Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I tip my helmet to all city centre bikers!

• 03-10-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

Well,

Fair play to ya's! Had to drive from Tallaght to Dundrum last thursday morning and for the love of god I never wish to have to do that again.

Cars hate bikers. I used to commute from Coolock to College Green about 10 years ago and I never had such problems. I was cut off, beep at for not moving quick enough. I filtered traffic and was given dirty looks. Woman doing make up and then not moving. Men just being all up'y in the large cars and van drivers not even seeing you. Mental is the only way to put it.

So in one 40 min journey I official say that if you have to do that day in day out, I think your mental........

One last thing to note is that bikers are not even friendly to other bikers in rush hour :eek:

I guess I prefer the easier life...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ah it's not that bad, ya get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Welcome to the Jungle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I thought that this was going to be a thread about greeting other riders in town. :confused:

You do get used to riding in Dublin, the more you do it.

A lot of car drivers either don't see you, or don't care about you if they do see you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

P.C. wrote: »
    I thought that this was going to be a thread about greeting other riders in town. :confused:

Am I only one who walks down the footpath, see a bike coming and instinctively nod my head at them? :D

If you've not been commuting for a while you'll get back into it. Take your time and build up the confidence

Golden Rule: Everyone is trying to kill you so treat them like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Am I only one who walks down the footpath, see a bike coming and instinctively nod my head at them? :D

No, you are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

as long as u realise everyone wants to kill you on the road you are grand:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Well,

Fair play to ya's! Had to drive from Tallaght to Dundrum last thursday morning and for the love of god I never wish to have to do that again.

You went through the city centre to get from Tallaght to Dundrum:confused: There's lovely multi lane roads most of the way if you go N81-M50.
    One last thing to note is that bikers are not even friendly to other bikers in rush hour :eek:

More then likely too busy trying to keep an eye out for the blind cagers pulling out in front of them, then looking at other bikers to nod to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Done my army bike test in Dublin.. Started in Rathmines at lnchtime, out to Blessington via Tallaght, Accross to naas, and back to rathmines via saggart and tallaght again.

After that, anywhere else is a doddle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really do not see what people get so bent out of shape about constantly about riding a bike in traffic. I ride my bike through the city every day, from southside to northside – about 10km each way, and honestly it’s very rare I get angry about anyone doing something really stupid. I filter all the time and often just scoot up the centre of the road with moving traffic on each side. I overtake lots and weave between cars etc – I’m not a lunatic but I’m pretty nippy around the place. I love it. I consider it a challenge. It wakes me up in the morning and it’s a fun way to end my long day in work. I’ve never had a single spill or incident in almost 3 years of riding every day to work and a lot of weekends.

The thing is you just have to assume every car could potentially do something stupid. Don’t put yourself in a situation where they could hit you, give yourself plenty of space and use your speed accordingly. I pretty much always assume that cars are not looking for me, and are not going to see me – so I manoeuvre accordingly. Maybe I’m wrong, but if someone is constantly having problems and having scares from what cars are doing, maybe they are just not looking far enough ahead or anticipating other drivers correctly.

Getting the proper training is absolutely essential and is worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm with zascar, its not that big a deal. Other bikers are usually sound enough. The odd young fella who's obviously just learned purely to commute can be a pain. You obviously can't wave at every biker, but I drive a BMW gs and always get a nod off other gsers.
    Take your time. Experience helps more than training imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you've not been commuting for a while you'll get back into it. Take your time and build up the confidence

Golden Rule: Everyone is trying to kill you so treat them like this

A pedestrian nodded to me and me mate near Kinsale yesterday!! Was it you?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Del2005 wrote: »
    You went through the city centre to get from Tallaght to Dundrum:confused: There's lovely multi lane roads most of the way if you go N81-M50.

More then likely too busy trying to keep an eye out for the blind cagers pulling out in front of them, then looking at other bikers to nod to.

