Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of buying a camera in the states!

• 03-10-2010 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi Alll,

I am thinking of buying a Canon 7D in the US. I am traveling to LA for christmas. I am just worried about the warranty! Is canon warranty univeral! Also would I have problems with power conversion!

Thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Have you priced the camera in the States yet ? I recently bought an expensive lens here in Dublin but before I did I checked on US prices and on an Irish price of 800 Euro I would have saved only 60 Euro by buying in the States. Not sure about the warranty covering Europe if you buy in US.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dubhoop

I myself bought a camera in the states last October, in New Jersey highest taxes in america may i add. i also bout a usa/europe travel adopter for use here in Dublin. The camera was a Sony one. It has worldwide warranty as long as it is sent with original receipt but am sure this is the same with most companies. I saved a total of 230 euros. but i never took the box home with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Cableguy wrote: »
    Hi Alll,

I am thinking of buying a Canon 7D in the US. I am traveling to LA for christmas. I am just worried about the warranty! Is canon warranty univeral! Also would I have problems with power conversion!

Thanks for any advise.

Canon and Nikon warranties are regional. A camera bought in
    the US or Asia will not have warranty cover from Canon Europe.

The power plug issue is usually just a slight annoyance. Most
    camera battery chargers will work over a wide voltage range of about
    100-240V. You will probably just need a cheap plug adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

My camera was originally purchased in the States. It really is that simple, you buy a cheap adapter and the charger works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

My camera was originally purchased in the States. It really is that simple, you buy a cheap adapter and the charger works fine.

Did your warranty transfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

-Chris- wrote: »

Sorry, can't help on that part, I bought mine used. The seller bought it in NY, that's all I know. But on the power side you just need a 2-to-3 pin adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I bought my 1dmk3 in the states, signed up to CPS (Canon Professional Services) and they provide warranty cover worldwide. Even paying VAT (no duty on Camera Bodies) I saved a bundle (approx €1000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

hbr wrote: »
    Canon and Nikon warranties are regional. A camera bought in
    the US or Asia will not have warranty cover from Canon Europe.

Thats bizzare. Is it some kind of attempt to stop people from buying from the cheapest sellers? Its the same design right?

Get a pentax instead. Or a sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

-Chris- wrote: »
    I bought a camera a few years back in BH Photo in New York. They give you the option of buying a MACK International 5 year Warranty, which I did, I think it was around the $50 region. Well worth it in my opinion giving the savings I made on the camera.
    Haven't really compared prices recently, so don't know how competitive local shops have gotten.

Advertisement