Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing the tolka

Options
  • 02-10-2010 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭

What stretchs are suitable for fly fishing in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

best stretches are from the Finglas Road and up through tolka valley park there is very easy access to the river there. Suitable for fly fishing, but the season is over so you wont be able to fish it until next march

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I know the seasons over i just usually either worm or spin fish but have fish stockies befour so decided to try my luck on a river

Strictly speaking the Tolka is a stocked river. It gets stocked with rainbows twice a year i think mostly before competitions. Biggest would probably come to 2lbs but usually around the 1 lbs mark. But the fact its a river will probably present you with different challenges you would face on a stocked lake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I have to admit iv never seen rainbow in the river just brownies

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

thehamo wrote: »
    Strictly speaking the Tolka is a stocked river. It gets stocked with rainbows twice a year i think mostly before competitions. Biggest would probably come to 2lbs but usually around the 1 lbs mark. But the fact its a river will probably present you with different challenges you would face on a stocked lake

Rainbows? Hrm - this seems odd as I thought there were restrictions on introducing non-native species into rivers with native stocks still present. One of the reasons for this (as explained to me) was that rainbows are more inclined to feeding on fry and more aggressive generally then brown trout leading to a decline in the native stocks. I know that I've been reprimanded in the past by members of the Dodder Anglers for suggesting that rainbows had been introduced into that river accidentally a number of years ago on similar grounds. Similarly I was under the impression that accidental releases of rainbows into rivers with native fish breeds was a fine offence - this was something I had been told by one of the local angling club members in Woodenbridge where these accidental releases seem to occur almost every winter from a local fish farm.

Obviously my information might well be incorrect and the policy may have changed in any case. I'd be interested in hearing a definitive answer if anyone has the knowledge.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected Evac. I destinctly remember catching rainbows in the tolka when I was a youngster, however, looking at pictures on the web I can see that they are stocked browns:o

case in point http://www.bebo.com/c/photos/view?MemberId=7068202599&PhotoAlbumId=10357803455&PhotoId=10357830535#photoId=10357830535

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Evac105

To be honest I expected to be corrected myself so it's a pleasent surprise to find out I'm right about something...anything (newlywed :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

few nice brownies caught there at end of season,, mainly worms though
    i fished clonee stretch early in season no use, looks polluted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 mckibben

is there any good fly fishing downstream from bots to arthur griffith park?

oNLY FISHED CLONEE stretch guy, looks like dead water, to tell you the truth i am annoyed to see levels of pollution in tolka, would make great fly fishing river if plan put in place.
    Think opening day is tomnorrow with a few stocked fish.

would be interested in all views on this river

• Advertisement

mckibben wrote: »
    is there any good fly fishing downstream from bots to arthur griffith park?

to be honest no. best fishing is from river road (finglas south) to the, well what used to be royal oak pub. Primarily cause it gets stocked up around finglas and its easy pickins especially around this area. I dont really know why they dont go much further, suppose why bother????

Not 100% sure about the clonee/mulhudart stretches as ive never fished them. I heard of up to 5lb fish caught there but im not sure.

Totally agree could be a superb trout stream. Though i never realised the amount of chemical companys on its banks up by clonee, explains a lot really. Not that im saying they have anything to do with it:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

its a shame that the tolka could not be cleaned up, it was once one of the richest rivers in eurpoe.

walked the clonee stretch today, water was low and clear, no sign of a fish any where, few perch fry under bridges. river looks a bit cleaner, but could still do with a proper clean up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That river used to grow wild 2 pounders when the fish were left relatively unfished.
    I remember a long time ago after a pollution event , 2 dead eight pounders were found. This in the days when eveything in it was wild.
    A catch and release policy would do away with the need to stock, and allow fish to grow to the river's ability.

Was walkin to the shop this morning and noticed some fishing rising for a small White fly down by the church in glasnevin village. I live right beside the river so popped back and got my rod an waders. Went in and got 2 nice brownies in the space if half an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

i reported in a previous post a very poor polluted looking tolka last year..i'm pleased to say I walked past the river today and saw two fine sea trout c.1.5lbs a piece taking flies there today, it amazes me how tough these fish can be albeit that they are prob just in from the sea on the tide;)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

What puts me off the tolka is the insecurity of the place especially around the ashtown/finglas area..I did see a trout rise for the first time ever today at ashtown bridge but the place is filthy and overgrown and the Association is a complete joke. They may put stock it with a few trout every now and again but they they engage in precious little else IMO. I paid the subscription last year (bought card in ABC) but received nothing from them in return or no reminder this year...needless to say that I WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY SUBSCRIPTION! A pity really because the river has potential ..if only it wasn't used as a bin by so many people:(:(:(:(:(

Tis a crying shame really. The lower reaches of the river aroun glasnevin are a lot safer but fishing isn't as good.

The price of membership I think is a bit outrageous. Compare it to the price of membership on the dodder where it is much more of a proactive club

Advertisement