Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best foreign currency prices!

Options
  • 03-10-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

hi

was just wondering if there is a site where you can get info on all the irish banks and how much 1000 dollars will cost from each one for example. surely this is an easy way to get this info without having to go into each bank!!!

any recommendations? i usually use aib but they rip me off

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What do you mean "i usually use aib but they rip me off" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The only way to get the info without going into each bank is to ring them. There is no way to check what the banks are offering online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

snubbleste wrote: »
    What do you mean "i usually use aib but they rip me off" ?

thought this was simple to understand :-) but anyway i usually go into aib to get my foreign currency and they rip me off!!

euro was 1.375 to the dollar on friday and aib were offering 1.32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

mickman wrote: »
    euro was 1.375 to the dollar on friday and aib were offering 1.32

You do realise that no bank will give you the rate quoted on the news or the exchange websites like xe.com, don't you? This isn't exclusive to AIB, nor is it a rip-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

jor el wrote: »
    You do realise that no bank will give you the rate quoted on the news or the exchange websites like xe.com, don't you? This isn't exclusive to AIB, nor is it a rip-off.

sigh!! of course i know that but i also reliase that all banks offer different rates. just thought there might be a site that showed the different banks and their current rates

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

jor el wrote: »

+1

In my experience, you're best to add another 3 or 4% to what xe.com or the like quote - to be covered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You don't have to go into each bank, there is an easier way. You can telephone them and ask for a quote including all charges.
    The only bank I know that puts their rates online is NIB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

snubbleste wrote: »
    You don't have to go into each bank, there is an easier way. You can telephone them and ask for a quote including all charges.
    The only bank I know that puts their rates online is NIB

thats good, wish there was an NIB near me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

If you trade a lot of currency or even just a little but often, it may be worth using a money transfer service.
    No, I don't mean Western Union (who charge bad rates in exchange for convinience)

I use currencyonline.com but there are others which may be better.

These sorts of companies typically give you a better rate than the banks and can offer extra features like only processing the transaction when the market gets to the rate you put in.

Advertisement