Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K1 - Overeem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Jesus hes after puttin up serious size, looked better a bit lighter, moved better too, hardly considering taking on the carwins and lesnars is he? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Could ya imagine brock running away from that...

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Never mind his neck, I don't think I've ever seen triceps that big :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

I watched the whole card (it's all on youtube). There were some really great fights, really exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Thanks for posting, that accuracy of striking like that in 4/6 oz gloves would be deadly, him and lesnar would be real tear up, if only he'd take a step up and fight the best.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote: »
    him and lesnar would be real tear up.

There would be no tear up, if he does not get a take down he will run away again and this time it would be more severe as Carwins beat down of Lesnar as Overeem is a real striker who would finish the job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

i would rate his strike technique and stamina above carwin's, so i see what you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Arlovski pulled out of his fight. Anyone hear / read why? Was looking forward to seeing him in K1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

cowzerp wrote: »
    There would be no tear up, if he does not get a take down he will run away again and this time it would be more severe as Carwins beat down of Lesnar as Overeem is a real striker who would finish the job..

But he most definitely would get the take down as Overeem is nowhere near Lesnar's wrestling level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Kazooie wrote: »
    Arlovski pulled out of his fight. Anyone hear / read why? Was looking forward to seeing him in K1.

Broken nose was the word going around but I'm not sure if it was confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

weemcd wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, that accuracy of striking like that in 4/6 oz gloves would be deadly, him and lesnar would be real tear up, if only he'd take a step up and fight the best.

The problem is finding a fightter that will fight him in strikeforce. in my opinion he is the best heavyweight out there and would cripple Lesnar.

Can't wait for him to run down his last firght or two on Strikeforce contract and head over to the UFC. saw him in the flesh at UFC 93, guy is massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And he looks even scarier now without the little tuft of hair :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

On Inside MMA this week Bas Rutten listed his top three heavyweights as Overeem, Fedor and Brock, in that order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Thought he looked a little stiff and flat footed but has hands of cement

I think a good wrestler like brock would take him down and control him

Thought he looked a little stiff and flat footed but has hands of cement

not saying he would not, but in fairness he was not worried about takedowns like he would be in MMA..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Schiavello:
    You could screen a movie on his neck

LOL @ the voice!

Overeem is a monster though. He looks like a modern day comic book hero with the fighting skills to match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How did he get up after the first punch, christ almighty!!!!

Gintonious wrote: »
    How did he get up after the first punch, christ almighty!!!!

I think the 2nd was much more vicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The Reem is the man. I would love to see him fight in the UFC but first two fights in Strikeforce, Fedor and Werdum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I would love to see Overeem in the UFC too but I would find it unlikely because of the exclusive nature of UFC deals. In other words being tied to a UFC deal would forbid him from competing in K1 event afaik but I suppose that if the deal was financially beneficial to Overeem then it'd be an acceptable compromise.

It would be a fantastic coup for the UFC to sign him though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I saw a doc/interview with Overeem, he said one of his life long goals is to be a K1 champion.

I think if he wins this tournament, fights Werdum and Fedor, he will go to the UFC for sure.

It's scary how good he seems to have gotten since he started on the horse meat! In person the guy is a behemoth!!! He takes his training very seriously and is active in either K-1 or MMA on a regular basis. Pity he isn't in the UFC, I'd love to see him vs carwin, Brock, JDS etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I TOLD YOUUUUU, I TOLD YOUUUUU, I TOLD YOUUUUUUU.

Hahaha was the Voice screaming that or the other guy?

Anyone know facts how many fights Reem has left on his contract?

Actually when is the last time Ubereems takedown defence was tested by a good wrestler?

@ sheehy, he is in the K-1 GP so he'll be in that until he loses I presume?

Also, I can't stand that Kiwi K-1 commentator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

the size difference between him now and the shogun fight, is like 2 different people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I bet Cro Cop is still feeling those knees to the nut sack from last year :eek:

Guy is reaching 30 and imo his peak, as for his size? he really has looked every bit the "Ubereem" in the last 2 years.

I'm never one to abdicate a move to ufc as I like a bit of competition in promos but for him I whole heartedly welcome it after he gets shots at werdum and fedor. Those are worth staying put for.

On another note I am really glad Arlovski didn't fight in K1 this time around there was no way I saw any good coming of it, and if he peruses it more fool him.

Also, I can't stand that Kiwi Ozzy K-1 commentator.

:eek: Michael Schiavello ?????

Best in the business imo, well puts UFC lads to shame. Love him calling fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

His commentary on some of the other fights was very funny I must say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

I dont see it happening. Brocks takedowns are based on brute force more then technique, once his opponent can match him for power he doesnt have much luck.

Overeem shrugs off lesnars TD and finishes what Carwin started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    His commentary on some of the other fights was very funny I must say.

The one liners make him stand out for me:

"He's been mounted more times than a pommel horse."

"He's sweating like Josef Fritzl on an episode of Changing Places."
    "There are two things I know for sure: Britney Spears will never win Mother of The Year and Albert Kraus didn't win that fight!"

"He went swimming last week and Japanese whaling boats began firing harpoons at him."

"He's been on his back more than my ex-girlfriend."

"He wears more hair product than Bon Jovi."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I dont see it happening. Brocks takedowns are based on brute force more then technique, once his opponent can match him for power he doesnt have much luck.

Overeem shrugs off lesnars TD and finishes what Carwin started.

nah :D , he takes him down early and i dont see him getting up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

Lesnar was a NCAA Division 1 champion I'd hazard a quess that Lesnar has lots of technique along with huge power.

Also the Overeem hype is insane. Whats even more insane is that people shrug off Lesnar as someone who has never beaten anyone notable yet believe Overeem is the next messiah. Why is it that Lesnar gets stick for not beating anyone at the top (even though he has!) yet Overeem seems to have a get out of jail card there? Is it because, I don't know, people are blinded by their sheer hate for Lesnar?

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    The one liners make him stand out for me:

"He's been mounted more times than a pommel horse."

"He's sweating like Josef Fritzl on an episode of Changing Places."
    "There are two things I know for sure: Britney Spears will never win Mother of The Year and Albert Kraus didn't win that fight!"

"He went swimming last week and Japanese whaling boats began firing harpoons at him."

"He's been on his back more than my ex-girlfriend."

"He wears more hair product than Bon Jovi."

He'll never beat Don Frye though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

The love for Overeem in this thread is strange.

He battered some randomer in that video and people are talking about him having a chancce against Fedor?

Fefor, Werdom, Carwin etc IMO he would be mangled in them fights.

• Advertisement

Dancor wrote: »

He battered some randomer in that video and people are talking about him having a chancce against Fedor?

Based on what?
    He's a K1 level striker, has a vicious guillotine, good ground game, good td and submission defense and is built like a nuclear submarine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

overeem weighed in at 242, thats extremely light for him...

The randomer who flew through the Oceania K1 quicker than anyone ever before?

IMO, he'd beat Werdum, why else would Werdum want to fight Fedor again instead of Overeem?
    He has the footwork to destroy Carwin.. Only person of any repute that Carwin's beaten is Mir, and Mir was foolish enough to trade with him...
    And although Overeem hasn't beaten anyone either.. All Carwin has is his massive right hand.. Overeem's footwork would win that fight for him i think..

I'd like to see him in a rematch with Werdum, he's come on a lot since Pride.

I'd also like to see him do the business at last in K1 this year, is this is 3rd time in the finals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Yes but there's no Badr Hari this year which substantially improves Overeem's chances. Hope he does win tbh, he deserves a big trophy from Japan, he's been slogging away over there so long.

• Advertisement

calex71 wrote: »
    I'd like to see him in a rematch with Werdum, he's come on a lot since Pride.

I'd also like to see him do the business at last in K1 this year, is this is 3rd time in the finals?
    2nd I think.Lost to Badr Hari last year.Not sure was his loss to Remy part of the tournament or not :confused:

Wiki says no about the Remy fight actually so this is his 2nd time

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Yes but there's no Badr Hari this year which substantially improves Overeem's chances. Hope he does win tbh, he deserves a big trophy from Japan, he's been slogging away over there so long.
    I still want to see a 3rd fight between them

I still want to see a 3rd fight between them

+1 you know it couldn't fail to be a cracker.

Based on what?
    He's a K1 level striker, has a vicious guillotine, good ground game, good td and submission defense and is built like a nuclear submarine!

Based on the fact that them fighters are some of the best in the world atm.

He is a great kick boxer that is all he is. Anyone with good wrestling or BJJ would easily have their way with him. From what I can see he beat one person of note (Belfort)

Kongo is pretty build too, does that make him awesome?.
    ScareGilly wrote: »
    The randomer who flew through the Oceania K1 quicker than anyone ever before?

LOL big whopp. Like the standered there is brilliant or something.
    After what a decent KB like Overeem did to him it says alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

You do know that Overeem has a very solid ground game and the level of striking in K1 is miles better then what most MMA fighters have?

His striking is better then any MMA heavyweight around at the moment and his ground game is not to be sniffed at. Not one MMA heavyweight would be looking forward to be stepping into a cage with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Based on the fact that them fighters are some of the best in the world atm.

He is a great kick boxer that is all he is. Anyone with good wrestling or BJJ would easily have their way with him.

He's just a kickboxer? I hope you're kidding. The guy won ADCC Europe and has probably the best standing guillotine in the history of MMA.

And the standard in Oceania is very high.

Fromvert wrote: »
    His striking is better then any MMA heavyweight around at the moment and his ground game is not to be sniffed at. Not one MMA heavyweight would be looking forward to be stepping into a cage with him.

Thats all well and good because striking is his bread and butter.
    Jayo_M wrote: »
    He's just a kickboxer? I hope you're kidding. The guy won ADCC Europe and has probably the best standing guillotine in the history of MMA.

And who of note has he beating under MMA rules? Belfort is all I know of.
    And the standard in Oceania is very high.

Yeah for Oceania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Kharitonov and Vovchanchyn ring any bells?

Thats all well and good because striking is his bread and butter.
    And nobody like to try shoot incase he catches them in that guillotine. Nobody has a chance out muscling him in the clinch either so how exactly are these Wrestlers and BJJ fighters gonna get him to the ground? He hasnt gone to the ground in a long time unless he wanted to

And who of note has he beating under MMA rules? Belfort is all I know of.
    As jayo said, they were world ranked at the time he beat them

Yeah for Oceania.
    Which makes sh!t out of the US and a lot of Europe(except Holland really) when it comes to KB

Kharitonov and Vovchanchyn ring any bells?

No, to be perfectly honest.

But Nog, Chuck, Shogun and Arona do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement