Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not happy with vet

Options
  • 02-10-2010 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My 9yr dog was refered to cork with a spinal injury,
    spent a week there for pain management and came home with a leg that ulcerated so badly that my vet here had to call every other day to remove dead skin clean and banadged the wound this had to be done under sedation,
    he also had a large deep infected pressure sore on his bum that again had to be flushed with saline twice daily and we had to make sure he didn't sit on it. so there had to be someone with him 24/7
    His back is doing good thank god but i'm very upset and quite angry about all the additional suffering he went through.
    Called cork as did my vet to relay prob, they apologised.....
    what do ye think??
    what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Is the Cork vet in Togher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Gizmo2004

Yes, my referral was with the spinal consultant there, I had dealings with him before he had done spinal surgery on my uncles dog with great results, met with him on the Monday we discussed at length Tass's condition he felt it might not be surgical but said the only way to be sure was by doing a myelogram, was assured if it wasn't surgical Tass would be left home because he is such a sensitive dog with extreme separation anxiety issues.
    was rang that evening and it was confirmed surgery wasn't the way to go, but they wanted to keep Tass in for pain management as after myelogram patients can be in more pain because of the extra pressure on spine...none of which was explained before..
    the spinal consultant left on hols next day and Tass was left in the hands of his "capable co worker"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

http://www.vci.ie/

See if the vet is registered and if so file a complaint. It's all there on the website.

Thanks for that, and I have looked into that and their code of practice which they are clearly in violation of at least three points , also could go to solicitor etc.., I guess i just wanted to know what my first port of call should be, try to resolve it with vet, head for solicitor...make offical complaint. I have seeked advice from four other vets all "off the record" they recommend waiting.. they've explained what they would do if they were the offending party and the least they expected them to do.
    Thanks again for thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The reason I asked is that I've only heard good things about them - I was actually down there this week with our guy! If it was me I'd want them to reimburse the fees from the complications since you brought him home. I'm not sure if I'd take it any further - if it was our guy i'd be just happy if he was ok? I hope your dog feels better soon.

• Advertisement

Thanks tk, I too had only heard good things about them,
    was shocked with their response, I spoke with them at length about it and when they called back the next day they said they had ordered new beds for kennels and new mats to prevent this from happening again no comment as to why pressure sore wasn't treated for 5 previous days, they mentioned it on the phone on the Thurs, i drove down with Tass's bean bag the next day thought it might help, when I picked him up on Tues vet said it was of no concern, the next day my vet in limk (who's excellent) called he put him on antibiotic straight away,he advised to dress his leg as it looked very bad as i said it did ulcerate into a huge mess 3incx2 very deep, cork had only said to put cream on twice daily.
    Keep thinking if these probs had been addressed sooner Tass wouldn't have gone through all this!
    We aren't fully healed yet, two weeks later we're getting there though, today was the first time he set down without whimpering!! leg is looking so much better too thank god vet bill here at the moment is 1406 euro none of this is in relation to his back asked cork if they'd be happy to take care of it, they seemed shocked and I haven't heard back from them since.
    so wasn't sure what to do next....

Advertisement