Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racial Equality

• 02-10-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Is it just me or is "racial equality" being forced down our throats lately??
    I'm in no way racist and am all for equality but it seems that everywhere you turn theres a new ad campaign "highlighting racial awareness" or some shíte like that.
    Or in every advertisment nowadays there's always a token black person or some guy in a turban with a big cheesy grin on his face shaking hands with a white guy.
    There's a new ad campaign on all Dublin Bus shelters at the minute and every one of them is a picture of some "ethnic minority"
    Yes yes, we all know Ireland is a multi-cultural society and welcomes everybody with equal opportunities blah blah blah, I have a dream, blah blah blah.....but do we really need to have these ad campaigns constantly shoved in our faces all the time?? :confused: I just want one day where I don't have somebody tell me to make friends with a muslim, or hug a buddhist or some shít.

Sorry its just something thats been bugging me for a while now.

/RANT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Stool Borey Co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'm in no way racist and am all for equality but it seems that everywhere you turn theres a new ad campaign "highlighting racial awareness" or some shíte like that.
    Or in every advertisment nowadays there's always a token black person or some guy in a turban with a big cheesy grin on his face shaking hands with a white guy.
    There's a new ad campaign on all Dublin Bus shelters at the minute and every one of them is a picture of some "ethnic minority"
    Yes yes, we all know Ireland is a multi-cultural society and welcomes everybody with equal opportunities blah blah blah, I have a dream, blah blah blah.....but do we really need to have these ad campaigns constantly shoved in our faces all the time?? :confused: I just want one day where I don't have somebody tell me to make friends with a muslim, or hug a buddhist or some shít.

/RANT

That really isn't any clue as to how this thread is going to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Stormfront servers temporarily down or something?

I'm in no way racist but

Uh huh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Muslim people don't use buses too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully" ...GW Bush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

They take the halal-o-craft.

I'll get me coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

why mention muslims?

never mind just seen it in the ops post, i was thinking it was something to do with some muslim and bus related incident i hadnt heard about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

o1s1n wrote: »
    Stormfront servers temporarily down or something?

Sh*t, everytime I was the car a fvcking stormfront comes over.. bollox :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Anyone who isn't a racist has simply never been in a cinema full of black people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't mind the examples cited in the OP, but I do get pissed off by the muppets on the other side who like to invent/see racism in every little thing. They are the reason the ads have to be like they are, because if they weren't some twat would read racism into everything. That's where the real issue lies tbh, a certain subset of society foaming at the mouth desperate to cry racism, xenophobia etc imagined a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

SugarHigh wrote: »
    Anyone who isn't a racist has simply never been in a cinema full of black people.

I'm guessing like me you pay an American black woman to check everything before you do it and shouts "Don't go in there!" when an unsavoury situation may unfold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nope, they get the free Islamocars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I remember watching the Apprentice, the one with Alan Sugar

Watch it sometime, there will always be a black and asian candidate, always.
    Well if that's a large demographic in the UK so fair enough.

In Series 1, Saira Khan who was an incredibly confident person and made it to the final even called herself a token candidate.

The OP made a point, why does posters jump in and not even discuss it or not even read it like this

OP, you probably should have started this thread in Humanities

Which would suggest that she was the only ethnic minority candidate(hate that expression-she is English by the way) in that series, which she wasn't, so how can she be a token candidate? Remember Tim(who won) and Raj(who got to the latter stages)? Maybe she was referring to the fact that she was a woman?

I remember watching the Apprentice, the one with Alan Sugar

Watch it sometime, there will always be a black and asian candidate, always.
    Well if that's a large demographic in the UK so fair enough.

In Series 1, Saira Khan who was an incredibly confident person and made it to the final even called herself a token candidate.

The OP made a point, why does posters jump in and not even discuss it or not even read it like this

OP, you probably should have started this thread in Humanities

Alan Sugars Jewish. Does that mean he's token too?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Nodin wrote: »
    Alan Sugars Jewish. Does that mean he's token too?

