Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service Provider Troubles

• 02-10-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've just started a one year lease on a house and i've been trying everyday to get the internets...
    eircom and UPC said no because of cable troubles and now wimax say no because of "oversubscription" in the area...
    so basically i'm down to looking into the little usb things you can get from o2 and the lads...

I've gotten really mixed reviews of how great or not great they are.... is it worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Get one of UPC or eircom to fix your "cable issues". UPC use the cable line to your house, the co-axial cable that you used to connect your TV to. Eircom use the phone line. Get in touch with them again, they don't want to turn customers away. Don't bother with midband dongle solutions for any serious internet use. Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 martins.las

i'm in maynooth..

well its just there's no tv in the house.. theres absolutely nothing.. a upc engineer called out this morning and told me the old cables were taken out and new cables were never put in so the house is an empty shell.. i'll do my best to work on them to replace the cables though cos i figured those dongle things would be useless.

cheers for the advice though i just needed to know if the dongle things were worth a shot before i tried to argue with upc.

it'd all be grand if my next door neighbour cancelled their wimax subscription

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Getting UPC to connect you up could be expensive, they may have to dig up the road, depending on the circumstances.

Like I say, eircom don't use the same wires of UPC, so you can get DSL from them or Magnet or Vodafone, etc. Look into that as an option if the phone line is connected.

Have a chat with your landlord, he might be willing to come to an accommodation. Remind him that getting the house physically attached to a telecoms network will increase its value and rent-ability.

yeah i think i'll have a chat with the landlord about it..

i think i may end up just caving and getting the dongle thing... not that its a very appealing option.. just at this stage i cant wait much longer and if its going to take digging up the driveway its more trouble than its worth

thanks a million though i'll get onto the landlord either way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

it'd all be grand if my next door neighbour cancelled their wimax subscription

No, it would not. If Imagine have subscribed the are to the maximum, then you can bet that the majority of customers are getting feck all. Imagine WiMax can be every bit as bad as 3G mobile.

If the phone line is unsuitable, then eircom will do nothing to fix it. Your best bet would be to try and find out why the UPC cable was never replaced, and if it could be replaced now. If it was just the internal wiring in the house that was removed, then the cable should still be there outside. This should be a cheap and simple fix.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ripplecom and digiweb metro are possible fixed wireless alternatives.

I've been in touch with UPC and theres a cable hanging loose at the front of the house that supposedly once upon a time was the cable they want but at the moment i'm "waiting on a call from the maintenance team" to see what the deal is..

and yeah good shout i've heard bad things about wimax since..

dont know a thing about either ripplecom or digiweb metro but i'll definately look into it thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

If you can get metro id go for that as its a good service ive heard nothing but good things from people who use it ..
    and its a fixed wireless which means it wont suffer from the slow down that people on imagines wimax do!
    but id keep trying with UPC they would be the best option :cool:

Advertisement