Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring to Medicine

Options
  • 03-10-2010 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Is it possible to transfter to Medicine from first year Biomed in Ireland like it is in the UK?
    (Usually the top 5 students from the year get the chance for an interview)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Afaik, no, or it isn't publicised anyway. I know someone who was top of the class in first year Biomed science, and there was no word of any interview to transfer to medicine. Internal transfers within the college do take place but I'm not sure if this applies to medicine, plus I think you'd still have to have the LC and HPAT points for the year you're going into.

I have heard that if you do 1st year science modules its the same as premed so you may be able to go into first med BUT I haven't heard anything for definite on it. You'd have to contact the university's admissions office and ask them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Themanbear

Afaik, no, or it isn't publicised anyway. I know someone who was top of the class in first year Biomed science, and there was no word of any interview to transfer to medicine. Internal transfers within the college do take place but I'm not sure if this applies to medicine, plus I think you'd still have to have the LC and HPAT points for the year you're going into.

I have heard that if you do 1st year science modules its the same as premed so you may be able to go into first med BUT I haven't heard anything for definite on it. You'd have to contact the university's admissions office and ask them.

Ahh true, I guess if they do allow tranfers for the top students it wouldn't be publicized and it would probably be at their own discretion. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You can only transfer if you have enough LC and HPAT points. I think Trinity allows transfer from dentistry though.

Advertisement