Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

High Score Contest II (October)

• 02-10-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Randomly selected from the suggestions thread, this months games to duke it out on are:

Galaga '88

Rainbow Islands

I'll look at settings and do a quick edit later, but usual rules, 1 credit only. Screenshots would be nice, but not necessary with no prize (sorry!)

If you get a really good score though, and have the know-how, throw up a video so we can see your skills in action, and bask in your reflected glory.

Oh and I'm doing better than last place this month :P

I suppose this could replace the other sticky now if thats ok with the mods

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

First few tries on both games:

Galaga: 30550

Rainbow: 90330

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have to stop playing Rainbow Islands cause the music gets stuck in my head and stays there for days... :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Found a few mins to get in a couple of goes at Galaga '88, best of the evening was 118,150. Haven't had a chance to try Rainbow Islands yet.

galaga88score.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Just had a few more games of both, can't even come near that galaga score :(

But a better showing on rainbow islands: 340380

If anyone gets stuck on the first boss, hide in the right corner and fire rainbows at him. He cant hit you there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

If anyone gets stuck on the first boss, hide in the right corner and fire rainbows at him. He cant hit you there.

Thanks for that! One tip for Galaga incase you weren't already aware, on the bonus stages you can stay totally still and not fire (basically leave the joystick alone) and you will still get the 10000 bonus. Obv you won't score for the enemies but atleast you won't risk losing the bonus by trying. :)

Had a few more goes tonight, best was 210780:

galaga88new.jpg

Hadn't played Rainbow Islands since my C64 days so that was fun, need more practice though, 283080:

rainbowislands.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

132581.png

I managed to get a 903680 on Rainbow Islands. It helps if you can hold on to the triple rainbow for as long as possible. I didn't kill all the enemies, I would run by them if I could.

It's also handy to know that if you hold the jump button while landing on a rainbow, you bounce off it without making the rainbow drop down the screen. It's similar to jumping on a bubble in Bubble Bobble.

Advertisement