Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well EA are officially disgusting Rip Off Merchants

Options
  • 02-10-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

So myself and my housemate bought Fifa 11 yesterday, hoping to go online and deliver some spankings.
    But apparently we BOTH need a seperate redeem code to play online.
    Now this does not bother me given that I can afford to buy my own copy, its an inconvenience.

However, for most parents who have 2+ children they will need to buy 1 copy(w/code) and either buy another code or another game...good job EA !:mad:

I am currently in the process of trying to find where I can buy a redeem code online from EA , it says EA Store ingame or XBOX marketplace but can't find it on either. So I will continue my search, failing that I will bite the bullet and fork out for a 2nd copy of the game.

I think its low of fifa to start this charging for online play, considering it wasn't in any previous iterations.
    There goes 2nd hand buys of the game too

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So myself and my housemate bought Fifa 11 yesterday, hoping to go online and deliver some spankings.
    Now this does not bother me given that I can afford to buy my own copy, its an inconvenience.

However, for most parents who have 2+ children they will need to buy 1 copy(w/code) and either buy another code or another game...good job EA !:mad:

I am currently in the process of trying to find where I can buy a redeem code online from EA , it says EA Store ingame or XBOX marketplace but can't find it on either. So I will continue my search, failing that I will bite the bullet and fork out for a 2nd copy of the game.

I think its low of fifa to start this charging for online play, considering it wasn't in any previous iterations.
    It's supposed to be to reduce the value of second-hand games, but you've been unintentionally burned by EA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Btw, if anyone knows where to buy this online redeem code, please can you post it here. Thanks

Update : Found and bought it...800 xbox points

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I think this is complete crap on their behalf. I don't play sports games myself, but there is no need for this, as people are already paying for Live without having to pay for indivual online for their new games.

As far as the second hand thing goes- In twelve months Fifa 11 will be obselete when Fifa 12 comes out anyways. Just like every other year, most peole will trade it in, and not very many people will buy second hand copies of last years edition. That's why Gamestop's selves are contantly full of second hand earlier versions of Fifa games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

thats the point, its to make it so that the likes of gamestop cant bend people over and screw them for second hand games any more. its not just ea doing it either, expect to see a lot more of it in the near future

the blame here lies squarely at the feet of second hand games retailers with low buy back prices who then retailed the game for a fiver less then full price and got to keep every penny from it - no different to piracy and shouldnt be allowed

you think its bad now, wait until they start requiring you to enter a code from the manual the first time you play a game to make it work - coz thats coming... and imo the publishers are dead right

deathrider wrote: »
    people are already paying for Live without having to pay for indivual online for their new games

you dont have to pay to play online with new games, you get the code for free with it - but it can only be used once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i bought a second hand version of TW11, got home tryed to play online and noticed that i needed a code as the previous owner used it.
    Code cost 10euro or so.

So a 2nd hand game ended up costing me the price of a brand new retail version.

It is a lesson learned for me, but i can see why EA are doing this.

the likes of xtravision buy a game for 20euro then sell it for 40, EA get nothing for the second sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So rather than buying two copies of the game you decided to split the price of the game and share it between you? And now you're complaining that both you and your housemate do not have full access to all online functionality? And you're calling them rip off merchants?
    The only part of this which is true is if that parent wants to buy one copy and let each child play it online with their own unique gamertag. They will not be able to do this as the code is tied to the gamertag. If it concerns them so much then let the kids use their gamertag in order to play online. If they refuse and don't want the kids online play to affect their own gamertag then they're in the same boat as you, they're expecting multiple people to benefit from a single purchase.

If, on the other and, the parent wants each of their children to be able to play online themselves then they'll be purchasing each of them a copy of the game and as such, they will get a code.
    Look at the "How To Buy An Online Pass" set of instructions here for more info.
    I think it's low of Gamestop to rip people off with second hand prices.
    I think it's low that customers know the developers aren't getting a penny from second hand sales and don't care as long as they can save a couple of quid.
    I do not think it's low for EA to expect to be paid for the content they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

gizmo wrote: »
    So rather than buying two copies of the game you decided to split the price of the game and share it between you? And now you're complaining that both you and your housemate do not have full access to all online functionality? And you're calling them rip off merchants?

