Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nespresso A word of Warning

Options
  • 02-10-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    While I am not normally found in this forum, I just wanted to post a word warning about anyone thinking of purchasing a Nespresso machine from a certain outlet in the Kildare Village. I purchased a Krups machine with Aeroccino in april this year. About 6 weeks ago the Aeroccino went on the blink, seems like the element is gone, so while it attempts to froth it will not heat up.
    Fair enough I thought, machine less than six months old, manufacturers warranty, simple case of exchange and onwards.
    Not according to the shop in Kildare Village. No while they will gladly exchange on all items in the outlet, this does not cover the Nespresso machines, this was covered by Nespresso themselves. While I protested, and showed my receipt I was informed by the manager that I was served by her sister (this is just weird)who would have clearly pointed out the small print to me, and that it was not her problem. (que swift turn on heels and off to deal with another customer, her not me:D).
    So next part is I have rang Nespresso a number of times over the last three weeks and have been assured of an immediate response, which I am still waiting on.
    Sorry to be long winded, but does anyone know whether I am actually entitled to an exchange at point of purchase? or is this just another example of Rip off Ireland customer service?
    Mods : I have not used the name of the shop I bought this in case its against the rules. (though if anyone wants to pm me I will happily provide directions on how to not get there :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've read this here before on boards.ie IM SURE OF IT.

Either way.

National Consumer Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

AFAIK, your contract is with the shop you bought it from, and theirs is with nespresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Hi
    While I am not normally found in this forum, I just wanted to post a word warning about anyone thinking of purchasing a Nespresso machine from a certain outlet in the Kildare Village. I purchased a Krups machine with Aeroccino in april this year. About 6 weeks ago the Aeroccino went on the blink, seems like the element is gone, so while it attempts to froth it will not heat up.
    Fair enough I thought, machine less than six months old, manufacturers warranty, simple case of exchange and onwards.
    Not according to the shop in Kildare Village. No while they will gladly exchange on all items in the outlet, this does not cover the Nespresso machines, this was covered by Nespresso themselves. While I protested, and showed my receipt I was informed by the manager that I was served by her sister (this is just weird)who would have clearly pointed out the small print to me, and that it was not her problem. (que swift turn on heels and off to deal with another customer, her not me:D).
    So next part is I have rang Nespresso a number of times over the last three weeks and have been assured of an immediate response, which I am still waiting on.
    Sorry to be long winded, but does anyone know whether I am actually entitled to an exchange at point of purchase? or is this just another example of Rip off Ireland customer service?
    Mods : I have not used the name of the shop I bought this in case its against the rules. (though if anyone wants to pm me I will happily provide directions on how to not get there :D)

Kenmc is correct, your contract is with the shop that took your money and sold you the item not with Nespresso even if someones sister told you that. I had a similar experience with Clarks shoes that was eventually resolved to my satisfaction. I went into Clarks with the offensive shoes(and I mean offensive-smell when wet) told them I knew my consumer rights ie:my contract was with Clarks and refused to budge untill the matter was dealt with. You may have to do something similar but consumer law is on your side. Do not shout or be offensive just state your case and let them know that you are well aware of your rights. Maybe write a letter to Nespresso, cc'ing it to the shop and the consumer rights association or ombudsman outlining your grevience, have it with you and explain this will be your next step if they do not deal with the matter. I hate this carry on as it it obvious your machine is well within warrenty. What use is a warrenty if not for these situations. Best of luck.

PS: Liveline is always an option and would surely grab their attention.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

consumerinformation.ie
    If things go wrong

If you have a problem with an item that you have bought it is always the seller who should put things right. As a general rule, the seller can either repair or replace the item. Alternatively, they can refund the costs of the item or service to the consumer.

If you are not satisfied with the quality of goods or services you can:

* Return the goods to the supplier who sold it to you (you should not return the goods to the manufacturer)
    * Act as soon as you can – a delay can indicate that you have accepted faulty goods or services
    * Do not attempt to repair the item yourself or give it to anyone else to repair it
    * Make sure that you have a proof of purchase (a receipt, cheque stub, credit card statement or invoice)
    Important parts underlined

Find the relevant page and print it out, bring it with you. Be calm, collected, just state your case and say you're not leaving until the issue is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kite Runner

Hi Guys

Just want to say thanks for the advice. I have given nespresso some time to sort this out with no movement. I will be heading back to the shop as advised and will post up the outcome for information.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Hi Guys

Just want to say thanks for the advice. I have given nespresso some time to sort this out with no movement. I will be heading back to the shop as advised and will post up the outcome for information.

Thanks again

How did you get on? Nice to have the law on your side against ignorant staff!

The outcome of this little tale occurred today.
    Nespresso after a number of emails sent me a replacement set of whisks (obviously cheaper than an aerocinno). Emailed them again over last week or two with with no reply.

