Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability card

Options
  • 03-10-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if there is a card you can get to prove you have a disibility for use when getting into places where there is a discount.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭babs.jones

Discount like what. I've Never heard of anywhere given a discount cos ur disabled!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The zoo offers reduced rate entry to people with special needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

For instance, if someone was blind would they get a discount when going to the cinema?

Ive never heard of discounts for disabled people, if there was I wouldnt take it. Wouldnt you be discriminating against people who are of able bodied.

And yes, I do have have a disability.

The zoo prices are here, there is quite a discount for people with special needs:
    http://www.dublinzoo.ie/inside.asp?pageId=9&sectionId=4&level=1

My son has a disability and I was just wondering if there was an ID card I could get for him. It doesn't look like there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Nelly2

The concept is not unheard of. Irish Autism Action provides a photo ID card to children/individuals with Autism. http://www.autismsupport.ie/assets/files/downloads/Autism-ID-Card-Application.pdf
    It's not necessarily to avail of discounts but could be used for same. It can be used to bypass long queues and use specials needs entrances to public attractions like the zoo. Places like EuroDisney or Legoland accept these cards, allowing the holder and their party to avoid the queues for the rides and characters and provide access to special viewing points for parades etc.
    Personally, I don't see it as discriminating against able bodied people, just recognising the special needs of the individual.
    I don't know if any other organisations provide such an ID card but it would be worth contacting an organisation relevant to your son's disability to see if they do.
    Some places might accept a letter from a health professional or consultant but realistically how long would a piece of paper last in your wallet or handbag?? Something longer lasting like an ID card (or maybe something similiar to a medical bracelet) would be ideal.

• Advertisement

I didn't know about the autism card, thank you I will check that out.
    We went to the zoo today and I had letters in case.
    I wasn't asked for any proof. My son got in at a reduced rate and I got in free as a carer for him.

Advertisement