Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Kindle 3G from us queries?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

I have a mate who is coming over from US, if i get him to buy a Kindle 3G in a US Store would i have any problems using it in Ireland apart from having to get an Irish AC adaptor. Would this be an international version and would i just register with amazon.com and it would be the same as ordering online and getting delivered to Ireland?

All advice welcome.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

Any info would be great!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

My kindle is arriving from the .com store tomorrow. As far as I know, they're exactly the same. It even comes with a US lead, but a converter, so I assume this means that the US model and the one they send to Ireland is exactly the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Got my Kindle yesterday from US, three day delivery, and having no problems. It comes with a usb lead that can plug into any of the new apple chargers that have a usb port or any charger that has it.
    Got the wifi version worked out as 150euros. Its grand for me have free wifi in work and can just sync up at home as well. Dont bother with 3g version as if you have a good phone you wont need the browser on your kindle and how often would you be out and about going I must have this book right now. Just wait till you get home and sync like an ipod or pop into mac donalds and use their wifi.
    Amazing screen and its very readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Got my Kindle yesterday from US, three day delivery, and having no problems. It comes with a usb lead that can plug into any of the new apple chargers that have a usb port or any charger that has it.
    Got the wifi version worked out as 150euros. Its grand for me have free wifi in work and can just sync up at home as well. Dont bother with 3g version as if you have a good phone you wont need the browser on your kindle and how often would you be out and about going I must have this book right now. Just wait till you get home and sync like an ipod or pop into mac donalds and use their wifi.
    Amazing screen and its very readable.

I notice Amazon add a figure on for excise costs, does this mean you don't get stuck with customs/VAT costs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ncmc wrote: »
    I notice Amazon add a figure on for excise costs, does this mean you don't get stuck with customs/VAT costs etc?

Would like to know this also.

The price for the wifi version is $139 which is €95. How much extra is it to get it to my door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

This is what my invoice totalled.
    Item Subtotal: $189.00
    Shipping and handling: $20.98
    Import Fees Deposit: $44.10
    Total: $254.08
    Paid by Visa: $254.08
    Because you have paid the duty, you shouldn't get stung once it arrives - but I read on other thread how some did - Amazon later refunded them.

Loads more info on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055984061

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Thanks.

Pricey enough after taxes and delivery isn't it?

I guess for the wifi version then it would be:

$139
    + $21 del
    + $29 VAT

$189 (€139).

They are €128 before delivery on amazon.co.uk. Can Irish customers even buy them from the UK site?

I might wait until someone i know is going over to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

My sis had one delivered to the UK - in the end she saved just about €15.00 - and had to wait until my brother came to visit, to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭paddym1

I got mine 2 months ago from Amazon. UK shop cannot sell to Ireland, you have to buy through the international site. I paid just under €150, including duty and delivery. I soon realised it was only holding charge for 2 days (quotes up to a month) - contacted them and had replacement sent FOC the same day (arrived 2 or 3 days later). I then had to pay the postage to return the original one, but when I contacted them I was refunded the price of this (plus the phone call to USA) directly to my credit card.
    Bottom line - you may save a small amount by bringing one from USA, and if that's convenient then do it. However, I found Amazon's service superb, and for me the ability to return it without any hassle was worth the few Euro you night save orherwise. By the way, it is a great item, highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Zapy

paddym1, did you order the 3G version? If so, how is it working out. What network does it connect to and how good/bad is the browser?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

I have a USA 3G 2nd generation Kindle and it mostly works here and have had no problems downloading new books to it via the internet or via USB.

There is a premium change for downloading subscription items (Newspapers, magazines, etc..) e.g. In the states I paid $5 a month to read the Irish Times, whereas in Ireland they will add an additional $4.99 per week charge to get these subscriptions. They also charge $0.99 per meg for transferring personal documents via wireless. You can avoid these fees by downloading via USB and you must opt-in for this service so charges are not automatic.

The other thing I have noticed is that I cannot browse the internet on it in Ireland. In USA I was able to use the basic web browser on the Kindle to browse the internet for free. This might be because I live in an area with poor 3G but interestingly they say that this basic browsing remains free when abroad. I have however never been able to make this work.

Zapy, I did not order the 3G version - I have no need for it since I have a wireless connection at home. On WiFi, the internet browser seems to work OK, but I haven't really spent much time on it (such s small keyboard etc. makes navigation slow, so I tend to use the laptop).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭shalom

Paddym1, I'd really appreciate it if you could put a link up for the one you bought. I am seriously thinking of getting one for my 14 year old daughter. Would you recommend for her age group? And can teen magazines be downloaded onto it. i spend a fortune on these.

Thanks, for any info.

Shalom, if you log on to www.amazon.com the kindle is on the front page. You will be directed to their International store. (Amazon UK will not ship to an Irish address).

Update: I just had a look at the site, and they are now quoting delivery times of 7-9 weeks.

As regards buying one for your daughter, I can't really help - I don't know about the availability of magazines etc. - I really only use mine for books. However my 10 yo daughter has read a few books on mine, and found it very handy

I also sent you a pm with some more information.

Advertisement