Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland's best bjj players

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

But I think myself Jk save jones Liam beachnor
    Have had our day
    I think the guys on the current circuit , who are getting results should be the priority here.. @ 34 I still compete at least once a year & hopefully keep doing.

As for submission Only no time limits , will stop stalling. I'd disagree. Stick with the ADCC format , without the heel hooks etc maybe. On the plus side of using a current organizations rules ,either IBJJF or ADCC, it might get recognized by that organization and develop the sport even more here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I thing Barry is being slightly modest there too :p I'm sure while not winning the whole thing, would certainly bring some game to the table. Same with Mr Murphy, Cowzer and Doc there.

Im not been modest! i'm not in the grappling calibre of the people who should be in this tournament and as much as i dont mind been beating up i'm happy to get beating up by blue belts for now!!

But in saying that all compliments in future are still welcome.. :)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

Cowzer, maybe id just like to see you get beat up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭Marty Mc

Very Marty, and Im not suggesting names but I would have thought you might make the list. Some people have very limited memories.

David, you know how to make a guy blush!? :P

I really appreciate that you would think that i would be of a level to compete with irelands best. I havent been able to compete as much as i would like due to varios reasons but would be very interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wayno

cowzerp wrote: »
    With all due respect this would not happen, there would be no audience to aim for that would make it worthwhile been done by any station..

if the worlds where televised people would not watch in any numbers for example..

Will be awesome if it happens, and i would love to see some of the top grapplers that have not been competing in Ireland involved so we could guage the levels of the likes of Darragh, Wayne, Tom etc...
    Yeah i also done the nogi nth irish open, plus i broke my rids 8 weeks ago
    so could not do the irish open never missed it + i love this to happen :)

Come on barry get it going and put the cash up and it will happen :eek:

http://www.waynefaganbjj.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

If the right advertising was done, this could be a big deal. All it takes is a few journalists to get on board. It surprises me how little publicity BJJ / Sub grappling gets. Actually surprise would be the wrong word. Annoy is more like it.

I know for a fact that my local paper has fairly substantial articles on how the local 3rd XV got beat at the weekend. If the guys entering this (at present theoretical) competition are effectively the best in the country in a sport that may potentially be at the next olympics, would that now lead ou to think that the talent on show at this competition may in fact be travelling to Rio as part of the Irish Olympic team? I think thats a fair selling point. Also it would be a chance to put a little distance between the present confusion between BJJ and MMA amongst the media (Or is that just a personal supposition? Not that I'm paranoid or anything.. much.).

And what did you do to the ribs Wayne?! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

If the right advertising was done, this could be a big deal. All it takes is a few journalists to get on board. It surprises me how little publicity BJJ / Sub grappling gets. Actually surprise would be the wrong word. Annoy is more like it.

I know for a fact that my local paper has fairly substantial articles on how the local 3rd XV got beat at the weekend. If the guys entering this (at present theoretical) competition are effectively the best in the country in a sport that may potentially be at the next olympics, would that now lead ou to think that the talent on show at this competition may in fact be travelling to Rio as part of the Irish Olympic team? I think thats a fair selling point. Also it would be a chance to put a little distance between the present confusion between BJJ and MMA amongst the media (Or is that just a personal supposition? Not that I'm paranoid or anything.. much.).

And what did you do to the ribs Wayne?! :eek:

the media is a tricky one, look at the size of competitions in the UK and they dont have it.

your best bet is a local paper, for the munster open last i did some work trying to get paper coverage, the local papers are fine but the nationals wont go past the big 4/5 sports coverage wise.

look how big the ufc is now and that isnt being covered, you would be better of spending your efforts elswhere than trying to get national media coverage, the sport isnt olympic and until it is it wont get any help, even when it is an olympic sport it doesnt mean it will get help.

There are plenty of irish competing in the olympics with almost no help or coverage from home.

the net is your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Any venue with tired seating decided yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

That would be a great venue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

No. I can't really understand Nordies when they talk so it would cause problems.

this and the previous quotes have just counted me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

weemate wrote: »
    this and the previous quotes have just counted me out.
    F*cking Nordies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

How about 10 minute rounds sub only and in the case of no finish, a further 5 minute overtime points round?

Absolutely agree. 10min rounds are long enough with a 5min over-time if no submission. Off course without heelhooks aswell but all other leg-locks applying.
    The ADCC rules gives the best chance to show the true skillset of a well-rounded grappler and allows points for takedowns which are significantly more important for no-gi grappling specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rickson1

Here's a list of competitors that I'm sure most would agree on hopefully. In no particular order - (I'm sure a few on this list would have no interest in it though and the weight would play a factor at this level...although maybe not!..cough..Marcelo Garcia..cough)

John Kavanagh
    Piotr Stawski
    Sebastian Torres
    Graham Keyes
    Josie Murray
    Tom King
    Martin Mclaughlin
    Darragh O'Connell
    Michael Devlin
    Mark Curry

Any amendments to this list or complete disagreements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 hendy

Rickson1 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. 10min rounds are long enough with a 5min over-time if no submission. Off course without heelhooks aswell but all other leg-locks applying.
    The ADCC rules gives the best chance to show the true skillset of a well-rounded grappler and allows points for takedowns which are significantly more important for no-gi grappling specifically.

100% agree with this.. The ADCC rules would be the best way to decipher who the best sub-wrestler is.. as Rickson1 has stated, takedowns are used alot more, which will suit some people more than others.. If i was invited i could showcase my 'flying cart-wheel pass' which i have been working in by back garden..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Just to throw in my two cents:

If the goal is to find the best BJJ player then it must be in a gi with BJJ rules.

If it's to find the best grappler then no time limit no gi submission only is the way to go. ADCC rules are great but someone with good takedowns and submission defence can usually kill the match for ten minutes.

Half the names that have been mentioned won't be interested. Piotr Stawski as far as I know is heading home early next year. I hope all invitations are in scroll format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 TJHOOKER

Cool idea. Kavanagh, Keys and Dave Jones would be definate top guys from the old school I would think. Do Dave Roache and Alan Lowry still train, they both used to be very good.

I bet there are a few guys in clubs dotted around who dont compete but could be real contenders? A few of those could make for interesting 'wildcards' if they accepted..

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭crosdad

This has to happen. sounds bad but i think a cash prize is a great idea and incentive to make this a realy great comp. beats getting a medal :) The dublin open, informed performance etc.. are all great competions but i dont think we neccasarily see the best guys compete against eachother in these comps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

ttt

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Chris89 wrote: »
    ttt
    piss off Chris I'm only home a day.

Advertisement