Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

my 360 slim just rrod`d!!!!

• 03-10-2010 1:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭

:mad: im really ****in pissed tbh console just died! froze then died.....

anyone else have this happen???

i have had 3 upgraded xboxs and never had a console failure, im absolutely gutted and so disappointed..

so what happens now do gamestop just swap for a new one? no way am i taking it up the ass sending it to ms im inside years warantee so gs have to come up trumps?? right?

jesus i wish i kept my mw2 super elite now:(

any help would be great,

DK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Well a slim can't get an RROD as it has no red lights:pac:, but yeah.

Depending on how long you have it and a receipt the shop should exchange it, the slims aren't out long. 2-3 months old max. Otherwise ring MS and you will have it back in 10 working days tops. I've had to do it twice so far over the past 5 years. 3 consoles in and I'd buy another tomorrow if my Elite went now. Still have the repaired ones in the attic as back ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Well a slim can't get an RROD as it has no red lights:pac:, but yeah.

Depending on how long you have it and a receipt the shop should exchange it, the slims aren't out long. 2-3 months old max. Otherwise ring MS and you will have it back in 10 working days tops.
    well not rrod but technically yes it is... switch console on now and green light on touch power button stays solid red no green light.

im gutted i honestly feel sick..

im such a fanboy there i said it lol i love the ms console but wow i am raging.

happened like this i was playing fifa 11 played a class 1 2 into box shoot and screen froze:mad: waited and nothing happened for 10 mins so i knocked console off then knocked it on and blammo red light city and console is dead as a doornail

ok tried it again and now it turned on and straight away E71 system error comes up..

i thought they said this couldnt happen the new console thats why i changed it like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

They shold just give you a new one so dont worry about that.

But it sucks that its haveing problums.

They shold just give you a new one so dont worry about that.

But it sucks that its haveing problums.
    I ****ING HATE THIS... i dont care if this sets playstation forum alight but its crazy how have ms not fixed all faults with there console?? so angry over this.

THANKS nightrider..

• Advertisement

ok console just turned on and is now playing fifa???? WTF? im still taking this back to gamestop now im absolutely disgusted that this has happened!

ok so console is working now so where do i stand? could fail again but working now do i have a leg to stand on??

lol this bastarding console has gone back to dying again:mad: ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

OP, what you should do now is throw your Xbox out of the window, an upstairs one, and onto (if at all possible) concrete, not grass. Then gather the shattered remains of your console, put them in the box and return it to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

yeah just bring it back to gamestop with your receipt,tell them what happened and they will replace it for a new one.

Pretty sure gamestop will replace anything within a year of purchase. so you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Now you got me worried, just picked up the shiny new halo reach slim the other day, and was looking forward to not having these problems anymore. I'd imagine they'll replace it, the last thing they want is bad publicity so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

gamestop should replace it no problem.
    It’s a feature Microsoft added to the new XBOX 360 models that monitors the console’s temperature and when it gets hot from lack of air circulation it alerts the user that the console will shut off. This is a form of self-protection from overheating, which will save your hardware from frying itself out. The original 360 consoles were famous for overheating, which was the cause of the Red Ring Of Death.
    Red Dot of Death

Just like the red ring of death on the earlier Xbox version, one of the problems with new Xbox 360 Slim consoles is the red dot of death, or the RDOD. This is a dot of red light that appears on the power up button, and when this dot is present the console refuses to work. The exact cause of this problem is unknown, but it can be fixed with some Xbox 360 Slim repair work at the official Microsoft service centers. You may also like to learn about some commonly seen Xbox 360 Elite problems.

Apart from these issues, there are no major Xbox 360 Slim problems as such. You must remember that this is after all an electronic device, and some pieces are going to experience a breakdown of some kind. The important thing is to not get carried away when this happens and to not panic too much. Fixing the problem in the right manner is very important. The most crucial thing that you need to be careful about is the shifting of the console when a disc is playing inside.

We can tell you that this will permanently ruin your disc and this will be a waste of a good $60. To avoid facing this situation, learn how to copy Xbox 360 games to DVD and always play the games with a back up disc instead of the original one. With the new Microsoft Kinect hitting the stores soon, the shifting of the video games console is one of the problems with Xbox 360 Slim that will be experienced by many people.

If you are facing Xbox 360 Slim problems then you must visit some popular forums and see if there are other people who faced the same issue. If so, then there will be a suitable fix available there as well. At the end of the day, this is a highly advanced device, and if you treat it with caution, there is no reason for it to malfunction or experience problems of any kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Whilst I understand your frustration, had a RROD on an Xbox pro and I know what I pain it is, but I think that maybe you should not overreact.