The only part of this which is true is if that parent wants to buy one copy and let each child play it online with their own unique gamertag. They will not be able to do this as the code is tied to the gamertag. If it concerns them so much then let the kids use their gamertag in order to play online. If they refuse and don't want the kids online play to affect their own gamertag then they're in the same boat as you, they're expecting multiple people to benefit from a single purchase.

If, on the other and, the parent wants each of their children to be able to play online themselves then they'll be purchasing each of them a copy of the game and as such, they will get a code.

Look at the "How To Buy An Online Pass" set of instructions here for more info.

I think it's low of Gamestop to rip people off with second hand prices.
    I think it's low that customers know the developers aren't getting a penny from second hand sales and don't care as long as they can save a couple of quid.
    I do not think it's low for EA to expect to be paid for the content they produce.

I can understand why they are doing it, but not letting people on the same console play online with different accounts is BS

I can understand why they are doing it, but not letting people on the same console play online with different accounts is BS
    You're right, it is bs...because it's not true.

From the FAQ:
    QUESTION : Do I need an unique Online Pass for every user on my console?
    ANSWER : No. One Online Pass will give online access to multiple users logged into the console where the Online Pass was first activated (subject to the console manufacturer’s and EA online terms of service).

Also, the user that activated the Online Pass will be allowed to access online features on other consoles (of the same manufacturer) by logging into the same account credentials that they used when they enabled the Online Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

You're right, it is bs...because it's not true. As long as the person with the online activated account is Player 1 then Player 2 will be able to go online also. :)

What is the op talking about so? :confused:

Two people playing on the same console at the one time?

• Advertisement

Playing the game on different consoles I'd imagine?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Does he not mean two different live profiles using the same game?

i assume buying a game between 2 consoles is what he was talking about

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

You'd swear every PC game for god knows how long and every MMO for god knows how long weren't doing this.

You know the way you go into Gamestop and they don't have a Second hand PC section? This is why, it's so the developers will get thier share a share that currently retailers are taking, it's completely fair in my eyes.

How much is Fifa going for this weekend? Around 45? So how is it fair that 2 people get the full game for €22.50 or however much, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Meh. This is too new, but it will mete out. People will still play FIFA because theyre FIFA-fans and they love the **** out of it. I've seen the game and I get it. But, I wager there will be more out there that will (and already do, frankly) skip out on buying each successive generation of the title.

Yet another reason to support PC, and furthermore titles that support User-Dedicated Servers.

Overheal wrote: »
    Meh. This is too new, but it will mete out. People will still play FIFA because theyre FIFA-fans and they love the **** out of it. I've seen the game and I get it. But, I wager there will be more out there that will (and already do, frankly) skip out on buying each successive generation of the title.

Yet another reason to support PC, and furthermore titles that support User-Dedicated Servers.

Sorry but what the **** are you talking about? How is this a reason to support PC gaming, all this is, is catching up with PC gaming on the DRM stakes.

Overheal wrote: »

As mayordenis says, this has nothing to do with supporting the PC. Most PC games come with CD Keys which limit the use of software accordingly. At least with the online pass you can pick up another one for $10 rather than buying another copy of the game like for the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

mayordenis wrote: »
    Sorry but what the **** are you talking about? How is this a reason to support PC gaming, all this is, is catching up with PC gaming on the DRM stakes.

I'm in the WTf camp too, haven't PC games used codes (cd-keys) since the dawn of time? And now with so many games using Steam (or bought on it) you are locked to one person playing it, even for single player games.

And EA moved for the online only as they do offer servers for their games, the constant cost to upkeep old games servers (and their inevitable shutdown when intrest has all but evaporated) was what sparked them to look for ways to mitigate that cost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This has been going on for months now - Mass Effect 2, for example, had a one off code that entitled first time buyers to lots (OK, some) of extra content, which was a once off code.

