Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which australian visa

Options
  • 03-10-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

thinking of heading to australia with the wife and kids next year. as work for me here is looking like it is going to dry up in the new year.
    iam a carpenter by trade and the wife is a care assistant and work for her has been fairly scarce lately to say the least. iam self employed so likely hood of the state helping out isn't great. so before the perverbial s**t hits the fan i want to have a contingency plan in place.

i could go out on a skills visa but from reading through a few of the threads here that looks like 12-18mths for that. my other plan is that i have a brother living in sydney, he emigratted there in 1989 and has married and had a family since. so i was going to ask him to sponsor me.

what is the story with this?
    does this speed up visa applications?
    does this practically gaurantee a visa?
    what responsibility does this place on him? and me?
    do i have to travel to sydney and stay there for a certain length of time?

i also have another brother in perth he emigratted there 2yrs ago he is also a carpenter but his wife is a physciathric nurse. when he applied for the visa it took 2mths start to finish because her profession is highly sought after and the brother told me that the embassy were ringing them making sure that they got the forms and had they filled them out and returned them:eek: and so on.

so if any one has any experience of getting a visa by getting a family member to sponser them, they might give me an idea of what to expect or maybe a few tips on the does and don'ts

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Family sponsoring is not a free ticket or a fast pass, you will still be relying on your occupation to get you into the country and will be at the mercy of long processing times.

Its a good option if you are short of points as for independent you require 120 but if you get family sponsored you only require 100.

Is your other brother in Perth self employed? or could he maybe get his employer to sponsor your for ENS rather than 176? not sure if this would be a conflict of interest or not but going Employer Nominate route would be a few months where going family sponsored might be at the bottom of the heap.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Family sponsoring is not a free ticket or a fast pass, you will still be relying on your occupation to get you into the country and will be at the mercy of long processing times.

Its a good option if you are short of points as for independent you require 120 but if you get family sponsored you only require 100.

Is your other brother in Perth self employed? or could he maybe get his employer to sponsor your for ENS rather than 176? not sure if this would be a conflict of interest or not but going Employer Nominate route would be a few months where going family sponsored might be at the bottom of the heap.

i could ask him and see if he could sort something for me.

the brother in sydney has his own building company so i could deffinetly get a job offer from him. but was hoping to avoid sydney as i spent 12mths there before and wanted to go to western australia this time around.
    would i be restricted to working for the brother in sydney for a set length of time before i could move on?

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i could ask him and see if he could sort something for me.

the brother in sydney has his own building company so i could deffinetly get a job offer from him. but was hoping to avoid sydney as i spent 12mths there before and wanted to go to western australia this time around.
    would i be restricted to working for the brother in sydney for a set length of time before i could move on?

No

If you are sponsored for ENS you have absolutely no restrictions on that visa, once your in your in.

Worth a shot I reckon.

No

If you are sponsored for ENS you have absolutely no restrictions on that visa, once your in your in.

Worth a shot I reckon.

is it a big deal for my brother in australia to sponser me?
    would he have to give gaurantees for a certain length of employment for me?
    and would his company be scruitenised to make sure that they could sustain employment for me?

and many thanks for your replys mandrake:)

sponge_bob wrote: »
    is it a big deal for my brother in australia to sponser me?
    would he have to give gaurantees for a certain length of employment for me?
    and would his company be scruitenised to make sure that they could sustain employment for me?

and many thanks for your replys mandrake:)

Employer would have to give an offer of work for 3 years, and they do trawl through a bit of company paperwork for the nomination.

Probably would be safer getting advice of a immigration agent as to how tricky that would be.

After Black Thursday and from what I heard from family back home there are going be a hell of a lot more applications lodged over the next few months. I would be using any advantage you can.

• Advertisement

Employer would have to give an offer of work for 3 years, and they do trawl through a bit of company paperwork for the nomination.

Probably would be safer getting advice of a immigration agent as to how tricky that would be.

After Black Thursday and from what I heard from family back home there are going be a hell of a lot more applications lodged over the next few months. I would be using any advantage you can.

thanks for that mandrake:)

Advertisement