The outcome is my better half decided enough was enough and rang the outlet today, who initially maintained party line of 'contract not with us', whereupon relevant sections of sale of goods act was quoted. Que the entry of the Nespresso rep who decided the best course of action was full exchange (so credit there, to be fair). And the staff were then fully compliant, so credit there, also

The outlet then offered full exchange and we are now the owners a brand new unit.

so result and happy days,

so the caveat is that if you buy a nespresso machine that you ensure at time of purchase that exchange is with the shop(in writing:D) in case of defects as per the act.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,151 ✭✭✭✭Berty

so the caveat is that if you buy a nespresso machine that you ensure at time of purchase that exchange is with the shop(in writing:D) in case of defects as per the act.

I must disagree. You dont need anything in writing other than receipt. The shop is ultimately responsible for the faulty equipment to the consumer.

Frankly anything after that is their concern. I wouldnt even have entertained them on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Credit is due because they tried to shaft you and then eventually decided to comply with consumer law??

I wouldnt' disagree with ye, think it was the initial euphoria of having the thing work.

I think its a bit of the Irish restaurant syndrome in me, a la

customer "food is terrible, Ill complain"
    Waiter "how is the food, Sir"
    customer "fine, thanks"

or the national psyche
    €4 billion bailout, sure make it an even €50 bailout and we will say no more. begorrah

I take the point that we shouldn't need it in writing, but this is the reality and the inconvenience that follows.

And if I knew then what I know now, (i.e. If I had read this forum first) I would have bought saved the pennies and bought a gaggia or rancilio.

thanks again for the advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

At least you have a satisfactory resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Consumer Issues from Coffee & Tea.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 t0yotara

Must say I have had a very good experience with the staff in kildare regarding my Nespresso machine....

I was at fault and had actually damaged the capsule container myself and the manager, a very helpful lady put me onto the Nespresso Club who had the parts out to me in 2 days (with some coffee samples),

the machines are actually made by Nespresso not krups, machines are just stamped machine partner brands (there are magimix ones that look identical to the ones you can get in kildare)

In fact if you've ever been to the US they are just called Nespresso machines

also regarding the sale of goods and supply of servies act 1980

Your legal entitlements may be diminished in the following circumstances:
    • If the goods complained about have been used for some time
    • If there has been an undue delay in making the complaint or returning the item
    • If there is reason to believe that the goods have been accepted in their faulty state
    In these instances, you may only be entitled to a repair or partial refund or to no redress at all. There are no hard and fast rules as each case has to be considered on its merits.
    You have no right to redress for:
    • Faults that are due to the misuse of the goods
    • Faults which were pointed out at the time of purchase
    • Superficial faults which should have been obvious at the time of purchase
    The onus is on you to make a reasonable examination of the goods before purchase

I have an aerochico in my machine and know from friends that submerging in water, dishwashers and improper washing can cause problems....

just saying its very easy to throw the blame on the store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

hello there mr nespresso

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

t0yotara wrote: »
    Must say I have had a very good experience with the staff in kildare regarding my Nespresso machine....

I was at fault and had actually damaged the capsule container myself and the manager, a very helpful lady put me onto the Nespresso Club who had the parts out to me in 2 days (with some coffee samples),

the machines are actually made by Nespresso not krups, machines are just stamped machine partner brands (there are magimix ones that look identical to the ones you can get in kildare)

• If there has been an undue delay in making the complaint or returning the item
    • If there is reason to believe that the goods have been accepted in their faulty state
    In these instances, you may only be entitled to a repair or partial refund or to no redress at all. There are no hard and fast rules as each case has to be considered on its merits.
    The onus is on you to make a reasonable examination of the goods before purchase

I have an aerochico in my machine and know from friends that submerging in water, dishwashers and improper washing can cause problems....

Just to skip all the irrelevant crap.....

it was 6 weeks old, and under warranty.
    It broke down.
    The SHOP have to repair, replace or refund, to the customers satisfaction.

I am glad you had a lovely experience. However I simply gave a factual account of what occurred and sought information as to how I could redress the matter. I then posted the outcome.

As regards your interpretation of the sale of goods act, that's what it is, your interpretation. I took mine from

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/intro.html

the faulty item was returned to the shop within two days of the fault developing. As it was purchased brand new in a sealed box, I don't know how I was suppose to examine it.

Nespresso have rang and apologised in the last two days for the inconvenience caused and supplied a number of capsules as compensation.

I therefore consider the matter dealt with and closed.

MODS: not sure what the rules are but this thread could be closed or deleted as you see fit, as there is not anything else to be stated on the matter

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've been a happy Nespresso user for a couple of years now and one of their "benefits" is that they will supply an exchange machine through their own customer care if yours fails. Theoretically this wold mean that you don't have to traipse back to the shop and argue the toss there.

The last time I dealt with Customer Care was when they sent a euro-denominated cashback check which was drawn on a UK bank. Because it came from a UK bank my own bank decided to take a slice of the action. I contacted Customer Care who added some products free-of-charge to a coffee order as a gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

If ever you did have an issue and dealt direct with the manufacturers you would almost certainly invalidate any contract with the supplier as unit is different \ tampered with since sale. Useful to remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jennyrose

t0yotara wrote: »

...wow what a fan, coming on defending it so steadfastly. Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Jennyrose wrote: »

I must say, you're quick off the mark.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Jennyrose wrote: »

The irony of that post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement