Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting from family: Am I paying too much?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

stepbar wrote: »
    Sure about the living on 50 eur p/w bit? Maybe you might want to go back over the figures..... Last time I checked a cinema ticket was about 10 eur, a good book about 15 eur, a DVD 20 and a few beers at the weekend upward of 100eur. The internet you're using (unless you bum it) costs c40 - 50 eur p.m. And I only use those as examples..... Maybe you don't drink.... but unless you have no social life, 25 eur would just about feed you for the week and the other 25 wouldn't pay for much else TBH.

I don't drink, borrow books from home or the library, have a pretty extensive dvd collection or can buy more for a fiver. And none of those are surely a weekly expense. And if you can't afford them, you just don't buy them. It's still well easy to have a proper social life. I'm out most nights, spend plenty of time with my friends have a good time. And all for not very much.

You are being awful materialistic about this. You don't need to spend money to have a social life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭ThelotusKid

If the lesson here is responsibility, then, I hope your mum has declared this taxable income to the relevant authority.
    Personally, I find your situation deeply upsetting.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I don't drink, borrow books from home or the library, have a pretty extensive dvd collection or can buy more for a fiver. And none of those are surely a weekly expense. And if you can't afford them, you just don't buy them. It's still well easy to have a proper social life. I'm out most nights, spend plenty of time with my friends have a good time. And all for not very much.

You are being awful materialistic about this. You don't need to spend money to have a social life

Ah... so you're a student. Case closed.

Ah... so you're a student. Case closed.

what has that got to do with anything? I am still living on my own lasting on 50p/w which you argued was not possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

what has that got to do with anything? I am still living on my own lasting on 50p/w which you argued was not possible

Students don't live in the real world... hell I was one myself for a few years and seen it first hand. Except I had to pay my way living in the real world.

• Advertisement

Students don't live in the real world... hell I was one myself for a few years and seen it first hand.

That hasn't answered my question?
    Surely at least most of my expenses would be the same as anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 cariss1

Sure about the living on 50 eur p/w bit? Maybe you might want to go back over the figures..... Last time I checked a cinema ticket was about 10 eur, a good book about 15 eur, a DVD 20 and a few beers at the weekend upward of 100eur. The internet you're using (unless you bum it) costs c40 - 50 eur p.m. And I only use those as examples..... Maybe you don't drink.... but unless you have no social life, 25 eur would just about feed you for the week and the other 25 wouldn't pay for much else TBH.

I think your point of view is a little harsh in your posts here stepbar.
    Assuming bills are covered then having €50/week to spend as you wish is the situation a lot of people are in, not just students.
    I am lucky to be in a comfortable job and can afford the odd luxury but to pi$$ away €100 on "a few beers at the weekend" isn't one of them and my social life doesn't suffer one bit from sensible spending.
    You do know you can buy second hand books and DVD's for €2-€3 that will give you just as much enjoyment as ones that cost €15-€20?
    Frivolous spending is good and well for the irresponsible who have already made a fine mess of the country but you don't need to waste a huge chunk of your income to entertain yourself and live a fulfilling existence at the same time.
    "A Man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" - Well said stepbar, I don't mean this as a dig but please think about that statement.

As for the OP, We know nothing of your family history or why your parents separated but if you have a good relationship with your mother, you are comfortable at home and genuinely feel that part of your income could benefit ye as a family unit then it is money well spent. Better in her pocket than some landlords.
    Just make sure it's not at the expense of your own independence.

Advertisement