Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic floor

• 02-10-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭

I'm renting from council,bought insulation last oct 170mm thick I think,short one roll.anyway I managed to lay it ok,but then decided with left over laminate to try floor it/.however I didnt want to squash it ,or damage wires,so I screwed 2x1 to the long timbers running the from front to back not sure if its beams or joists they're called.I then screwed the laminate to the 2x1 battons,as the laminate was offcuts.....{Is this method ok ,for long term use for walking and storing,my children are at me to get a light and plug in so they can use it during the summers..}.rafters not insulated...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,575 ✭✭✭✭ted1

can't imagine the laminate is strong enough. It. Designed to be laid on a solid floor. Pop up to woodies and get attic flooring about six euro per square meter. Then laminate over that. The laminate would only be needed for looks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, you're foot will go through the laminate eventually, or even before that. not suitable on its own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

thanks guys,I've seen the one in woodies its chipboard,will I still be ok to screw that onto the 2x1 batons or just onto the existing beams???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If the battens are already there, leave them & use them.
    Screw new boards to battens. No harm if every 3rd batten was screwed to existing floor joist to prevent accidental movement of floor / battens slipping off joists.

Advertisement