Personally, I agree with it. Now, I totally agree that families are the ones getting damaged by it. But to cut out the second hand games trade - which to me is far more of a rip off than the online code business - I think it's a clever ploy. I don't fully agree with it, but it does go someway towards sorting out the Gamestop problem. After all, paying a fiver less than the new copy may seem like good value, but it's just going straight to the shop as opposed to the developers who deserve it more.

So EA > Gamestop. I think it's the lesser of two evils to be honest!

You're right, it is bs...because it's not true. As long as the person with the online activated account is Player 1 then Player 2 will be able to go online also

My friend Nellser bought the game, we use the 1 console for everything.
    My account SeanderMann tried to play the game online as per Fifa 10 and Fifa WC and every other game we have online. But I couldn't.

We can play vrs each other without a code, so there is no need if the 2 of us are to play.

I did buy a code in the end to activate my own account.

If, on the other and, the parent wants each of their children to be able to play online themselves then they'll be purchasing each of them a copy of the game and as such, they will get a code

I don't think its much to expect multiple people to benefit from a single purchase. In the history of consoles, never have families needed to buy 2 copies of game in order to experience the game fully. If you had a brother and shared a console with him, would you tell him to go buy his own COD:MW or Fifa10 or Street Fighter...because its wrong for more than 1 person to be enjoying the family purchase ??

• Advertisement

My friend Nellser bought the game, we use the 1 console for everything.
    My account SeanderMann tried to play the game online as per Fifa 10 and Fifa WC and every other game we have online. But I couldn't.

We can play vrs each other without a code, so there is no need if the 2 of us are to play.

I did buy a code in the end to activate my own account.
    Well according to the FAQ on the EA website and a couple of forum posts online that I've looked at, you should be able to do the above no problem.
    I don't think its much to expect multiple people to benefit from a single purchase. In the history of consoles, never have families needed to buy 2 copies of game in order to experience the game fully. If you had a brother and shared a console with him, would you tell him to go buy his own COD:MW or Fifa10 or Street Fighter...because its wrong for more than 1 person to be enjoying the family purchase ??
    Well first off, not to nitpick but this wasn't a case of a family member, this was simply a mate. The only difference between you buying a copy and then just giving it to a friend to play through and this was that you happened to live under the same roof. It would still result in a lost sale however.

That being said, given the above info it appears either EA are lying in their FAQ or you were simply doing it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Wasn't this announced ages ago? (This forum moves a lot faster than I thought)

Support the devs/publishers. Fúck preowned sellers (At least the companies. )

Well first off, not to nitpick but this wasn't a case of a family member, this was simply a mate. The only difference between you buying a copy and then just giving it to a friend to play through and this was that you happened to live under the same roof. It would still result in a lost sale however.

I did mention in the original post that it wasnt as much of a problem for me as I can afford it to buy another copy or redeem code if needed. My concern lay with families or kids who would get it for their birthday / xmas is all

But as everyone metioned, with Fifa people will always stick with the current release of the game. Noone really trades in Fifa10 until Fifa11 comes out. And it will be the same for this one I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The one point people are missing is that the new game in gamestop is 20 euro below what the publisher wants them to charge you for it. Thats the only reason they have it next to the used version with a fiver in the difference.

I cant see how if Gamestop paid more for second hand games and sold them cheaper and then charged the publishers RRP of €69.99 for new games and then put the second hand game on a different shelf for €39.99 would help to drive new game sales. If the new game is a fiver more ill more than likely buy the new one, if its 25-30 more ill stick with the used version.

Or even if they scrap the second hand market altogether and charge people 70euro for a new game and remove the ability to trade in the game if it turns out to be yet another 7 hour long game with little play back value. This means ill never buy another FIFA/Call of duty franchise as i couldnt justify paying 70 euro for a map pack.

I cant see how either of those options will help publishers and the publishers know this, this is why they just dont refuse to sell their games in stores that offer trade ins.

This online code is scumbag stuff they have already been paid for that game to go online now they are charging twice. If they wanted to be fair about it they would reduce what they charge shops by a tenner and then charge everyone to go online but again they wont do that because they fail to mention that 30% of people never go online so that is a potential 30% profit margin on their online side of each game. Really fair aren't they !!

