Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks

Options
  • 02-10-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

My last dog (1 year ago) died of a heart attack due to fireworks being set off across the street. Tonight they are being set off again and my present dog started to shake uncontrollably and i was certain he'd have a heart attack too, so i sent him out to my sisters house for the night.

Does anyone have any tips how I could go about preventing this, is there medication the vet can give or maybe something i could do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

My dog used to be terrified of fireworks, she'd hide under my bed and just shiver until they stopped- my uncle's a vet and he gave us a seditive to help her relax, it worked pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Turn up the tv or radio loud to drown out the worst of the sound, turn on lights so there's no flashes, and try not to react to the dogs fear. Be calm yourself too.
    There are plug in things you can get too that release a calming scent. I would only use sedatives if really needed, its a long way to halloween yet. I know you can get a gel sedative that you dab on the nose that works quick (sorry don't remember name).
    I grew up in London and bonfire night was very bad for fireworks, but the animals weren't to bad, piggies and rabbits needed most care, cats and dogs seemed fine, but then in a city like that I think they get more used to the loud sudden noises.
    Both my dogs were out with us St Patricks day and sat and watched the fireworks quite happily, but I know how bad the fear can be, growing up my neighbours dog that was nervous anyway, used to get so worked up she'd pant and drool and try and hide. It was awful to watch.
    Try talking to your vet, but try other means first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The plug in thing is DAP, it also comes in a spray so you could spray it on a bandana and put it on your dog.
    You can get a fireworks cd that you play for your dog, start playing it at a volume thats barely audible and gradually increase volume over several days until you can play it loud and it doesnt bother your dog.
    It's also a good idea to create a covered den for you dog this time of year, they love to go somewhere with a roof, like under your bed so you can a make a cosy den and it's somewhere safe for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

You do all remember that fireworks are illegal? Don't underestimate what a simple phone call to the Gardaí can do.

Last halloween there were kids setting fireworks off outside my house. I phoned the local station but didn't really expect anything to be done. Within 5 mins the Gards were outside my house.

The radio and TV are the best things to do. Also keep the attention of you dog. Don't leave them on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

If you play classical music to your dog it has an amazing calming effect. It is also very helpful at drowning out the noise of fireworks!

Have you tried "introducing" the dog to a safe firework party. Depending on age if she was to accompany you to one and see you were relaxed n calm she may well get used to them, especially if there was other dogs about.

Stressful time of year for pets and their owners! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The most important thing is to remain calm and not try to comfort the dog because they see that as you being frightened. I've managed to train mine to recognise fireworks as the cue for belly rubs, but they react more with anger than fear to loud noises.

Have you tried a distraction technique such as throwing food in their bed, or giving them a stuffed Kong to chew on so that they see fireworks as a cue for good things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Stella2010

Yes I agree with the fireworks CD if you can get one.
    Dog Training Ireland sell the DAP diffusers - worked well for my old westie who HATED fireworks.
    Also you can get pet calming essences in health food stores too - worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I bought the DAP diffuser from these guys: http://www.medicanimal.com/index

Cheapest I found - not sure if it's really helping though, she's still pretty terrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Honestly the very best thing you can do is completely ignore them. When mine first heard fireworks being let off their very first reaction was to start to run over to me. Once they saw that I completely ignored the noise they stopped and watched me. When the next banger went off a second later the looked right at me and once they saw me not react that was the end of it. They looked at each other, did the doggy equivalent of a shrug, and never paid any attention to another firework again.

I understand how difficult this will be for you in light of last year but your dog looks to you for everything. Dogs see all sorts of things every day that are potentially terrifying. The first time a bus drove past Dougal he vomited in terror but if you show them by your own reaction that these things are normal rather than scary they will tune them out.

The fireworks cd is a great way to do this. Play it quietly at first while completely and utterly ignoring it. As your dog learns to accept the noise you can turn it up bit by bit. Eventually your dog will accept that fireworks are not a threat and will stop noticing them.

The problem with getting a sedative from the vet is that so many morons just shoot them off for weeks on end at this time of year. If it was just Halloween and NYE it would be reasonable to give your dog something. But when it's day after day from late September to mid-November it's not safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

iguana wrote: »
    Honestly the very best thing you can do is completely ignore them. .

I cannot ignore him, This was not a simple case of a dog being scared of the sound, his eyes rolled back in his head and his breathing became shallow and his heart was beating rapidly.

Im off to the pet shop shortly and will see what products they have to calm him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Stella2010 wrote: »
    Yes I agree with the fireworks CD if you can get one.
    Dog Training Ireland sell the DAP diffusers - worked well for my old westie who HATED fireworks.
    Also you can get pet calming essences in health food stores too - worth a try.

DTI do the fireworks cd aswell , http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

thanks for that link, Im getting that CD

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭C2

Agreed the DAP and the meds from the vet really worked wonders for my parents collie!

Advertisement