Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K1 - Overeem

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dancor wrote: »
    No, to be perfectly honest.

But Nog, Chuck, Shogun and Arona do.
    Really?:confused:

As for the others, they're valid losses to some of the best fighters in the world at the time.
    Overeem at HW though is a very different beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Well, if you don't know who they are, then you're not really in a position to judge Overeem's record in all fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Well, if you don't know who they are, then you're not really in a position to judge Overeem's record in all fairness.

Ah he has a fine record and fair play to him but when people are talking about him like he is the second coming of christ after a video of him bating some fat aussie then I have to say something.

I hope he signs for UFC because the matchmaking would be fresher and he is a big name that will draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

TheTMO wrote: »
    Lesnar was a NCAA Division 1 champion I'd hazard a quess that Lesnar has lots of technique along with huge power.

Also the Overeem hype is insane. Whats even more insane is that people shrug off Lesnar as someone who has never beaten anyone notable yet believe Overeem is the next messiah. Why is it that Lesnar gets stick for not beating anyone at the top (even though he has!) yet Overeem seems to have a get out of jail card there? Is it because, I don't know, people are blinded by their sheer hate for Lesnar?

Look at how Lesnars TD's faired against the 1st fighter who could match him for size. Carwin just brushed him off in the 1st.

The hype around Overeem is largely coming from his K1 success, there arent (m)any mma fighters who would KO badr hari in kickboxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Ah he has a fine record and fair play to him but when people are talking about him like he is the second coming of christ after a video of him bating some fat aussie then I have to say something.

Majority here in the know would be basing their opinion on a hell of a lot more than that video :rolleyes:

His K1 record is only 7-4, ben edwards is a far more experienced K1 fighter 31-7!!!!!!!!! So he is certainly no chump.

Overeem has 45 mma fights that works out at over 4 a year + his K1 and other fights. This is what impresses me about the guy. He is far more active in competition than 90% of other HW mma fighters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

No, to be perfectly honest.

But Nog, Chuck, Shogun and Arona do.

All those fights happened 3+years ago and at LHW, he is totally different fighter now and he's now fighting at HW.

The man has called out fighters and he still can't get a fight off any of the Strikeforce HW's and it's not to do with him being inactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

Jayo_M wrote: »
    Kharitonov and Vovchanchyn ring any bells?

Did you see the rematch with Sergei? -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZa6Fdfu8oY

That was only 3 years ago.

Overeem can put on as much muscle as he wants - it's not going to stop him running away when he gets hit, just like he did in his fight and just like the equally massive Lesnar did against Carwin.

That said, he is exciting to watch and fights against the likes of Brock, Fedor, Cain or Carwin would be fascinating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

Yeah, I've seen the rematch. Sergei was a beast back then, and I'd love to see a motivated and fit Kharitonov have a rubber match with Overeem. But it still doesn't take away from the fact that Overeem did beat him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just got finished watching the rest of the fights from last weekends K1.

Man was it a cracking event, last few HW GP's have been pretty dull but this was a barn burner for sure. They really need to show this over here if they don't already?

JLB leaving the ring when the fight was declared a draw and going to a 4th round was shockingly bad form.

• Advertisement
Advertisement