I used the M50.
    Zascar wrote: »
    I really do not see what people get so bent out of shape about constantly about riding a bike in traffic. I ride my bike through the city every day, from southside to northside – about 10km each way, and honestly it’s very rare I get angry about anyone doing something really stupid. I filter all the time and often just scoot up the centre of the road with moving traffic on each side. I overtake lots and weave between cars etc – I’m not a lunatic but I’m pretty nippy around the place. I love it. I consider it a challenge. It wakes me up in the morning and it’s a fun way to end my long day in work. I’ve never had a single spill or incident in almost 3 years of riding every day to work and a lot of weekends.

The thing is you just have to assume every car could potentially do something stupid. Don’t put yourself in a situation where they could hit you, give yourself plenty of space and use your speed accordingly. I pretty much always assume that cars are not looking for me, and are not going to see me – so I manoeuvre accordingly. Maybe I’m wrong, but if someone is constantly having problems and having scares from what cars are doing, maybe they are just not looking far enough ahead or anticipating other drivers correctly.

I agree with you on this. I was more surprised than annoyed etc. I think you'd have to have your head screwed on for any major urban driving.

As for training, when I moved to a big bike I got 16hr in with Tony Toner, and my god did that open my eyes. I thought, if I had of done this when i started, before getting my provisional, driving a moped in my bros back garden and off I went. I would not have crashed in the 1st place years ago that lead me to giving biking up for years! I was much more wary of nipping in and out of traffic, not easy on the larger bike compared to the aul moped!

But sure I'd say Im at more of a risk driving in the country than in the city. I can drive for miles and never see another bike so, When I come up to dublin in the van, a bike will fly by and I've got to remind myself oh yeah there are bikes in dublin....!

Well looks like I've to do the trip again on thursday so I'll be better prepared this time.

As for the biker node, I wonder does it depend on the type of bike your on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭rameire

i used to do the northside to southside journey 10 years ago,
    was different back then, i was driving a moped, things were slower, filtering didnt happen much as traffic was lighter, plus i drove in the gutter back then.

Now i travel up from Athy to Southside on a big boys bike.
    i notice everyone is out to get me, and i live with it.
    i have it in my mind that some day some idiot driving with their phone to their ear is going to take me out and the wife will get a big payout.

I also find that most bikers I see are friendly, i give and take the nod.
    most bikers i filter behind and want to pass, once they see me they move over, same goes for me, ill move over.

and on another note, i find truckers really friendly to bikers such as myself especially on the motorways.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Yeah I agree with friendly truckers. I did a trip to cork and they'd move over fir ya or flash and wave.

It is strange that Bikers see truckers and truckers see bikers, but car drivers see neither?

I have never been cut up by a truck, or a motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I used the M50.

Then why does the thread title have city centre?
    It is strange that Bikers see truckers and truckers see bikers, but car drivers see neither?

I have never been cut up by a truck, or a motorcycle.

Truck driving requires proper training unlike cars and has a tougher test. Also truck drivers are constantly watching out for cars that don't see them!! Or cars that do and still pull out in front of the truck so they don't get delayed.

BTW never go to the cycling forum with that attitude;)

rameire wrote: »

I also find that most bikers I see are friendly, i give and take the nod.
    most bikers i filter behind and want to pass, once they see me they move over, same goes for me, ill move over.

and on another note, i find truckers really friendly to bikers such as myself especially on the motorways.
    Lots of bikers will nod if you're both stopped at lights. Or sometimes have a bit of a chat. I think it's the learner/commuter guys that are the worst. Usually on a scooter or 125.
    Truckers are definitely the most considerate road users. I know what happens when I get behind a truck (outside the city): He'll move in, I'll pass, I give a wave and he'll give a flash (ooh eer!).
    Cyclists can feck right off. The one thing all road users can agree on is that cyclists are the worst road users of all! Even when I cycle they annoy me more than anyone else.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think Cyclists are some of the most dangerous things on the roads. Not really the cyclists themselves (well, maybe some:p) but its the fact that car drivers try to overtake them and change position suddenly, and when you are filtering between two lanes of traffic and a cyclist is hidden behind a car, and then the car behind does not see you and tries to overtake, it can get very hairy. I always make sure to look out for them and then stay in a safe position just in case

I cycle myself and hate most other cyclists.
    Especially when you are clearly faster, you overtake them, then stop at the next red light and then sail through it.
    So you overtake them again, stop at the next red light and they sail through again. And so on........
    Or you are clearly faster but they stop right in front of you at the lights, maybe offended as you are faster??

