Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband v Ntl

• 02-10-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi there
    Looking for advice

I'm moving to SKY from NTL and you have to have a landline for multi room viewing but have NTL phone TV and BB at the mo and Sky can only tap into eircom landline.

So I've been looking at eircom BB and phone. I believe NTL have the best BB at the mo and I'd believe that because they tend to upgrade people for free and Ive never had any speed problems. I've yet to eircom ring them and ask if they have Next Gen installed in my area but I'm mainly concerned about the download limits - NTL dont have any but Eircome are 30Gb on their 3mb package and 50gb on their 7mb packages. I have 15bg with NTL with unlimited usage. So I'm wondering should I just move the phone and leave BB with NTL??

TBH I don't think it will cost that much more to move to eircom but I'm not actually saving anything just doing it so I can move to SKY TV.

My main concern is that I wont end up taking an inferior BB package. It's hard to figure out if you would exceed the 30gb limit - I read somewhere that a medium surfer woudln't use over 20gb in a month but I wouldnt' like to expose myself to additional charges.... We use the internet alot TBH

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

opps. computer is fupped and answered wrong post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

adhoc wrote: »
    My main concern is that I wont end up taking an inferior BB package.

eircom is far inferior to UPC broadband, you'd be a fool to change backwards like that.

UPC is not unlimited either, no broadband package is.

It's hard to figure out if you would exceed the 30gb limit - I read somewhere that a medium surfer woudln't use over 20gb in a month but I wouldnt' like to expose myself to additional charges.... We use the internet alot TBH

You'd have to monitor your own usage to know what you're likely to use. Average is meaningless when you're concerned with one particular user (yourself).

Any advice?

Do not switch to eircom from UPC. Re-evaluate whether you even want to move to Sky and multi-room. Unless of course you have tons of money to throw away, then knock yourself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

A sky eye allows you to watch and control sky from another room but you can only watch the same channel in each room. My parents have 5 TV's hooked up to the same sky box :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I switched from vodafone (eircom) to UPC yesterday and am loving it, my broadband is literally 10 times faster than on eircom's system.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 viperockz

innovated wrote: »
    I switched from vodafone (eircom) to UPC yesterday and am loving it, my broadband is literally 10 times faster than on eircom's system.

where do you live????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Comparing Eircom to UPC is almost offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

UPC don't exactly smell of roses either... I wonder if they're still routing half their web traffic to Amsterdam... I know they still obfuscate the issue of caps and the false "Fair Usage Policy". And heaven help if you have to change your package in some way (irrelevant of contract length) as you'll be charged for every aspect of a downgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I have had my fair share of problems with UPC customer service, but what they provide in terms of broadband etc... still apes anything Eircom have to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's only in the last 2 years or thereabouts that UPC cover more customers with 15mb+ speeds than eircom does with its limited but quasi-nationwide ADSL2+ product. Eircom have had many problems with congestion in some exchange areas particularly in Limerick and in the vicinity of Dublin, but UPC have plenty of reports on boards against them too, just on a more local, sporadic scale. Except when upgrades are rolled out, where the number of complaints here shoot up.

UPC also have a clear price advantage, which is great but that's separate to whether UPC have other problems or not. They do have issues, and on a regular basis. Most people will have to use customer service at some point and in the case of UPC, it's nigh on impossible to troubleshoot some of the faults that can happen on a cable network using just a pc. The unfortunate thing is that their customer service dept don't have access to much more either:(

I'm all up for recommending UPC for broadband since they took over from NTL but the praise here for them is almost as if they were infallible. They're definitely not:) When smart broadband first started and had an active rollout, I can barely remember any complaints against them save for the holdups that eircom were creating if you switched over.

viperockz wrote: »
    where do you live????

I live in Firhouse.

Done some tests on my 30mb line and get at max 22mb, which whilst 8mb slower, is still damn better than have ever been able to get with vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I live in Firhouse.

Done some tests on my 30mb line and get at max 22mb, which whilst 8mb slower, is still damn better than have ever been able to get with vodafone

Wired or wireless ? I'm getting 22 MAX over wireless but this varies and is normally in the 17-19 vicinity. Wired is 27-28.

dodzy wrote: »
    Wired or wireless ? I'm getting 22 MAX over wireless but this varies and is normally in the 17-19 vicinity. Wired is 27-28.

was wireless, havent tried wired as i only use wired network at home for PS3 and an IP phone, im happy enough with 22mbps on wireless, managed to download an 800mb iso in 5 mins, where as on vodafone it would have taken the guts of an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Definitely get Sky over UPC for tv but I would stick with UPC for the Broadband - They put me on NGB and slapped with a 30gb limit which is impossible to stay under - broadband is snail slow still.

I will be joining you soon if I can actually get through to Eircom to cancel -think everyone must be on to them today.

ZOLTAN28 wrote: »
    Definitely get Sky over UPC for tv but I would stick with UPC for the Broadband - They put me on NGB and slapped with a 30B limit which is impossible to stay under - broadband is snail slow still.

I will be joining you soon if I can actually get through to Eircom to cancel -think everyone must be on to them today.

i hope u mean 30gb limit, 30mb would be done in a few mins for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

i hope u mean 30gb limit, 30mb would be done in a few mins for me

I do - editing now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The cheapest broadband package offered by UPC (8 mb down) has a 120GB download cap. Thats pretty decent for €25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

I recently switched to UPC from Eircom, previoulsy i was paying 50 euro for 3 MB line with 30 gigs of limit. Once they charged me 4 euro for going over a cap, next day cancelled my contract. 3 days later had ups installed. Very happy with the 8Mbit package. Ping are great, finally when playing online lag is not affecting me like it was with eircom.

Advertisement