Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soyuz TMA-01M

Options
  • 02-10-2010 5:06pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Soyuz TMA-01M is due to launch from Baikonur next Friday Oct 8 at 00:10. On board will be Commander Alexander Kaleri, Flight Engineers Oleg Skripochka and NASA's Scott Kelly.

soyuztma01mmissionpatch.png

soyuztma01m.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Beeker wrote: »
    Soyuz TMA-01M is due to launch from Baikonur next Friday Oct 8 at 00:10. On board will be Commander Alexander Kaleri, Flight Engineers Oleg Skripochka and NASA's Scott Kelly.

soyuztma01mmissionpatch.png

soyuztma01m.jpg

LoL Beeker , LL will be trying to catch a lift haha

Glad to see the Commander will be Alexander Kaleri !!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Commander looks like Fr. Stone from Fr. Ted!!:D

178565.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Crew hosts a media day.
    img5442ab.jpg
    img5423a.jpg
    img1959s.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Soyuz vehicle in the Spacecraft Assembly and Testing Facility for final processing operations.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16505.0;attach=246105;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16505.0;attach=246107;image
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16505.0;attach=246109;image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭whynotdo

Delighted to see Soyuz getting some attention at last!
    You STS only guys discouraged Me for so long from posting about it.
    but with the winding down of STS,Beeker did start a thread about the last launch of a Soyuz to the ISS,when i challenged him about this new found interest in Soyuz He replied "any port in a storm"(Mercenary):p

This is a yet another incarnation;) of Soyuz,but its main new feature is it can launch a relativly low amount of extra weight.

one previous carnation included a window in the crew ascent/descent module at NASA's insistance when NASA were in a posistion to demand anything from Russia.

for anybody interested i cannot recomend any higher reading up on Sergi Korolov,the man behind the the Soviet/Russian Space Programme.
    He was an extraordinary man who put his Cosmonauts first and at the risk of being sent to Siberia told Moscow lies until he felt a craft was safe to fly no matter what pressures were placed on him during the Space-race.

Soyuz,progress,Proton, You name them are his legacy, from rocket Scientist to diplomat as well as babysitter to the Cosmonaut corp.
    He died relativly Young (many say from the stress)
    Von Braun had "the life of Reilly" compared to him

Soyuz is heading towards the 2000 launch mark and has only lost four Cosmonauts.
    That total of four dead Cosmonauts since the launch of Gargarin is a hugh tribute to him!
    He was "The Man"
    Four Soyuz can be produced per Year and is heading towards five.
    Arianespace have added the basic design to its fleet and will use it as its medium Launcher from French Guiana[for unmanned launchs] from next Year.

God Speed Soyuz TMA-01M!!:)

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    The Commander looks like Fr. Stone from Fr. Ted!!:D

178565.jpg

If You are looking for lookalikes,have You seen Epedition 24's Commander emerging from his Capsule? See what Robert De Niro is up to these days?:)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16584.0;attach=245717;image

and of course Tracy Dyson Caldwell scored another first on top of her emergency EVA's to repair the ISS, Soyuz TMA 18 was the first Soyuz that failed to undock as planned from the station.
    That Woman is a jinx!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

whynotdo wrote: »
    Delighted to see Soyuz getting some attention at last! hahaha even Beeker`s posting about Soyuz now :D
    You STS only guys discouraged Me for so long from posting about it.
    but with the winding down of STS,Beeker did start a thread about the last launch of a Soyuz to the ISS,when i challenged him about this new found interest in Soyuz He replied "any port in a storm"(Mercenary):p

Typical Beeker comment ( any port in a storm ) ;)

621Kazakhstan_Russia_Space__1.jpg

621Kazakhstan_Russia_Space__12.jpg

Here I am with My gun protecting it:),at least NASA TV manage to hide the guys carrying bazooka's when they cover roll-outs, and on Launch day the crew heading to the Astrovan except for one occasion recently when they got the camera angle wrong(not joking)

621Kazakhstan_Russia_Space__15.jpg

Thomas the Tank engine never had a payload like this!:)

621Kazakhstan_Russia_Space__3.jpg

at the pad awaiting to be hoisted vertical,the very same pad Yuri Gargarin was launched from,and as per tradition roll-out started at exactly 06.30 local time in honor of the time Gargarins craft began roll-out.

621104786777_10.jpg

The Sun decides to smile at it!:)

450Kazakhstan_Russia_Space__8.jpg

and there it is ready for its crew,as one member of the last Soyuz Launch to the ISS tweeted at this stage: "Our Chariot awaits"

450104786965_10.jpg

As Russia continue to head towards a Soyuz that will be Soyuz in name only they are building in increments towards the next generation of Manned launchers bit by bit without having to fly unmanned tests.got to give them kudo's for that!

Soyuz Spacecraft Upgrade Ups Payload By 70 Kg

New onboard digital command and control systems have helped increase the payload of Russia's manned Soyuz TMA-01M spacecraft by 70 kg, the head of the Energia space corporation said.
    The new equipment replaces the Argon analogue system that has been used for more than 30 years, Vitaly Lopota said.

A Soyuz with a new digital computing and telemetric system will be launched to the International Space Station on October 8.
    The new onboard computer, the СС-101, will be tested by Russian cosmonaut Alexander Kaleri, Lopota said.
    The Soyuz TMA-01M will replace the Soyuz TMA series spacecraft that have been used until now, Lopota added.

Design of transport human space vehicle Soyuz TMA-M is based on Soyuz TMA’s one which has been commissioned in 2002.
    The modification was customized by the Russian Federal Space Agency.
    Prime contractor- RCS-Energia.

The vehicle of new series features the same range of objectives as the previous series.

Compare to the basic design, Soyuz TMA-M has the following upgrades:
    - Units of the Guidance, Navigation and Control and Onboard Measurement system have been replaced with the modified ones, with up-to-date EEE-parts and enhanced SW;
    - functional capabilities of the vehicle have been enlarged through deeper integration with the Russian segment computer system and GNC onboard computer control of the systems via multiplex exchange link;
    - payload lifting capacity improved due to reduction of the onboard system mass parameters.
    The updates cover one of the steps aimed at development of the advanced new-generation space vehicle (ACV). Flight certification of the units and hardware installed on Soyuz TMA-M will allow to implement relevant solutions for ACV.

External view of the upgraded vehicle is similar to the Soyuz TMA one.

Flight tests of the vehicle will include two missions to the ISS. The third mission of Soyuz TMA-03M is considered as acceptance.

Flight tests are to confirm proper execution of the nominal operations and off-nominal cases, maneuvers, etc.

Good stuff whynotdu, great coverage of the old Soyuz. Thats what we missed:)

• Advertisement

Thats what we missed:)

What?, I thought it was the fact that i have the wisdom of Solomon,the intellect of Hawkings and have always been such an example of self restraint to all the members of boards.ie:confused:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

What?, I thought it was the fact that i have the wisdom of Solomon,the intellect of Hawkings and have always been such an example of self restraint to all the members of boards.ie:confused:;)

Who's this fella? ;)
    Fáilte ar ais.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

Great coverage and Photos Thanks for posting.Tried posting some pics,but the site,or else my computer will not allow me too.Met Scott Kelly and Mark in Ireland a few years back looking forward to been here tomorrow night for the launch.

Eamonn

NASA TV start live coverage at 23:15 tonight with launch due at 00:10. Should be back from work by 23:00 so should be perfect:)

Stargate wrote: »
    Typical Beeker comment ( any port in a storm ) ;)

Looks like Beeker is not the only one who is realising that Soyuz is "the only port in a storm":)
    It has even dawned on BBC World who have been broadcasting this report today (about a two minute video, but a short ad before it starts)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11484423

PS: out of respect to both traditions ie Americans=Astronauts,Russians=Cosmonauts what name should We call combined crews in future that ends in nauts
    (just as well China is not a member of the ISS as it would be even more complicated they are called Tykonauts)

Looks like Beeker is not the only one who is realising that Soyuz is "the only port in a storm":)
    It has even dawned on BBC World who have been broadcasting this report today (about a two minute video, but a short ad before it starts)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11484423

PS: out of respect to both traditions ie Americans=Astronauts,Russians=Cosmonauts what name should We call combined crews in future that ends in nauts
    (just as well China is not a member of the ISS as it would be even more complicated they are called Tykonauts)
    "Very soon this will be the future of the US space programme".......... JFK would turn in his grave:(

Beekernauts:D:D:D

Beekernauts:D:D:D

Crazynauts more like!:D

JFK is alive and well along with Shergar,Lord Lucan and Elvis,living on and under a grassy knoll BTW!:)

Crazynauts more like!:D

JFK is alive and well along with Shergar,Lord Lucan and Elvis,living on and under a grassy knoll BTW!:)
    I knew our Lord Lucan was involved with somehow:D:D

Indeed He is the Smoking gun Rocket! as Jack Ruby and Lee Harvey Oswald were telling Me over a pint just the other day:D

• Advertisement

.Met Scott Kelly and Mark in Ireland a few years back looking forward to been here tomorrow night for the launch.

Eamonn

Kelly sending his final e-mails before launch less than four hours ago Eamonn,since You have met him thought You might like to see it.
    Real pity about Your photo's are not posting,You must have some great ones from the Shuttle programe!

http://twitpic.com/2vfrpp

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16505.0;attach=247427;image

http://twitter.com/ShuttleCDRKelly
    Scott Kelly tweeting at the moment.

Awww He rememberd Korolev! Good for him!

http://yfrog.com/2oplrxj

scaled.php?tn=0&server=96&filename=plrx.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

We take these launchs of Soyuz for granted but every one is risk and the crews have some guts!

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16505.0;attach=247432;image

;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

Unbelievably,little or no coverage yet in RT ch 512.Great pics and thanks,twitpic seems to suit me in posting pics these days !!! Scott told me his people come from Dublin he was here in Trinity with winston Scott and Brian Duffy

Unbelievably,little or no coverage yet in RT ch 512.Great pics and thanks,twitpic seems to suit me in posting pics these days !!! Scott told me his people come from Dublin he was here in Trinity with winston Scott and Brian Duffy

Nasa tv are showing all the preperations now,the feed from spaceflight now is usually ahead of it timewise,enjoy!:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    ;););)

LL Why are You always considered slightly dodgy:confused::D

nice pic on Earth of Soyuz as We normally see it docked to the ISS(except for Solar panels not deployed)
    index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16505.0;attach=247459;image

• Advertisement

LL Why are You always considered slightly dodgy:confused::D

They seek him here,they seek him there,they seek him everywhere.

I'm everywhere but nowhere!:D

Advertisement