEC. more news to follow early next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Marty Mc wrote: »
    Ali mc clean is coached by john o rawe also as he runs a wrestling club out of Chum sut. This has been going for some time. (but this is not to take away from toms great work also)

I know Marty. I was just using Peter and Ali as an example to answer the OP`s question "Are there many irish fighters that would use Wrestling as there Main Attribute for a MMA Fight?"

I know Marty. I was just using Peter and Ali as an example to answer the OP`s question "Are there many irish fighters that would use Wrestling as there Main Attribute for a MMA Fight?"

No worries. Just thought i was updating u because you are so 'far,far away';)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BMD_ISH

How old is too old to learn the basics of greco-roman or freestyle wrestling and where is it possible in the north of Ireland? Anyone know of a wrestling coach / personal trainer or a basic class where one could get a confidence building introduction? I didn't know that even younger people could access this sport in Ireland these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Marty Mc is a wrestling coach and takes a class once a week at Evolve in derry and once every other week in Limavady.

see www.evolvemartialarts.com

He takes other classes too around Derry but not sure of exact times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BMD_ISH

Jason,
    Thanks for your reply. I will try to make contact with him

^^im on here from time to time - if you want you can pm me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Wasn't there a wrestling club run by a Russian lad somewhere near Dominick St/Bolton St area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Hercules is still alive and kicking on lurgan st afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 TheFury

John O'Rawe is the N.I coach and head of the talent squad. He's Red Hog wreastling clubs coach also. He does few classes a week in Chum Sut and a Thursday night class in Fight Academy Ireland ( PCCB ) plus other sessions I'm not sure of. He's freestyle wreasting and it's a massive benifit for MMA, it lets you dominate people and control were you take the fight. I love wreastling :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Hercules is still alive and kicking on lurgan st

Ye its still goin strong, they train tues & thurs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Seen in the Irish fighter a club advertised for Rathmines called Wolverines and a mobile 0863625841 given for it. Have texted to this number but no replies. Anyone know anything about this club ?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bres

It's in St.Marys school but it's just for the school kids...

Advertisement