Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rate Blackrock as a place for a family with young children?

Options
  • 03-10-2010 1:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

We are a family of 4 (2 boys 5 and 3 respecitively) who are considering moving to Blackrock for what we hope will be a better quality of life than where we are now. We would like to be able to take full advantage of any local amenmities such as cycling, climbing, sailing (incl kayak/rowing), scouts, rugby, football and so on.

Can someone give us their opinion about what they would see as he pros/cons e.g. is the seaside, coast beach an amenity that would be easily used or would you need to live somewhere further south? What are the primary schools like? Would it be safe for children a little older than ours but not necessarily teenagers to cycle? Are there good clubs etc for children?

We are really interested in a "forever place" to live and would like our children to be able to get some independence and not be 100% reliant on us to drive them everywhere until they are 18.

Well anything at all that you would be willing to sharesmile.gif

thanks
    Mus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

All those things really depend on what part of blackrock you would be considering living in. Have you been looking at houses or are you not that far on yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mus

Hi,

Yes we have looked at a house on Rock Road which we liked.

thanks
    mus

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Blackrock will be still very overpriced house wise.

as for the listed.

cycle lanes all over the place
    climbing in USD or Dalkey quarry
    sailing / kayaking out of Dun Laoghaire Harbour
    there are many local scout groups - Blackrock being the closest, not entirely sure where they are located. have a look here: http://www.29thdublin.org/wp/
    not so sure about rugby and football but I'm sure there are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Blackrock will be still very overpriced house wise.

as for the listed.

cycle lanes all over the place
    climbing in USD or Dalkey quarry
    sailing / kayaking out of Dun Laoghaire Harbour
    there are many local scout groups - Blackrock being the closest, not entirely sure where they are located. have a look here: http://www.29thdublin.org/wp/
    not so sure about rugby and football but I'm sure there are

Not to mention the fact that Blackrock has two good shopping centers, a village with restaurants and clothes shops and an abundance of transport options which will make it very easy for you guys (OP and family) to get around. There may be a high price for these luxuries. However, I would highly recommend moving there and I would like to congradulate you in advance for your new dwelling.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Once there is a McDonalds in the town you will be fine. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Blackrock is a nice area. Although from an estate agents viewpoint it can cover a huge area beyond the actual village.

There's Rugby nearby, Wanderer's RFC on the Merrion Road, towards town. Monkstown RFC (actually in Sandymount). Blackrock RFC, in Stradbrook near Blackrock and Monkstown. Also Seapoint RFC, which isn't actually in nearby Seapoint, but is further away in Ballybrack.

Local Schools like Blackrock, St Michaels and Monkstown also play rugby, but the kids have to be attending the school. Other goods schools nearby are Colaiste Eoin and Oatlands in Stillorgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

come and join us further down the Dart. I live on the Sandycove/Dalkey border and it is a really lovely place to live. Quiet, safe but has great local pubs and restaurants, excellent schools and plenty to do with Killiney Hill and Dun Laoghaire both on your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Blackrock is a fantastic area, I had a great childhood there, really safe place. Huge choice of both primary and secondary schools in Blackrock and nearby, two shopping centres, a McDonalds ;), two parks etc..and its only a bus ride (if you're near the dual carriageway) or a dart trip into town.
    There's a football club called Granada in nearby and Kilmacud are a Gaelic team based in Stillorgan.

Be careful looking at houses to see are they actually in Blackrock. Due to the postal sorting office areas as far apart as Mount Merrion Avenue and Clonkeen Road both have a Blackrock address.

House prices are still relatively high compared to more inland areas but they have dropped considerably all the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Blackrock being the closest, not entirely sure where they are located.

just beside seapoint dart station, was in them for bout 10 years, regret having to leave, best scout troop i have ever experienced, amazing trips, amazing range of activities. you cant really go wrong with blackrock

Advertisement