Your machine is definitely faulty and I would bring it back to the shop and I think they will replace it immediately.

I just think that your machine just happens to have a problem, which can happen from time to time with pieces of technology, even new ones and does not mean that there is a major problem with all new Xbox slims, haven't seen anything on the net about there being a major problem.

Hope this is the case as I'd like to upgrade myself.

One thing I did read is that you must make sure it's not overheating as that can cause problems.

Hope you get it sorted quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

It could be the cable that links the 360 to your Television.My 360 got RROD & I turned it off then the next day to take out my game it suddenly worked but stopped again after a half a hour or so.I Rang Microsoft & they said to buy a new cable(don't know if their called Composite or Compotent anyway) it worked & i've had no problems since bar it freezing in glitchy games eg Bully Scholarship Edition.I'm not saying it isn't RROD but give it a try you'd never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Did you look at what the E71 error is?
    E71: Dashboard Error - Error within Xam.xex: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

As for fixing it...
    Fixing the Xbox e71 is quite tricky. Firstly, you could try completely resetting your Xbox 360. To do this, enter the dashboard, go to the right-most column, go and press "Initial Set Up" then follow the instructions on screen.

If you cannot access this screen due to the e71 error on your Xbox 360, you can try holding the "Y" button on your controller as you switch the console on. This will enter the same process, and restore default factory settings. However, there is still a chance that this might not work, and that you could be stranded with the e71 code.

And if that fails, straight back to the retailer with it.

Supplementary questions: Have you updated the console recently? Are you in the new firmware preview program? Have you tried modding the console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

microsoft are so ****.

-=al=- wrote: »
    microsoft are so ****.
    disagree with that comment and dont think its gonna help anyone?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

the vent at the top of the xbox isnt being covered is it.
    i saw a similar situation on youtube where a game was sittting over the fan vent thus red dotting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

IF you're in the new Dashboard preview, I believe Microsoft said something like....
    We take no responsibility for anything. The Dashboard may brick your Xbox. Repairs? GTFO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

disagree with that comment and dont think its gonna help anyone?:p

You're absolutely right, lets try and keep posts constructive.

Unfortunately, as with all modern technology it seems, MS try to build very high tech equipment to a very low budget. This seems to lead to hardware failures in a percentage of the consoles. I've suffered several RRoD's since launch... I'm thinking about eight or so, so I guess if anyone deserves to harbour ill feelings towards MS, it should be me.

However, I don't. I currently own three 360s, no slims yet though. I consider the 360 as a budget piece of high tech. I spent more on my iphone than any of my consoles, consider this for a moment. You're average mobile phone, unsubsidized by a network costs more than your 360.

I believe that most consoles (PS, Wii etc) have certain software and hardware issues, so it seems that this is an industry standard, designed to have the console at a certain price point to appeal to the mass market. Sales overs quality or perhaps threading a fine line between manufacturing costs and sales revenue.

So let's be realistic, we get a cheap console that offers so much but also runs the risk of hardware failure. MS offer a pretty quick turn around on repairs with an extended three year warranty. As frustrating as getting e71 or RRoD is, at least there's a pretty strong backup service.

I think the question we really need to address is, how much more would we be willing to spend on a console at retail, so as not to run the risk of hardware failures? 10%, 50% perhaps even 100%... I have no idea what the figure is but I will say this, I've accepted the limitations of consoles. I understand when I buy one that there's a risk of failure, that I may be without it for a few weeks while it's repaired/refurbished. Yeah, it annoys and frustrates me but at the end of the day, the repair costs nothing except time and I still think I've a cheap console on purchase.

Please don't mistake me for some sort of MS/360 fanboy, I'm not. This is just my feelings on the whole RRoD situation. However, would I spend an extra €50-€100 (€300-€350) on a 360 that was bullet proof and didn't run the risk of any hardware failure, I think I probably would. However, this brings us back to the question, as a policy, should MS knowingly release a console that suffers from hardware failures? Of course not but at the price they retail at, as consumers, we will continue to spend our hard earned money with our fingers crossed :o

FFS the drama lol..

rang gamestop this morning and was told ring support get reference etc so that was ok did that then couldnt find receipt and was told 100% sure i would have to have it even though clerk knew me well and knew i bought it there:( so then found it and went to gamestop they changed it no problem as E71 failure and was told this was the first irish fail anyways of the new 360 slim GO ME!!! LOL

lose all saves etc though which is ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

