Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to update to NVidia GeForce Fx 5700

Options
  • 02-10-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, hope someone can help me here. I have a HP Pavillion t441-uk desktop computer running Windows XP home edition 32 bit. Yes, I am aware that its a bit of a dinosaur at 6 years old but it had been out of action for various reasons for a long time and has been repaired in the last few months, as I figured it was a handy computer for backing up photos etc and for the kids games. After its repair, I found that I had to update the graphics drivers, something I knew nothing about but found out online and updated to ATI Radeon 9200 which worked fine and installed fine and I managed to uninstall the old drivers.I now need to further update the graphics drivers as my son is eagerly awaiting the opening of the new mmog Lego Universe In order to access this new game when it comes, players need a game disc which my son now has but this computer won't run it. The minimum requirements for the game are as follows, Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 series or ATI Radeon 9600 series. I've tried downloading and installing both, while trying to unstall the previous Radeon version also. However, I keep getting this error message on each one I've tried, "NVidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. Setup will now exit." Any advice anyone??, I know that its possible that this computer maybe can't be updated any further but I'd like to try, bear in mind folks that I'm not a computer techie, but if something is explained to me in simple terms, I can figure my way through, Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Hi,

Did the FX 5700 video card come with a driver disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Annari1

old_aussie wrote: »
    Hi,

Did the FX 5700 video card come with a driver disc?
    I simply downloaded both from online sources, is it necessary to purchase graphics cards in order to update the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Back it up there, are you getting confused with the hardware and drivers?

what gfx card is in that machine?

you said you updated to ATI 9200 and that lego universe requires an nvidia 5700 or ATI 9600 and that you tried downloading and installing both?

Theyre hardware, you cant download them :)

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Back it up there, are you getting confused with the hardware and drivers?

what gfx card is in that machine?

you said you updated to ATI 9200 and that lego universe requires an nvidia 5700 or ATI 9600 and that you tried downloading and installing both?

Theyre hardware, you cant download them :)
    You are probably right, I may be confusing things. As I said in my original post, I'm no computer technician. I made the assumption that I could update using a download. As for what card is already present in the computer, i'm not sure I'm afraid, where could I find out on the computer?

Ah no worries :), download and run GPU-Z - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    The download is at the very bottom of the page, post an image of the info it shows( or if thats too much hassle post the gpu name and GPU info etc. )

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    Ah no worries :), download and run GPU-Z - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
    The download is at the very bottom of the page, post an image of the info it shows( or if thats too much hassle post the gpu name and GPU info etc. )
    I am having a bit of hassle posting a screenshot of that unfortunately, so I'll give you some of the info, if you need more, I'll go back and take another look. Thank you
    Radeon 9200 series
    GPU RV280
    Technology 150 nm
    Transistors 36m
    Bios version VER008.015.041.002
    Directx support 8.1 / sm1.4
    Pixel fillrate 0.8 gpixel/s
    Texture fillrate 0.8 texel/s
    memory type ddr
    bus width 64 bit
    memory size 128mb
    Bandwidth 2.6 gb/s
    Driver version ati2mtag 6.14.10.6396/xp
    Gpu clock 200 mhz
    memory 164 mhz
    default clock 200 mhz
    memory 166 mhz

ATI cross fire - disabled

Annari1 wrote: »
    I am having a bit of hassle posting a screenshot of that unfortunately, so I'll give you some of the info, if you need more, I'll go back and take another look. Thank you
    Radeon 9200 series
    GPU RV280
    Technology 150 nm
    Transistors 36m
    Bios version VER008.015.041.002
    Directx support 8.1 / sm1.4
    Pixel fillrate 0.8 gpixel/s
    Texture fillrate 0.8 texel/s
    memory type ddr
    bus width 64 bit
    memory size 128mb
    Bandwidth 2.6 gb/s
    Driver version ati2mtag 6.14.10.6396/xp
    Gpu clock 200 mhz
    memory 164 mhz
    default clock 200 mhz
    memory 166 mhz

ATI cross fire - disabled

No thats fine, i only needed the first line or 2, anyways that card is ancient, was released in 2002/3 and was very low end then. You can try it, it will probably work with your card but will be slow and need to run at absolute minimum settings

Reading the specs of your HP it says:
    AMD Athlon™ XP - 2800+ (2.08GHz)
    • Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
    • 512MB DDR-SDRAM
    • 120GB Ultra DMA hard drive (7200rpm)
    • ATI RADEON™ 9200SE
    128MB video memory
    so the CPU is too slow too

Thanks for taking the time to look, so it looks like the computer is not really worth the hassle, its just too old. Thats grand, it works for most things anyway... thanks again :)

ahh no problem at all, glad to help, unfortunately its too old to be upgradeable. You could stick in a better gfx card but you'd need to change the mobo and cpu too and once you start that youre just better off with an updated PC

Advertisement