Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If you were to compare Liam Brady to the best of the last 10 years, where is he?

• 02-10-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I was talking to my Dad the other day who saw him play in his prime. He said he would be like Paul Scholes, in his prime. Or Roy Keane, Zinedine Zidane.

For anyone who knows Liam Brady, where do ye rank him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

CorkMan wrote: »
    I was talking to my Dad the other day who saw him play in his prime. He said he would be like Paul Scholes, in his prime. Or Roy Keane, Zinedine Zidane.

For anyone who knows Liam Brady, where do ye rank him?

You couldn't compare him with a thug like Keane, or a phenomenon like Zidane. He was closer to Pirlo, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ah Jeez really hard question and a little before my time . The older members and posters may give a better point of view but I remember seen a documentary and they raved about Brady , it wasn't an Irish made one but something about an era of great pros .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

More Pires than Pirlo I would have thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

You couldn't compare him with a thug like Keane, or a phenomenon like Zidane. He was closer to Pirlo, in my opinion.

Jesus fúcking Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I well remember Liam Brady when he was in his prime and in my opinion he would be in the top 5 of Republic of Ireland players of all time.

He was unfortunate that his prime coinsided with the underachieving pre Charlton era and even Big Jack didn't appreciate Liam's silken skills.

I may be wrong but I can't think of any other Irish player who had a successful career in England and then went on to have further success in Italy.

If only we had someone like him in the squad now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

chughes wrote: »

If only we had someone like him in the squad now.

Probably still wouldn't play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I watched the video above - I reckon Frank Stapleton was the better player - banging in the goals!:D

I watched the video above - I reckon Frank Stapleton was the better player - banging in the goals!:D

... ask Frank Stapleton that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Tbh hard to compare him to anyone as it is hard to compare anyone to him. He was a special type of player and one you dont see anymore technically gifted and a hard bastard.

His best compliment is Juve had to buy Platini to replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

chughes wrote: »
    I well remember Liam Brady when he was in his prime and in my opinion he would be in the top 5 of Republic of Ireland players of all time.

Agreed. He'd be alongside Keane, McGrath and Giles. Not sure who'd be the fifth member of the top 5 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Tbh hard to compare him to anyone as it is hard to compare anyone to him. He was a special type of player and one you dont see anymore technically gifted and a hard bastard.

Didn't they sign Platini and Brady then left rather than replacing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

dreamers75 wrote: »

The way you wrote the last line looks like you meant that Brady left them and they got Platini in to fill the position, whereas it was that Brady had to leave as Serie A had a 2 foreigners per club rule to allow Platini to join.

I think Giles said that Ozil was the closest he's seen to Brady during the WC.I've never seen him play as I wasn't born, but from clips and what people have said,possibly Sneijder would be a good comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

baz2009 wrote: »
    Probably still wouldn't play.
    Its funny you say that, I think Stephen Ireland in 2008/09 was the closest thing I've seen to Brady and he doesn't play for Ireland:D

Seriously Brady was like Ireland that year but consistently for many years. A marvelous, marvelous player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

JPA wrote: »
    Didn't they sign Platini and Brady then left rather than replacing him?

Well they had a 2 forigner max rule in Italy at the time so when they decided they wanted to sign Platini it meant they had to get rid of brady.
    he scored the penalty that won Juve the 82 title dispite knowiing the club were about to replace him.

They also refused to sell him to Roma who wanted to sign him as they were title rivals and then roma went on and won the 83 title after brady went to samp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Comparing Brady to modern players, Scholes springs to mind for me. Brady maybe wasn't as dynamic as Scholes, but even better with the ball. Although I was fairly young when Brady was in his prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Wilshire is definitely showing signs of being the new Liam Brady I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Would have liked to have seen Brady in his prime. Two things that impress me :
    1) his caps total. Far ahead of any other players of his era. Clearly this fella wanted to play for his country despite being part of a rubbish setup.
    2) the amount of time he spent in Italy. I think it's a true sign of a great player that they can perform at the highest level in one country and then go and do it again in another. No other Irish player has achieved that. It takes guts and imagination to try a different country and not just hide away in the same comfortable league/team year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

mixednuts wrote: »

Great pix at 5:40. I'm guessing that's the friendly v Italy at Dalymount in 1985? Players appear to be Inter teammates Alesando Altobelli and Guiseppi Bergomi.

Interestingly Marco Tardelli was also a teammate of Brady at Inter at the same time. Funny how it all comes together like that.

bonerm wrote: »

Interestingly Marco Tardelli was also a teammate of Brady at Inter at the same time. Funny how it all comes together like that.

I remembering hearing Brady is married to his sister .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

bonerm wrote: »
    Would have liked to have seen Brady in his prime. Two things that impress me :
    1) his caps total. Far ahead of any other players of his era. Clearly this fella wanted to play for his country despite being part of a rubbish setup.
    2) the amount of time he spent in Italy. I think it's a true sign of a great player that they can perform at the highest level in one country and then go and do it again in another. No other Irish player has achieved that. It takes guts and imagination to try a different country and not just hide away in the same comfortable league/team year after year.

Not many English players aswell! Gazza, Ian Rush, Souness all didn't do aswell as Liam Brady abroad.

Advertisement