Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which elective do you think is best to do for Geography...?

• 03-10-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

You know the very last option on the exam- You can choose from Culture, Atmosphere, Geneolgy (sp? The one on soils...), Global interdependence etc. What would you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'd say geoecology. Most people do this one so information on it could be easily gathered. It's also fairly confined, there are only a few questions they can ask really. It's not the most interesting stuff, but it's very manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

You're thinking of the Option, not the Elective (that's Economic or Human).

I did Geoecology. It boils down to Soils (how they're made, different profiles, types, their benefits... really really boring but it's not complicated) and the Biome, divided into Characteristics and the Human Impact (study of a region with 3 or 4 of the following characteristics: Climate, Soils, Animals, Plants. Most do 4, it's easier than getting specific on 3).

I did the desert biome last year for example, Characteristics (why it's hot, how it's animals/plants survive, how its soil developed) and then Human Impact (overagriculture in Africa, the desert spreading, etc.)

Maybe some people find it boring but it's my favourite part of the Geography course and worth about 12.5% I think. If you like nature documentaries you'll like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Clearl

wayhey wrote: »
    You're thinking of the Option, not the Elective (that's Economic or Human).

I did Geoecology. It boils down to Soils (how they're made, different profiles, types, their benefits... really really boring but it's not complicated) and the Biome, divided into Characteristics and the Human Impact (study of a region with 3 or 4 of the following characteristics: Climate, Soils, Animals, Plants. Most do 4, it's easier than getting specific on 3).

I did the desert biome last year for example, Characteristics (why it's hot, how it's animals/plants survive, how its soil developed) and then Human Impact (overagriculture in Africa, the desert spreading, etc.)

Maybe some people find it boring but it's my favourite part of the Geography course and worth about 12.5% I think. If you like nature documentaries you'll like it.

Thanks, where or what books did you get the information to do it from???

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I'll have to check for you but I think it was "Today's World" for the desert (and possibly the soils, including the brown earth soil profile)... we used the "ECO" textbook in school but that didn't cover it. The desert's great for characteristics, but that was a question this year. I'm going to do the rainforest repeating - it covers both human impact and characteristics pretty well. I haven't seen yet where that's covered but if I do this week I'll let you know.

I bumped up any notes my teacher gave me with my own research on animals/plants etc. There's loads of info out there, be it BBC documentaries or the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

do geoecology - they only essentialy ask 2 questions, revolved each year! i used a thin, green book cant remember what its called though sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Definitely Geoecolgy and more specifically the Desert Biome. 1 decent sample answer covers all possible questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I did Culture and Identity and found it to be very interesting and rather easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

Geoecology without a doubt.

Advertisement