Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

zoviet:france

Options
  • 02-10-2010 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

About time for an appreciation thread on zoviet:france, I think. Is anyone else a fan?

They started in Newcastle in the 80s and released a slew of extraordinary works throughout the 90s and the early 2000s. One of them has gone on to release music under the name Rapoon; not sure about the other guy.

A term often used to describe zoviet:france at the time was "dark ambient", a generic term which seriously understated the experimentalism at work in their music. They made extraordinary use of samples and showed a wonderful feel for the texture and grain of recordings - something which must have seriously influenced contemporary (to us) electronic experimentalists like Christian Fennesz or Tim Hecker, and even the likes of Philip Jeck. For all zoviet:france's avant-garde credentials, though, their music was often staggeringly beautiful and you could almost describe some of the tracks as "hook-y", albeit in an abstract way. I think this makes their stuff much more accessible, and now that pretty much everybody - even U2! - has embraced the idea that noise like radio static can be "musical", it surprises me that it is still quite hard to find a lot of zoviet:france's CDs.

Their best stuff (to my mind) has a collage-like quality; the sounds seem to come from other sources. But, oddly, the fact that they're so hard to place seems only to make them more evocative, even plaintive - like recordings from a bygone era that have degraded over time. Washes of noise occasionally interrupted by crackling signals, shimmering drones, warbling peals from middle-eastern -sounding instruments, transient fragments of voices as if snatched from the airwaves of exotic radio stations - these are just some of the recurring tropes in what was a unique musical rhetoric.

I heartily recommend these:

"A Flock of Rotations"
    "Assault & Mirage"
    "Shadow, Thief of the Sun"
    "The Decriminalisation of Country Music"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

tumbleweed.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Sounds like someone I need to check out from your description - never heard of them before.

Tumbleweed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

A response! Wha-hey!

Check them out for sure. A lot of their stuff was put out by Mille Plateaux in the 90s. I think they released quite a bit on their own label too.
    Sounds like someone I need to check out from your description - never heard of them before.

Tumbleweed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I have a Reformed Faction album and saw a gig by them a couple of years ago but I haven't gone back to the original albums at all. I keep meaning to as from all reports, the old stuff is awesome.

Advertisement