James Max who made it to the semi final is also Jewish

OPENROAD wrote: »
    James Max who made it to the semi final is also Jewish

....two token Jews???? Well holy jaysus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Social Disorder

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm guessing like me you pay an American black woman to check everything before you do it and shouts "Don't go in there!" when an unsavoury situation may unfold?

You pay her fairly I assume :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

There are so many minorities at my water park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

You're only noticing this recently?!? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

"I'm not racist, but..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

the thing i really hate about all this sexual/ racial equality is when they put it in historical films which also have modern day political corectness.
    these were days when there was no such thing as war crimes, women were second class citizens and most coloured people in westren europe were slaves

Mousey- wrote: »
    the thing i really hate about all this sexual/ racial equality is when they put it in historical films which also have modern day political corectness.
    these were days when there was no such thing as war crimes, women were second class citizens and most coloured people in westren europe were slaves

Like when they had a black 20 year old as some kinda reverend mother in a robin hood ep? :D
    I know nobody sees the difference now but geez!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Like when they had a black 20 year old as some kinda reverend mother in a robin hood ep? :D

like in the new robin hood with russel crow
    when the kids that stole the grain arent beaten to a pulp when they are found
    or in hamlet which is set in the 1600s in denmark, and has several coloured people in prominent positions (danish envoys, generals, lords and ladys )

they are just two that spring to mind as i seen them recently

African blood has run through British veins since at least the 18th century and perhaps since Roman times, a study suggests.
    A set of typically West African genes has been found in seven white British men who share the same rare surname, allowing scientists to trace an African heritage that none had any idea he shared.
    The African Y chromosome — the packet of genetic material passed down through the male line — probably originated from a man from Senegal or Guinea-Bissau who lived in Yorkshire in the early 18th century and was inherited by his male descendants.
    It is even possible that the line goes back farther still, to Roman soldiers from North Africa posted to Hadrian’s Wall 1,800 years ago. This “division of Moors”, which included the earliest known Africans in Britain, included recruits from what is now Morocco
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1295724.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

/RANT

Does the true word of Equality actually even exist? I mean, real equality. Everyone being equal? Nope, its doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

There were black people in Britain before the English.

Astonishing but true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

/RANT

Jeez that's f#ckin awful man.. I don't know how you cope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I think you're right OP. These forced racial equality ethics have got me soooo angry. Sometimes I think that all the racially pure white Irish people should just get together and, with help from the authorities, put all the none-white, English and Eastern Europeans (who are living in Ireland) and all the racially impure population into a massive concentration camp somewhere in Mayo. We should enslave them and make them build a large array of gas chambers and crematoriums adjacent to the camp. After that we should shove them all in them and gas them to hell and burn their bodies in the crematoriums. Then in the end we'll drop their ashes over Wales.

*attempt at comedy fails epically and realises tastelessness, walks away slowly*

I do think we should ban the burka though.

• Advertisement

Johro wrote: »
    Jeez that's f#ckin awful man.. I don't know how you cope.

I kind of understand how he feels.

We don't need corporate institutions to lecture us about racial awareness, and some of the campaigns, however well meaning, can have a very negative result.

Let them lead by example, not through advertising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

We don't need corporate institutions to lecture us about racial awareness, and some of the campaigns, however well meaning, can have a very negative result.

Fair enough. I agree. Nobody's asking him to hug anyone though. No-one's asking to be hugged. At least, not after that.:D It's shouldn't really be that big a deal unless, of course, you were a bit of a xenophobe.

Maybe he wants to hug a large African fellow, but feels guilty about it unless he's forced to.....I understand theres clubs for that sort of thing these days.

1 he talked about robin hood, which is set after one of the crusades so 10th 11th century.