This online code is scumbag stuff they have already been paid for that game to go online now they are charging twice. If they wanted to be fair about it they would reduce what they charge shops by a tenner and then charge everyone to go online but again they wont do that because they fail to mention that 30% of people never go online so that is a potential 30% profit margin on their online side of each game. Really fair aren't they !!

That's nonsense, absolute nonsense, IF a person buys the game second hand or borrows it from a friend, have they given the developer any money? YES or NO? Those are your options yes or no.

Edit... Just read the rest of your ****e about 30% of people never going online, What relevance does that have?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's nonsense, absolute nonsense, IF a person buys the game second hand or borrows it from a friend, have they given the developer any money? YES or NO? Those are your options yes or no.

2nd hand games : why should the developers (and original retailers etc) get any money, though? It's not their property any more. 2nd hand CDs, DVDs, cars, anything on eBay etc; the developers or original proprietors don't get a cut. Why should video games be any different?

Developers should work out a better deal for getting a bigger slice of the pie, since they only get ~$27 from a $60 game. Or start their own used game chain, instead of doing what's easiest, screwing over the consumer. They should be going after GameStop, who annoys them in the first place (seeing their sweet used game profits), not us :(

They should also be looking into fully downloadable new games (on XBL/PSN), which would really cut out a lot of the middle men that add to the cost of a physical copy of a game.

oh, 30% of people never going online, he's saying that 30% of people are 'paying $10 for a service they don't use'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Edit... Just read the rest of your ****e about 30% of people never going online, What relevance does that have?

No they don't nor should they, the developer has already been paid why should the developer get paid twice and not offer anything extra?

If i buy 1 game the publisher gets paid for 1 player to be online, if i give that game to someone else and he goes online. How many people are online ? 1. And how many have paid to go online ? 1

What you are saying is that the developer should be paid for hosting 2 people online even though they only host 1. Thats nonsense absolute nonsense

What relevance does the 30% have? i thought that was quite clear. The cost of hosting the online aspect of a game is factored into the price of the game.

So if they sell 1 million copies they get paid to host 1 million players online but if up to 30% dont ever go online then the they only pay to host 700,000 players online. This reduces the cost of hosting the game online by 30% increasing the profit they make from that by 30%.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

AdrianII wrote: »
    i bought a second hand version of TW11, got home tryed to play online and noticed that i needed a code as the previous owner used it.
    Code cost 10euro or so.

So a 2nd hand game ended up costing me the price of a brand new retail version.

It is a lesson learned for me, but i can see why EA are doing this.

the likes of xtravision buy a game for 20euro then sell it for 40, EA get nothing for the second sale.

So what if you buy the game new first day its yours. if your boss taught you how to work a computer, plumb a house, cut someones hair you are hardly not gonna use that info outside of work. EA sold the game and its yours to give or sell to who ever you want (within reason).

You wont be able to sell a bit of second hand furniture or a microwave next without the the things having a self destruct mode in case greedy developers dont squeeze every pennny they think is owed to them

Let EA go after the game stores. Ill just not go on line (microsoft lose out) then ill just stop buying the games full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I agree that the game stores, not the consumers, should be the ones footing the cost.

Theres two aspects to this:

1. Game company makes game, sells it through game store, gets their share of the revenue, customer gets game, everyone happy.

2.Customer sells game back to game store. Game store pays way less what they'll sell same game to customer B for. Game company gets nothing as a result. Game store gets more profit.

3. Customer sells game privately to friend/ebay/adverts/Joe down the pub, whoever. Game company still gets nothing, neither does game store.

Its a grey area tbh, I dont see why we should have to pay to play games online when you're already paying for an online service, that sucks. The once off code thing doesnt bother me so much as I rarely trade in my games and NEVER buy 2nd hand ones. I just hate the thought someone has had their grubby mitts all over my games, factory sealed brand new ftw. Especially when the difference between new and 2nd hand is normally about a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

ye its ****ing bull****. We have 2 ps3's (Mine + family one). We'll soon have too buy two copies of most games because of this ****... EA and co are targeting the wrong ppl, anyone that disagrees with that can suck a dong.

Advertisement