Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can anyone help me

Options
  • 02-10-2010 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi i work in retail and we just got a new manager a few weeks ago.
    he brought his own staff and myself and two other workers had our hours cut i being employed there for over two years is what he is doing legal?
    anyone any advice i would be very grateful thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

what does your contract say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sandyxx

i have a bog standard contract just about days off and flexibility
    nothing about hours or days oh i forgot to say i work part time 23 hrs a week now down to 15 hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You can have your hours slashed to your contract minimum no problem, happens all the time in dead trading periods- where flexi people who work 37.5 hours can and do get the minimum 15 hours. Why does this manager have staff with him/her? Did the other store close down? In that case, it's understandable but a bit mean to begrudge someone hours, they have to be shared around. If your contract says you have to work at least 10/12/15 hours and you're working 15, nothing wrong with that. If it says nothing about hours, no comeback against reduced hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you have been working an average of 23 hrs per week for the last 2 years this working pattern can be sen to supersede any minimum hours mentioned in your contract.

I presume the company you work with doesn't have a HR dept and it's just your manager that deals with everything.

In that case, either you never had or can't get a copy of your contract. When there is a change in your contracted hours, you are entitled to be consulted and an agreement reached. As you are in the business over 2 years, atleast they can't just fire you, you would be entitled to redundancy.

I would put it in writing asking the manager to explain why your hours have been dropped from 23 to 15 hrs per week.

You could say this letter is needed for the social welfare office or for a credit union / bank if you don't want to cause any extra agro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you have been working an average of 23 hrs per week for the last 2 years this working pattern can be sen to supersede any minimum hours mentioned in your contract.

This. It's called 'contract by practice'.

I used the principle once. I'd been on a higher tip point (tips/hr) due to extra responsibilities. Employers brought in new supervisor grade which took on many of those extra responsibilities and my tip point was made standard. When I figured this out, a quick chat with our reasonable and knowledgable HR person and my previous higher rate was reinstated.

Be careful how you approach it. Be calm and reasonable.

good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement