Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Salmon

Options
  • 02-10-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I eat a lot of salmon but it all seems to be farmed. As far as I can tell all the prepacked refrigerated salmon in my local tesco is farmed in either Ireland, Norway or Scotland. The only wild salmon I could find in the store is frozen and comes from Alaska.

Is it only possible to buy wild salmon frozen, or is there somewhere you can get it fresh too? Would frozen wild salmon be healthier than farmed fresh salmon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Go out and catch one yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Well thats not exactly practical for me, unfortunately it will have to be store bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Frozen wild salmon would be healthier, yes. Afaik salmon freezes well so it should not be considered inferior to fresh farmed salmon. You could also try looking into organic farmed salmon, there are a few farms of this type, the fish are kept at sea (well near the coast I imagine) and are very different to regular wild salmon.
    Anyways bottom line is you need to find a decent fishmonger who will help you out, tesco's probably won't cut it in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Why not buy canned wild salmon? Dunnes sells Alaskan stuff, currently 70% extra free.

Btw you don't want to be eating salmon (or any fish for that matter) more than twice per week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Btw you don't want to be eating salmon (or any fish for that matter) more than twice per week.

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,049 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Why not buy canned wild salmon? Dunnes sells Alaskan stuff, currently 70% extra free.

Hardly a substitute for fresh or frozen salmon!

Almost all commercial salmon fishing in Ireland has been stopped for the last couple of years.
    As a result, Irish wild salmon is very difficult to come by and tends to be ridiculously priced as a result.
    It is, afaik, illegal for an angler to sell salmon he/she has caught and you can be pretty sure that if an angler is selling salmon then they're poaching as the limits are so restricted these days that no one in their right mind would sell the few salmon they are allowed to legally catch.
    Also, all wild salmon must be tagged - if there is no tag then it is poached (I'm open to correction here but that is how I understand the situation to be).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Its great when you catch a Salmon legally and eat it it just gives you a sense of accomplishment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Ask in any fishmongers when the season is and if they stock wild salmon during the season.

Any decent fishmongers will have it in season, but may not have it everyday. As was said before, its expensive, Ican image they can only justify stocking it if they are sure it will sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

I have fish around 5 times a week, either for lunch or dinner, sometimes more.

• Advertisement

Mr.David wrote: »
    Why??
    LFC5Times wrote: »
    I have fish around 5 times a week, either for lunch or dinner, sometimes more.

Mercury poisoning (causes cancer) and PCBs (causes cancer).

Note nearly all wild salmon begin their life as farmed salmon so they are high in PCBs.

I remember reading a recommendation from the the EPA (US) that you should limit salmon to at most once or twice per week, and that's assuming you aren't eating any other fish.

Salmon is probably the best fish you can eat. Most of the other fishes are fairly poisonous, e.g. tuna.

FYI I eat wild salmon twice per week and would consider myself very health conscious!

Note nearly all wild salmon begin their life as farmed salmon so they are high in PCBs.

Sorry what?

side note, Mercury poisoning has been grossly overstated in the media in the past few years.

Sorry what?

Yeah I researched this topic heavily about 12 months ago.

When a product says "wild salmon" what they really mean is "we farmed them up to a certain age, then released them into the wild, and then caught them a certain amount of time later". That is all legal and allows you to put "wild" on the packaging.

By all means do your own research and find out for yourself.

thats not the same as what you said before.

thats not the same as what you said before.

Yes it is. Stop trying to argue with people all the time. If you're unhappy person take it out on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there Mr. Loverman. If you have a problem with a post - use the Report Post function & let the forum mods deal with it. Don't back-seat moderate as this only serves to drag threads off-topic.

Also, remember the boards.ie golden rule - "attack the post - not the poster".

Thanks,

HB

Advertisement