FFS the drama lol..

rang gamestop this morning and was told ring support get reference etc so that was ok did that then couldnt find receipt and was told 100% sure i would have to have it even though clerk knew me well and knew i bought it there:( so then found it and went to gamestop they changed it no problem as E71 failure and was told this was the first irish fail anyways of the new 360 slim GO ME!!! LOL

lose all saves etc though which is ****

Couldn't you have swapped the old hard drive with the one in the new console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

Didnt want to start a new thread for this but im wondering has one of my 360's got the rrod

The black one on the right is a 2006 one and has RRoD
    The white one on the left is a 2009 one that i think has RRoD

It was working fine last night and i turned it on today and the lights were flashing, but in the usual RRoD the top right light is not lit up, on this one the bottom right light is not lit up,

Its not in warranty i opened it up and put in a Tailsmoon Whisper fan

Is this RRoD or something else?

Sorry if pic is too big!

20101003266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Couldn't you have swapped the old hard drive with the one in the new console?
    You should have gotten them to transfer the files in the store ;)

Healium wrote: »
    You should have gotten them to transfer the files in the store ;)
    they said we will swap it only thing is all saved files will be lost????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Consolepros

I can guarantee that there will be more slim's dieing fact!!! Ms still has to use lead free solder which will fracture and course errors.

I see Jasper 360's rrod more and more!!! They make the gpu smaller and thats a big help, but the same old defect is still there.There just increasing the length of the fuse;) To be honest reballing with lead is the only long term option ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I see you're back Consolepro, now with an added S. And you're already in full swing with the thread vamping, "fact"s that are not facts, scaremongering regarding the likelihood of slim failure and other nonsense.

Without statistics you're not going to be able to state facts and there are no cold hard facts about slim failures yet. Into the bargain, this thread was E71 (as in nand corruption) related, nothing to do with heat/solder issues.

I'm just waiting for you to shill your lead GPU reballing service again :rolleyes:

I see you're back Consolepro, now with an added S. And you're already in full swing with the thread vamping, "fact"s that are not facts, scaremongering regarding the likelihood of slim failure and other nonsense.

Without statistics you're not going to be able to state facts and there are no cold hard facts about slim failures yet. Into the bargain, this thread was E71 (as in nand corruption) related, nothing to do with heat/solder issues.

I'm just waiting for you to shill your lead GPU reballing service again :rolleyes:

LOL I am not selling anything!!! Just giving my opinion, which is backed by 14 years repairing video game consoles. I have friends that have seen these issues with other slim consoles. So whats your background??? So your telling me that these consoles will NOT fail :rolleyes:

LOL I am not selling anything!!! Just giving my opinion, which is backed by 14 years repairing video game consoles.So whats your background??? So your telling me that these consoles will NOT fail :rolleyes: So I am guessing you know lots about these systems, erm maybe you can tell me why they wont fail because of solder issues as you say???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

fair play TouchingVirus, you are excellent with Xboxs and provide a helpful ear to all those with RROD. dont drop down to anyone's level, im sure many others appreciate your help too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

A primary cause for brittle lead-free solder joints is believed to be due to the long cooldown periods after the solder has been heated up. It serves to reason then that should the source not heat up as much, the cooldown period is shortened and the expectancy of the joints to not suffer from this form of brittleness is also expected.

I'm not saying lead-free solder is perfect, far from it, but RoHS-mandated lead-free solder is here to stay. It's used in a lot of things including mobile phones and you don't get too many broken solder joints on phones but they don't get as hot as a console either.

I have friends who have no issues with their slims, until there are reports published about failure rates then what you're saying is just heresay. I don't need "14 years repairing consoles" to call you on bullshít, you have no facts about xbox slim failure rates and pretending otherwise isn't helping anybody.

With the new process used in manufacturing and the thermoprofile of the device completely revamped with the slim, I anticipate that temperate-related solder issues (which let's be honest, made up the bulk of RRODs) with the xbox console are a thing of the past. That isn't to say they are failure-proof, there will always be failures, even with lead-based solder. The trick is to meet reliability criteria (as in how many units out of a batch will fail). The xbox didn't meet it, but I think the slim will. The only thing you can do is think otherwise, but you don't know.

And now I think it's time for your rebuttal? And really, there should be more to it than "pb solder FTW, lead-tin is your man".

Advertisement