On the camarardie, I had stickers on my bike and helmet for well known Irish biker site.
    Pull up at the lights and another member would spot this and start chatting to you. I did the same, love it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Lots of bikers will nod if you're both stopped at lights. Or sometimes have a bit of a chat. I think it's the learner/commuter guys that are the worst. Usually on a scooter or 125.

I ride a Yamaha Xmax(125cc scooter) and have tried many times to engage bikers whilst sitting at lights etc. Tbh i've given up as no-one else acknowledges my nods or hellos. One guy on a Fazer even laughed at me!! I think it's the whole Bike v Scooter ****e myself. Now i just mind my own business.

• Advertisement

I cycle myself and hate most other cyclists.
    Especially when you are clearly faster, you overtake them, then stop at the next red light and then sail through it.
    So you overtake them again, stop at the next red light and they sail through again. And so on........
    Or you are clearly faster but they stop right in front of you at the lights, maybe offended as you are faster??

lord lucan wrote: »
    I ride a Yamaha Xmax(125cc scooter) and have tried many times to engage bikers whilst sitting at lights etc. Tbh i've given up as no-one else acknowledges my nods or hellos. One guy on a Fazer even laughed at me!! I think it's the whole Bike v Scooter ****e myself. Now i just mind my own business.

Not giving a return nod is just plain ignorant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Zascar wrote: »

Agree totally with this - rarely get annoyed and generally it is with Cyclists as they sail through yet another red light or just weave out of traffic without looking meaning you need to jam on the brakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

came through town earlier today on the way back from killiney , quite pleased no on tried to kill me, but in fairness its not that bad;)

Then why does the thread title have city centre?

Well basically the little bit I put up with was enough for me, so I tip my helmet to those who do it more often than me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Not giving a return nod is just plain ignorant!

But he's on a scooter!..... :)

I never know when I should nod/wave and when I shouldn't. I think there's some code I'm unaware of. I know a couple of lads in gangs that will only wave to other members, even if they know you. I think some people try to follow that english rule about only acknowledging people who are riding the same bike as you. But then there's other people who wave at everybody. I try to wait and see if they're going to wave/nod at me before nodding/waving back, but this often means I'm past them before I can react. :o

On topic : I don't like trying to drive through traffic 'cause my bike over-heats, so I'm always trying to rush to get to some clean air. On the plus side the extra revs I use to make sure the engine doesn't cut out means that if they don't see me they're definitely going to hear me. I do find that half the ****ers in cars that do see you will deliberately move to try and block you, but then, the other half do try to move out of your way. 90% of the time they'll both be left far behind at the next red light anyway.

I never know when I should nod/wave and when I shouldn't.

Do it to everyone! Except scooters :p

I give a wave like your mother gave you coming home after your first day of school, awwwww
    A real punch the air, going mad wave, bikers probably think I'm a fool

Everyone returns it.....except for those on Harleys???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Done my army bike test in Dublin.. Started in Rathmines at lnchtime, out to Blessington via Tallaght, Accross to naas, and back to rathmines via saggart and tallaght again.

After that, anywhere else is a doddle.
    Army bike test? Sounds interesting. What are bikes used for in the army anyway? Reconaissance, relaying messages when communications are down, or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Do it to everyone! Except scooters :p

down-with-this-sort-of-thing1.jpg

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I nod or tilt me head to all bikes whenever I can. Exception is when filtering or moving in heavy traffic when concentrating on the road takes precedence to acknowledging another like minded 2 wheeler compadré.
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement