Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband problems in Dublin 7?

• 02-10-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Anyone else having a lot of drop-outs this afternoon (Saturday) in the Dublin 7 area on UPC broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sparedog12

This problem seems to be resolved. Rebooted modem and there have been no problems since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I'm getting no conection after modem restarts :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Hi, I've had issues here as well (dublin 7) They seem to have an intermittant fault with their dns servers. Have you tried opendns?

No, how would I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

dublin 9 - same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Same problem D. 15, dns servers too every now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Simply Red wrote: »
    Same problem D. 15, dns servers too every now and again

Same here in D13. It's been terrible the past few weeks but tonight it's just all over the place. DNS errors and massive return losses.

Back up for me now. Hopefully this spotty conection will right itself after the upgrades?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

Changing dns servers will help, but only with the dns server side of things. I have a call logged with UPC and sent them some info on the connectiong dropping but thats a seperate issue. To change dns servers you just need to change the settings in your tcp/ip properties to show the addresses of the opendns servers. How to do this depends on your OS but for windows 7 you
    1: Right click on your network icon beside the clock and pick "open network and sharing center"
    2: Pick "change adapter settings" and then right click on your network connection and pick "properties"
    3 Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and you will see the TCP/IP properties.
    4 Where it says "obtain dns servers automatically" change to the "use these dns servers" option
    5 Put these numbers in 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    6 Make sure you have them exactly right, you may have to type "067"
    7 Hit "apply" and back out.
    If you couldn't get online because of dns servers being down this should sort it. Get more info by googling "opendns"

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

Last night i had couldn't connect to the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Still problems in D7 for me - since June.
    I've had four weeks service where there were no disconnects, four tech callouts, told it was an area problem and two changes of internal cabling and an attenuator fitted - still drops out every 20mins for 1minute.

It looks like DNS issues (as in getting 'Looking for *webpage* when browsing), I can't change DNS servers on the Cisco so I have changed them multiple times on the PC, laptop etc still makes no difference (Google Public DNS, OpenDNS)

In summary:
    Internal cabling replaced #1

Told it was an area problem (never told what) but amazingly I then get 4 weeks of the service I'm paying for, no disconnects)

Attenuator fitted & cabling replaced #2

I was told if that didn't fix it then the modem/router would be replaced but I've read horror stories on here that they sometimes replace this 3 or 4 times and problem is still there.

My UPC BB/phone experience has been terrible, the absolute pits.
    Another phone call tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sparedog12

Problems seem to be back again in the Dublin 7 area on Monday evening (4/9). Connection keeps dropping again. This is becoming a real pain. The service, up to the last couple of weeks, has been flawless since last November.

Advertisement