Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well EA are officially disgusting Rip Off Merchants

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

The fact that games are openly traded everywhere from Xtravision to Adverts.ie without being challenged speaks volumes.

not as much as being the only commodity that is openly traded on the high street with no form of revenue back to the publisher.

speaks volumes indeed. Sort of volumes that echo 1983.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

sarumite wrote: »
    EA hasn't upped its price....the game costs the same as before and has all the online capability as before. If I buy a new game from a shop, where is the price hike?

Depends on what you want to do with the game. For you, it might be zero. For me, if I want to lend it to a friend, the total cost will be a tenner more then it used to be.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    not as much as being the only commodity that is openly traded on the high street with no form of revenue back to the publisher.

speaks volumes indeed. Sort of volumes that echo 1983.

Yes. All kinds of media are, and have always been, traded without the publishers cashing in multiple times - books, DVDs, CDs, etc. I feel a little guilty that the wife and I share a single copy of the Irish Times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

animaal wrote: »
    Depends on what you want to do with the game. For you, it might be zero. For me, if I want to lend it to a friend, the total cost will be a tenner more then it used to be.
    In reply to both this comment and your previous one, in both of these cases you are assuming the ability to trade-in/lend your copy to someone was built into the price however it was not. Therefore there is no increase in cost as you were using the game/licence for something it was not meant to be used for. I'm not speaking in terms of legalities here by the way, it's been mentioned several times that EULAs are not legally enforceable in this country, it's simply the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Yes. All kinds of media are, and have always been, traded without the publishers cashing in multiple times - books, DVDs, CDs, etc. I feel a little guilty that the wife and I share a single copy of the Irish Times

Wow. talk about not getting the point.

I cant walk into a newsagent and have the shop seller offer me a 2nd hand irish times at half price instead of a new one.

HMV does not sell 2nd hand dvds/cds/books side by side new releases.

If you want 2nd hand you either go off the high street or rely on personal connections (such as your lovely wife sharing her Irish times with you.) Its not an issue of selling something 2nd hand. Its where you sell it and thats all accounted for in business margins, its basic economics. There are limits people are willing to go for products and the 2nd hand market is not an issue for dvds or books because they require that small bit more effort by the consumer over buying new and there are plenty of people willing to simply say f*ck it and go in and buy house season six boxset in hmv for £40 over the effort of looking for a good deal on ebay or scouring through 2nd hand stores, there are many people who are willing or perfer to do the scouring for the cheaper product, but they were never a customer to begin with.

Yet the games industry has allowed it to flood into the high street and developers are suffering for it. Its bad enough that industry the kills itself by essentially outdating all its products every 5-10 years and making them worthless to the publishers now its poisoned its own market that shrinkes the actual time a product is on market down to a few months with the only resale possibilities being reliant that its a success the first time over.

Really the only company that seems to know what its doing is Nintendo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

gizmo wrote: »
    it's been mentioned several times that EULAs are not legally enforceable in this country, I'm simply the facts.

No, I'M THE FACTS!!

Screw it, I'm obviously in a minority of one. Or maybe two. That's just not enough to change the world. I'll take my crumby used copy of FIFA 11 and write them a strongly worded letter. Or at lest think about doing it. That'll learn 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

jaykhunter wrote: »
    2nd hand games : why should the developers (and original retailers etc) get any money, though? It's not their property any more. 2nd hand CDs, DVDs, cars, anything on eBay etc; the developers or original proprietors don't get a cut. Why should video games be any different?

Because they're using EA's servers. Why should EA give people the use of their servers who haven't paid for it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

They can actually still play the game....though if they want to use a service provided by EA they have to pay for it. The cost to you hasn't increase....only the cost to your friend. It was only a short few years ago when online play wasn't even part of the game, or a very limited part of the game. Now you actually get more bang for you buck in terms of online play. If your friend want's to use EA's online service, they can pay for it....if not, then they get the game on the disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    Because they're using EA's servers. Why should EA give people the use of their servers who haven't paid for it at all?
    Its the same difference to EA if the original owner uses the game for 5 years or he hands it down to his friend after 2 years (who plays it for 3 more years). And the same difference still if the original buy wants to sell it to the same friend for $20. But realistically they just want to tap into what is to them a Black Market that is worth exploiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Yes. All kinds of media are, and have always been, traded without the publishers cashing in multiple times - books, DVDs, CDs, etc. I feel a little guilty that the wife and I share a single copy of the Irish Times :)

Hosting online services still costs money for the developer. When you buy a book, dvd, cd...or used game, you still get to access the content on the disc. Same with the Irish times that you share. You can still read the book, listen to the music or play the game, you just don't get to use an additional service that you didn't pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

your friend will get 7 days online use for free, which seems pretty decent for a loaner

• Advertisement
Advertisement