2 my post i was trying to show the social stats, yes there were coloured men etc... in england, brought there by the romans (Sarmatian horsemen)...vikings... saxons... etc...., but most if not all held no power and were slaves (pre 1807)

so, yes they could have a coloured man in the films etc... but when they make him a lord or a captain of an army etc... this is wrong of the social standards of the time.

(waits for a wikipedia link of a coloured westren european lord/lady, general, but NOT an ambassador)

I personally have more resentment of political corectness, than I have of people of any race. especially when it comes to history, the past is the past and what happened, happened. it shouldnt be pasted over in modern films or books. history is history good or bad. slavery happened and was stopped, coloured people, women and even diffrent religions were oppresed, it wasnt a good thing or a thing of the modern day but it did happen.

I personally have more resentment of political corectness, than I have of people of any race.

Would that be just when it's gone mad, or in its standard form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I didint mean my original post to come across as racist- far from it in fact. I have absolutely nothing against any race, its just these advertisements that bug me. They just seem kind of patronising and telling us all to be friends. And a lot of ads out there at the minute (ones that arent even about racial awareness) are clearly just sticking in a minority person for the sake of it.--kind of like a "ooh look at me I'm all fairtrade!"
    Lets face it, a racist person isnt gonna change his views because of an ad on the back of a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭areu4real?

strobe wrote: »
    Stool Borey Co

OLD MEME BRO

Would that be just when it's gone mad, or in its standard form?
    crazy form , example, i call somone a b!tch it can be said that im commiting sexual oppresion or harrasment as its a phrase only used on women, where as if i tell her to feck of its not. or hiring a whiteman over a blackman nad getting called a racist.

i dont view myself as a racist, but i do hate all this crazy political corectness bull****. (especially in historical media as shown in previous posts)

obviously some political corectness is needed, otherwise you'd have right wing racist nuts doing what they want. (example BNP)

for a list of my hates go to....but seriously i also hate all that claim to gain bull****, i slipped on a wet floor at my workplace because im a ****ing idiot. i then noticed no sign and realised i had a case against my employer of 5 years.

1 he talked about robin hood, which is set after one of the crusades so 10th 11th century.

Alrighty
    What we can deduce further about this man from the evidence is that he was probably a trader. Ipswich was a port and it is likely that, given his foreign birth, he was involved in the shipping of materials or minerals of some sort.
    The Crusades(inline-face_09.png?1265851550)had sent Christian men from England to reclaim the Holy Land from Muslims, but one of the results of this was that more trade routes were opened up with the Muslim-dominated Eastern Mediterranean and North Africa.
    This man’s presence in Ipswich could well have been as a consequence of that. This man was not poor - a poor man would never have been buried in a single grave in an important part of the friary, as he was.
    The poor would have been buried in common graves.
    And it is most likely that he would have had to pay for his treatment at the friary.
    Sometimes wealthier people at the time would actually invest in a local friary in the knowledge that the friary would look after them when they fell ill and bury them when they died.
    http://gopak.co.cc/daily-news/he-was-an-african-who-had-a-strong-jaw-and-a-bad-back-so-what-was-he-doing-in-ipswich-in-the-year-1190/
    I personally have more resentment of political corectness, than I have of people of any race. especially when it comes to history, the past is the past and what happened, happened. it shouldnt be pasted over in modern films or books. history is history good or bad. slavery happened and was stopped, coloured people, women and even diffrent religions were oppresed, it wasnt a good thing or a thing of the modern day but it did happen.

Mel Gibsons "the patriot" being a splendid example.

That's pretty cool thanks!
    I thought it was just PCness!

That's pretty cool thanks!
    I thought it was just PCness!

Nope. Just ignored. And unfortunately its not a phenomena limited to those times either.
    http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/india_and_world_war_one.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I think you need you need to separate 'you' the person walking down the street from 'The people who shout "Go Back to Your Own Country' at people who rightfully (note rightfully) reside here, because of the colour of their skin.

While the OP may not need to be told that black people or foreigners are people too, there's definitely a relatively large group of ****heads who do need to be told.

Advertisement