Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glacial Super League Season 2 Session 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

No
    Ack. I just realised I actually cant make it this week >_<
    I'll slap some posters up around Cork though, so hopefully that'll wrangle up a replacement =D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

No
    Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Was in the Crescent today trying to spread the word - shops are a lot less willing to put things up than I remember. Gamestop took one (and the assistant was very enthusiastic - hopefully he makes it in) and managed to put a couple up on bulletin boards (they stand out!).

Must hit town and U.L. next - probably tomorrow.

I was in Game in town and spoke to someone. They normally don't take posters but might take flyers. Having said, we have a very professional poster, so we might be lucky. There are a few SF players in there.

HMV in town have a notice board for music events-there is still space...perhaps we could get one up there. The staff in the gaming area are friendly too.

Not sure about gamestop but Ziggy (manager) is a very sound bloke and, again, there are SF players there.

Outside of the main gaming hotspots, you'd probably get a poster up in the Gathering without hassle.

I was thinking, if we talked to the staff of one of the stores about running a event in one of their stores. Game ran a "beat the staffr" sf4 event last Saturday. If we put up a prize and anyone that beats one of our players, they get entered into a draw for a prize? We could get alot of publicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

No
    Cool Tony, I will head into them (may not actually get the chance today :(). The 'Beat A Player' sounds like an interesting idea if we can get the word out - again, requires a lot of publicity (and may be harder to get the word out than these sessions).

Need a good prize - hopefully not too costly :D (we'll just try and take Ryan Hart's record!)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I've been coerced into transporting a certain player to this, so looks like I'll be there too :p

No
    Hotaru wrote: »
    I've been coerced into transporting a certain player to this, so looks like I'll be there too :p

Excellent - we have found Sairus' replacement :) Playing, yes? I'm curious to see this Ryu after reading the Good Games thread.

Tried to get a bit of practice in last night...Once again, these online ranked matches did not go great! Always a good boost before a session.

🤪

• Advertisement

No
    Excellent - we have found Sairus' replacement :)
    I suppose I cant argue with upgrading to the newer beardless model.

Printing out some posters here... man, next time I make posters I'm going to make them black and white then hand colour them myself! XD Much cheaper!

No
    Sairus wrote: »
    I suppose I cant argue with upgrading to the newer beardless model.

Printing out some posters here... man, next time I make posters I'm going to make them black and white then hand colour them myself! XD Much cheaper!

But what about our untalentless promoters - me! I can never stay inside the lines...I will make a request for a Chibi style poster at some point though :)

🤪

Excellent - we have found Sairus' replacement :) Playing, yes? I'm curious to see this Ryu after reading the Good Games thread.

Tried to get a bit of practice in last night...Once again, these online ranked matches did not go great! Always a good boost before a session.

Ah yea, sure I'll give it a shot :P I'm still learning (oh SO MUCH to learn >_<) but hey, practice is practice right? :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You know if any of you ever want a practice session perhaps even now including a few vids I've done that a good few times for Future Guy and would gladly for any of you either. :)

No
    Was in the Crescent today trying to spread the word - shops are a lot less willing to put things up than I remember. Gamestop took one (and the assistant was very enthusiastic - hopefully he makes it in) and managed to put a couple up on bulletin boards (they stand out!).

Must hit town and U.L. next - probably tomorrow.

And so. It begins.

• Advertisement

No
    At Glacier League Season 2 Session 1, I, FutureGuy, do hereby pledge NOT to play Ryu in any of my games. Except Onion. maybe.

It's on motherb!tches!!!!

No
    FutureGuy wrote: »
    At Glacier League Season 2 Session 1, I, FutureGuy, do hereby pledge NOT to play Ryu in any of my games. Except Onion. maybe.

Ooooooh!

🤪

No
    Ooooooh!

I have my Akuma U1 perfected. :D Jokes aside, I will play as a new character tomorrow regardless of how I fare.

No
    I heard you've been doing a bit of Akuma (going to show me up ridiculously easily!) and DeeJay recently. Both interesting characters - much more than that snorefest Ryu (:D)

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

FutureGuy wrote: »

Your new character KILLS honda.

Use his projectile from range and when he jumps you may either use ex d u k or crouching roundhouse as AA (with a little range). You NEED to be unpredictable with speed and timing of the projectile because On1on is used to my Guile.

I'm pretty sure his U1 can punish a couple of flavours of headbutt. Try the different strengths in training.

I was also able to defeat On1ons Makoto pretty clean with him two after 2 or 3 rounds. Alternate timings of his projectile and remember sobat is armour breaking so can restrict his ability to focus or ex dash.

No

Use his projectile from range and when he jumps you may either use ex d u k or crouching roundhouse as AA (with a little range).

I'm pretty sure his U1 can punish a couple of flavours of headbutt. Try the different strengths in training.

I was also able to defeat On1ons Makoto pretty clean with him two after 2 or 3 rounds. Alternate timings of his projectile and remember sobat is armour breaking so can restrict his ability to focus or ex dash.

