Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home network problem

• 02-10-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

First of all I need to explain I'm a complete amateur with a little knowledge - dangerous combination I know :D

Because I can't get proper b/band I have a three dongle which I'm actually quite happy with, recent speeds have hovered 2-3mbps. To achieve this, I have the dongle upstairs outside connected to a dovado router.

I'm living in a new-build and have cat5 cables running back to a central point to a switch, the connection from the dovado down to the switch is perfect but the signal doesn't distribute to the other points in the house. One of the other links seems active (lights up on the switch) but none of the other three do and I get nothing on any of them when I plug the laptop into the points.

Didn't wire the cat5s myself, got an electrician to do it and they look ok, but can this be the only answer, that the wiring is wrong? Or can it be something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Is the switch working ok. Did you test all of the switchports with the laptop. What type/model of switch is it? If the switch is ok it seems to point to the cabling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You say an electrician did it, from my experience electricians know absolutely nothing about networking

How are the ends of the cables terminated? In what order are they terminated? If they're terminated at an ethernet socket did the electrician use T568A or B? If rj45 are used on the ends of the cables, in what order are they terminated?

10-23087-wiring.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

bandit197 wrote: »
    Is the switch working ok. Did you test all of the switchports with the laptop. What type/model of switch is it? If the switch is ok it seems to point to the cabling.

Nikkai 8-port, got it in Maplins. Need to re-check the switchports, but pretty sure tried a few of the switchports with the laptop direct.

Advertisement