Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In Leaving Cert Now :(

• 02-10-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Need help or suggestions, I've no idea what to do.
    I was at the NUI Galway open day today and it really seems great. I've wanted to do Mechanical Engineering for years now so that settled. But I'm also going to the UL open day when that's on.
    1. I'm doing the UL Computer Studies course, so I'd be wasting my time with it if I go to NUI Galway wouldn't I?
    2. Which college would be better, I've always preferred UL, but that new Engineering building looks really useful.
    3. I'm doing Honors maths and German, but pass Irish, will that make a difference? (Basically I gave up on it :( )
    4. Would I be better off going to UL as I'm pretty good with PC's and I'll do good in the Computer Studies exam (I built my own pc and overclocked it ;P)

Just looking for some guidance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Need help or suggestions, I've no idea what to do.
    I was at the NUI Galway open day today and it really seems great. I've wanted to do Mechanical Engineering for years now so that settled. But I'm also going to the UL open day when that's on.
    1. I'm doing the UL Computer Studies course, so I'd be wasting my time with it if I go to NUI Galway wouldn't I?
    2. Which college would be better, I've always preferred UL, but that new Engineering building looks really useful.
    3. I'm doing Honors maths and German, but pass Irish, will that make a difference? (Basically I gave up on it :( )
    4. Would I be better off going to UL as I'm pretty good with PC's and I'll do good in the Computer Studies exam (I built my own pc and overclocked it ;P)

Just looking for some guidance.

I'm a bit confused, are you in Leaving Cert, or UL, or is the computer studies a PLC? Even if you didn't need it in the future, its not a waste of time to have another cert to your name, to have some sort of qualification if you don't like the college course.

I think you'll have to decide on which area you'd prefer, mechanical engineering or something computer based. Do some research into both courses, even if you like computers, the course might not be exactly the area that you're interested in.

The courses would probably be similiar in both colleges, so just think of which campus you prefer, are they easy to get to, how much is accommodation, what are the points and requirements like? I don't think doing pass Irish is a disadvantage, its generally not a requirement to do Honours so unless you're stuck for points it shouldn't matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I'm a bit confused, are you in Leaving Cert, or UL, or is the computer studies a PLC? Even if you didn't need it in the future, its not a waste of time to have another cert to your name, to have some sort of qualification if you don't like the college course.

I think you'll have to decide on which area you'd prefer, mechanical engineering or something computer based. Do some research into both courses, even if you like computers, the course might not be exactly the area that you're interested in.

The courses would probably be similiar in both colleges, so just think of which campus you prefer, are they easy to get to, how much is accommodation, what are the points and requirements like? I don't think doing pass Irish is a disadvantage, its generally not a requirement to do Honours so unless you're stuck for points it shouldn't matter :)
    Well, I'm in leaving cert now and put simply, I'll have the UL only "Computer Studies" course, which can count to 100 points if it's done perfectly, or I can forget about it, focus more on my main subjects and try for Galway. Both courses are around the 400 point mark. Should I just continue as I am and apply for both and make my decision then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Computer studies course is worth doing even if it didn't come with points, so if I could, I'd stick with that.

No college is really 'better' than another. Your experience of college will depend on the others in your group, your lecturers, your own commitment to work, your own success rate.

Make sure when it comes to the CAO form that you fully understand how the allocation of places works and fill it out accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Well, I'm in leaving cert now and put simply, I'll have the UL only "Computer Studies" course, which can count to 100 points if it's done perfectly, or I can forget about it, focus more on my main subjects and try for Galway. Both courses are around the 400 point mark. Should I just continue as I am and apply for both and make my decision then?
    Your CAO doesn't have to be fully submitted until July (you have to have it in first in February but you can chop and change as much as you like). Research fully into both, try and consider which would interest you more, which you'd enjoy and all that, then pick the college. Try and find people who've done the courses, either on boards (each college has a forum, and theres the careers and job discussion forum at the top of the LC forum). See if theres any more open days and information evenings where you might be able to find students in the course already.

Okay, I'll ask a few people at the open day, and a few of my cousins who went to each one (Mechanical Engineering in UL or NUI Galway). Thanks a million lads :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

mbt_kng can you explain a bit more about the 'Computer Studies' course, the sylabus, are you doing night classes and are the 100 points added to lc results?
    My son is interested in doing computers for lc but I can't get any info on it.
    Could he do computer studies in the IT and would that be added to lc results?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

shefra wrote: »
    mbt_kng can you explain a bit more about the 'Computer Studies' course, the sylabus, are you doing night classes and are the 100 points added to lc results?
    My son is interested in doing computers for lc but I can't get any info on it.
    Could he do computer studies in the IT and would that be added to lc results?
    Thanks

From what I remember of it ( I knew a couple of people in Limerick who did it for LC), it's a course for LC students in computers. Technical stuff, not ECDL or anything like that. It's run by UL and if you do it they will class it as a LC subject and award points in the same way as they are awarded for other subjects. It is only accepted by UL though and would not be recognised by any other college for points/requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Interesting ... I didn't know about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

From what I remember of it ( I knew a couple of people in Limerick who did it for LC), it's a course for LC students in computers. Technical stuff, not ECDL or anything like that. It's run by UL and if you do it they will class it as a LC subject and award points in the same way as they are awarded for other subjects. It is only accepted by UL though and would not be recognised by any other college for points/requirements.

Thanks rainbowtrout. Its such a disaster in this day, in this century that the education curriculum is so backward. my son hates french, definitely will not pass along with other subjects that have no relevance to what he wants to do,which is graphics, media etc:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ihatethesnow

Hi
    I know this topic i few weeks old now. But i was just wondering how do i get information on taking computers on as a leaving cert subject in UL ? can't find any info on their website

Anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi
    I know this topic i few weeks old now. But i was just wondering how do i get information on taking computers on as a leaving cert subject in UL ? can't find any info on their website

Anyway

I would say your best bet would be to contact the College of Informatics and Electronics in UL. At least I think that's what the official name of the computing department is and go from there.

Or contact the admissions office and they might be able to give you some information

Sorry for not responding. This was just offered as an alternative to Japanese, LCVP and study in my school, so I took it. I haven't taken it seriously, and I'll be pretty annoyed if it ends up counting at the end of all this, as I could have done much better. I wouldn't recommend it, too much theory and most of it is outdated. For example, we're learning about IDE and Routers/Switches/Modems when thats all been replaced by SATA and a single box for the home user.

Advertisement