I'm planning on playing one of 4 characters tomorrow. Viper, Akuma, Deejay and Fei Long. Whoever I choose in game 1 will be the same character throughout. Hype.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

No

Use his projectile from range and when he jumps you may either use ex d u k or crouching roundhouse as AA (with a little range). You NEED to be unpredictable with speed and timing of the projectile because On1on is used to my Guile.

DooM only ever wins cause of the lag (:P) My Makoto will kill whatever you can bring tomorrow Futureguy :D Kara-Karakusa and axe kick BnBs await you. SEICHUSEN GODANZUKI!

HYPE

No
    Just a little something (I wish I could say it was just thrown together but unfortunately, I'm not practiced enough for that :D).

Under a min; hopefully you enjoy!

🤪

No
    I was going to complain about Matt beating on Rose in his clip, but nature took its rightful course by the end =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Its a damn good thing Ireland now has active Google street maps and I was able to check where exactly Movie Drome is!

Anyway, if anyone else is traveling for the first time to this, here is the map I produced, courtesy of google maps.

maptomoviedrone.jpg

A = Limerick Station

B = Movie Drome

• Advertisement

No
    Nice work Misty!

Also, if anyone needs to get in contact - i.e. they fear getting lost. PM me and I'll pass on my number (not the greatest for directions but I'll be sure to have someone nearby who is!)

Finally, if anyone is looking for it, it's Movie Drome :D

🤪

No
    Ggs to everyone today, it's getting harder to win this with each passing month. I'll leave sabre fill in all the details.

No
    A lot of great games today. People had to deal with the extra pressure of people occasionally wandering in for a glance (often with kids in tow!) :)

I'm pretty sure there's some good matches on my camera so must get to work on them (probably tomorrow).

D4RK ONION takes the points (and packet of Glacier mints) from the first session. Three way tie for 2nd - Generic_name and FutureGuy get seperated on head-to-head matchup (so Generic gets the points for 2nd); Misty Chaos comes 4th by Matches Won (having claimed six wins as well).

Leaderboard after Session 1:
    1st: D4RK ONION - 15 points (+15)
    2nd: Generic_name - 12 points (+12)
    3rd: FutureGuy - 10 points (+10)
    4th: Misty Chaos - 8 points (+8)
    5th-8th: Sabre0001 - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Chris - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Burning Eclipse - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Mr. K - 6 points (+6)
    9th: Hotaru - 3 points (+3)

A month break now to the next session so plenty of time for practice. I'm sure some people will be drilling matchups and their own fundamentals...If only there weren't other good games due out :D

🤪

GGs to everyone I played today, it was worth the trip. Once again I saw just how different playing people in person is to playing them online. Some close matches were had during the course of the day and I learned that just because Hakan is low tier, I should really do something more than use him as a punching bag in training mode.

Oh yeah, the match between me and Future Guy was recorded, lets just say he gets a little salty. :P

As you can see Sai, I repped Cork quite well, I think.

YEA 3 POINTS BITCHEZ :D

Ah no seriously, I had a great time. Got more of a chance to learn things compared to at Inferno, and, most importantly, I took 2 rounds off D4RK ONION :p

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

No
    You took 2 rounds off my El Fuerte. GGs :P

Very impressive play by everyone today. Particularly Generic's Hakan and Misty. Good stuff!

Futureguy... Next time :P

No

Oh yeah, the match between me and Future Guy was recorded, lets just say he gets a little salty. :P

And lets also just say that I apologised to you for getting annoyed, but if you want to bring it up here, I have no problem with that. Hype etc. I also shook your hand straight after the match and congratulated you.

I don't like to lose, and you played well. I was angry and myself for getting hit by the same move so many times. Like a lemming. I'll look at it, learn quickly from it, and I'll make sure it doesn't happen again. That's why these events are so great. I can't wait to see the video and learn where it went wrong. As Doom says, "It's nice to watch videos where you win, it's smart to watch videos where you lose"

I got angry at my first inferno too. It's a side of the game I need to improve on, but it also drives me to go into training for 3 hours and make sure when I meet that players again, it'll be a different story.

It was great to have you today and I do hope that you attend again because we need a good Juri on the scene! Your use of normals for aa is awesome.

GGs again. Ryu vs Juri next time :D

No
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    You took 2 rounds off my El Fuerte. GGs :P

Very impressive play by everyone today. Particularly Generic's Hakan and Misty. Good stuff!

Futureguy... Next time :P

GGs man, looking forward to watching our match as it was epic. I thought it would go downhill very fast after that first round lol.

No worries future guy, we all get salty at the best of times ( I know how it feels, trust me, ranked mode online makes me want to tear my hair out sometimes! ) but it was still a pretty tense match regardless ( went to the last round. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

No
    Really well run session today. 9 players and we easily fit it into 2 and a half hours. Standard keeps getting better too. Not happy with how I played at all though. My execution was terrible; lost count of the amount of times I fluffed my input for U2. :(

Advertisement