Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordpress pages/categories

Options
  • 02-10-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Im playing around with wordpress (something i've avoided previously) but a client/friend requested it. I dont know much about it, but im learning.

Initially, i made a static page for each page on the site, lets say there are 10 pages. Then, in the backend(wordpress) i made a category for each of the page's content. That worked great! However, what if my friend wanted to make a new page? Id have to do it for him... This wont do..

So I created my own template, have the system working fine and everything looks great! My problem is using it...

I have created a few pages, and they are coming up in the menu bar - fantastic! Now i have made some categories... my understanding is that i have to make a category, which represents the page... then whenever i make a post, that page will pull the data from the category...

Is this right?

If so, how do i link a category to a page? I cant for the life of me find it in the backend of things.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

red_ice wrote: »
    If so, how do i link a category to a page? I cant for the life of me find it in the backend of things.
    If I am reading you correctly, you have created Pages and you are creating categories too. This is not right.

Pages are generally used for static information.
    Categories are used to organise Posts.

What version of WordPress are you using? The latest is version 3.0.1.
    The default theme will be sufficient to get you going and get you used to writing posts/creating pages.

You can write a few posts and they will automatically appear on the front page. Categories can be created to group posts together (so someone can click to view posts from a specific category).
    You can create pages with the static information.

Can you post a url to the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 marketingtv

Wordpress is very easy to use once you get the hang of it.

page like stated above are for static content. If you create a page you dont need to create a category for it. If you are creating posts then you should create categories.

Have a look at lynda.com and the wordpress lessons on there, they go into great detail about using it.

I use wordpress for all my projects, it is a fantastic CMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I've been limited big time with wordpress. Its a great CMS, but theres little point to only having one page that can have dynamic content.

Its ok tho, i've recoded some of it so that page id's load category id's. So now when I create a new page id, i can create a coresponding category ID and link them together. Its working fine now.

The page isnt online atm at all, because i wanted to build a theme before i started with the implementation of WP to my mates website. So now i have the theme sorted, and the category/pageid thing in the header.php, so its all good.

I was thining of starting to use joomla for this, but when i got into joomla, i found it to be very sluggish.

i've recoded some of it so that page id's load category id's. So now when I create a new page id, i can create a coresponding category ID and link them together. Its working fine now.
    Why are you linking page and category ids??? What are you trying to achieve?

Aside, as the data (posts and pages) are separate from the theme, you should be able to put the site online and still work on the theme.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Why are you linking page and category ids??? What are you trying to achieve?

Aside, as the data (posts and pages) are separate from the theme, you should be able to put the site online and still work on the theme.

well the idea is to have a menu in the middle of the screen

Home | News | Category 1 | Category 2 |

home is static, but the other 3 need to be dynamic. The right area in the default theme shows all the categories and sub categories, but he doesnt want them there. I did turn them into the menu and delete the menu area, but it didnt really work out how i had planned.

When a post is made to either category, he doesnt want them to all show up on the front page. So i just tied the categories to the pages, which seems to have done the job.

• Advertisement

home is static, but the other 3 need to be dynamic. The right area in the default theme shows all the categories and sub categories, but he doesnt want them there. I did turn them into the menu and delete the menu area, but it didnt really work out how i had planned.
    By "right area" I assume that you mean the sidebar. You can delete that via Appearance/Widgets or editing sidebar.php.
    When a post is made to either category, he doesnt want them to all show up on the front page.
    Under Settings/Reading set the Front Page to be a static page (set to Home).

I am going to set up a WordPress 3.0.1 installation on my my web site to try to demo to you how it can be done without making a page for each category (I plan to use the new menu manager).

Here is the demo installation, using WordPress 3.0.1 and the default theme (TwentyTen).

http://ci.damiencarbery.com/ - The front page displays a static page ("Home").
    The menu was created with under Appearance/Menu - I added the Home page menu item and both categories. I did not have to create any pages for the categories.
    I can give you a login account if you want to have a poke around it.

daymobrew wrote: »
    Here is the demo installation, using WordPress 3.0.1 and the default theme (TwentyTen).

http://ci.damiencarbery.com/ - The front page displays a static page ("Home").
    The menu was created with under Appearance/Menu - I added the Home page menu item and both categories. I did not have to create any pages for the categories.
    I can give you a login account if you want to have a poke around it.

Thats exactly what im looking to do!

was that done through widgets then? all i have are "themes / widgets / editor" in the appearance menu.

Im using 3.0.1 aswell on localhost, however i poke around to see your setup would be very insightful.

Cheers

i just loaded the default theme and found it in the menu. My theme isnt 'widget enabled' atm, but ill work on that now.

Found everything i need to do. Thanks loads for that - the limitations comment i made earlier on wp are fading big time!

<edit>
    haha, just swapped back to my theme and its all set up! - grand.
    </edit>

Advertisement